Chapter 18 – Awakening spell
45 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dokk clicked his tongue, “T-These b-bastards used skills.”

The one Yeung had just slapped to unconsciousness, the one they called no. 207— after scores of orcs came out of hiding and attacked them, he approached and introduced himself. He offered to help Yeung with the orcs in exchange for Dokk's assault rifle. His face paled, however, when he saw Yeung and Dokk taking care of the attack with not much trouble. He called for no. 137 and no. 138 who were in position for an ambush.

With an initially small and thin body, No. 137 grew half a size larger and attempted to seize the rifle from Dokk's hands. Dokk reacted quickly and released the gun to No. 137's surprise, and instead put the guy into a headlock, robbing him of his consciousness and causing him to foam at the mouth.

No. 138 who was on top of the roof of a small building, leapt down like a frog and tried to take Anna hostage with a knife. He was befuddled, however, when Anna displayed her own skill and smacked him on the head with a steel bar she'd picked up earlier somewhere along the road.

The instigator, No. 207, quickly turned around after seeing his colleagues fall one by one, but was caught by his collar by Yeung who had suddenly appeared behind him. He lost his consciousness as well when he was used as a shield to block some of the orcs' incoming attacks.

“Chris!” Anna yelled, “Chris is gone!”
Only when they turned to look at Christopher's position at the back did they realize that the trio of convicts was actually a foursome. A fourth person must've silently approached from behind and kidnapped little Christopher.

“Anna, calm down. We'll get him back, we'll get Chris back,” Yeung reassured her and took care of the remaining orcs while Dokk tied up the convicts.

“Wah— Was it a skill to control monsters? Anna, what do you think?” Yeung asked.

Anna momentarily put aside her worry and came closer, “I'm not sure but if I had to guess...” she eyed no.207's beaten face, “It would be a skill closer to [incite] than [control]. He could have willed the monsters to stop attacking if he was able to control them.”

“What about the guy that took Chris? Did anyone see where he went?” Yeung asked.

“N-No, I was b-busy with t-this pop-up b-bodybuilder.”

“M-Me as well. The kangaroo guy startled me.”

Dokk and Anna pointed to no. 137 and 138.

“Guess we'll have to get it out from these guys then.”

“Y-You slapped him too h-hard.” Dokk reprimanded Yeung, while himself slapping no.137 to wake him.

“Kuh... My bad...” Yeung went around the orc's bodies while he apologized and started absorbing experience points.

[Mana insufficient for the release of tier III species privileges.]

“This again...” Yeung thought, “Privileges?" what did tier III species mean?

Even before— dealing with stray goblins and orcs, the mana oozing from their bodies would inadvertently enter his body and continuously display this screen of text.

“Should I keep absorbing then? Until— Wah!?”

[Mana insufficient for the full release of tier III species privileges.]

[Minimum threshold satisfied.]

[Unlocking Initial Parameters.]

At this moment, a large amount of information appeared in front of his eyes— his name, race, status, and a bunch of numbers and words that he couldn't make sense of as of yet— but what he immediately looked for from the status screen was something that he could maybe put to use straight away.

[Eyes of the Yurusif ]

“Wah— Eyes of the what now...?” Yeung furrowed his brows. Yurusif? It was an unfamiliar and foreign-sounding name. Was it a passive skill? There wasn't even a description of what it did or how it worked.

“Come to think of it— Dokk's skill also had something to do with his eyes,” Dokk's skill that oddly paired well with his poor eyesight. Though conditional as he said he needed to look through the lens of his glasses to be able to lock onto targets. At least it had a description. And Anna's— a fantastic skill, but it was like a parody of a superpower, “For it to be effective, she'd have to...” Yeung shook his head with a slight blush...

—So what could his skill do? He wondered. He scanned the status screen a few more times, growing more perplexed. One detail causing him to sigh, unsure of whether to feel relieved or disappointed at his normality.

[Race : Human]

“...I should be happy! Not like I wanted to be an alien and fly around or anything, I mean, the batguy's human, right?” Nobody could hear his inner thoughts but he still went on, “Though I'm not rich, and neither am I incredibly smart... huhuhu.”

“—Y-Yeung! D-Did you hear what I s-said?”

“Ah? I'm sorry, what?”
“L-Let's wake these g-guys up and ask again.”
Dokk's voice had recalled his focus. Yeung closed the status screen and brought his attention back to the tied-up convicts.

“Hmm?”

A floating screen of text over the heads of the convicts caught his eye.

[No.207]

[No.137]

[No.138]

No. 207, No. 137, and No.138— The same numbers on their prisoner tags and their names that he knew.

“Wah—?” Yeung shifted his glance to the top of Dokk's head and then to Anna's, whilst pushing his tongue against his cheek in pondering.

[Lee Dokk]

[Anna Wilson]

“Names tags?” Yeung muttered.

“W-What's wrong with y-your eyes...?” Dokk suddenly asked, Yeung's eyes were glowing with a slight cyan hue.

“My eye— eyes?” Yeung came to a realization.

[Eyes of the Yurusif]

He must've activated his skill, but didn't Dokk mention that he could already see names and such before? "What a bust," Yeung complained inwardly. He stared at the others once more— there must've been something more to the skill than seeing names.

“W-What?” Dokk asked dubiously while Anna blushed after being stared at so intensely.

“—Ah!” Yeung's eyes widened, he crouched down and stared at No.137.

“T-The hell? W-Was there a hole in m-my pants or s-something!?” Dokk exclaimed, quickly stood up, and examined his pants.

"Oh, right. Dokk's crotch was in line with no. 137's name tag," Yeung deferred giving an explanation and instead delivered a slap to no.137's face.

“Hey, I know you're awake.” He stated. “Tell us where your friend took the kid.”

No.137 flinched a bit after being hit but still feigned unconsciousness.

“If you don't speak up now, I'll put an apple in your mouth and leave you as a tribute to the orcs.”

“No-No! D-Dont! P-Please, I'll tell you where he went!”
A simple threat served as the spell that broke the curse of fake sleep.

3