59. Dorian’s Moment
154 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A loud thump billowed through the metal flooring. Another fell, as others struggled to maintain a kneeling position with wobbly knees. Whenever someone yielded the gravity was momentarily lowered allowing them free of the platform. 

The display raised back to four times the current gravity. Dorian kept the audience engaged as they cheered in amazement for those left standing. I was the only one that looked like an erect sore thumb.

The battle gear Dorian wore was impressive, I didn’t know they had such great enhancing effects. It sucked that one of them had gotten into his hands, but I still felt excitement for when everyone back home would wear them.

The monitor displayed the number eight as the last participant other than the two of us were left remaining.

“I will beat you!” Dorian chuckled to conceal his nervousness. I could see it in his shaky movements. This was the extent of the equipment.

Dorian took a knee the instant ten flashed up on the screen. We had reached ten times the weight, it was over.

“No! I won’t let you!” Dorian roared to himself. I was taken aback while the crowd was far too emotionally involved cheering him on.

Dorian started to infuse magic into the armor. He created an aura that negated any adverse magic surrounding him. It reminded me of the trial against that reforcer. His body looked like it was being consumed by transparent blue flames. He had broken one of the rules. No magic, but nobody was doing anything to stop him.

I saw a technician about to shut down the field, but stopped by a superior. It was the military guy that confronted us about the line hold up. He planned to let this carry on. I thought about forfeiting since I didn’t care about the rewards or joining the military. Right as I was about to walk away Dorian grabbed a hold of my arm.

“I didn’t say you could leave. Or do you want me to tell that guy over there exactly who you are?” I knew which guy he was referring to and I figured they already knew each other.

“Fine, have it your way.” I ripped my arm away and moved back to the center.

I wasn’t struggling, though I did have a limit. The first trial had reached around fifty times gravity at the last step before the flagpole. Even with the battle suit on I can see myself struggling around forty times the gravity.

The number of spectators and cheering continued to grow. The gravity reached twenty-five and neither of us showed any signs of discomfort. I could see the technician pacing and I wondered if something bad was about to happen.

There must be a limit to the gravity field. One that we were approaching pretty fast. The speed of change became significantly slower as reached thirty-eight. It took a solid minute to raise to each next level. I was so happy to finally see Dorian struggling, albeit only a little.

“Is that your limit?” I ended up sounding sarcastic and knew it was a big mistake.

“Hah, you wish!” Dorian got a second wind and his aura grew twice as strong. His magic was strange. The aura looked like invisible blue flames yet didn’t radiate any heat whatsoever. It reminded me of Eris’s magic. That would explain why she was able to manipulate his magic so easily. 

Thinking of that I snapped my head in her direction and raised my hand. I waved in a back and forth no motion. Just in time to stop her from intervening. There was more at stake this time around and we had the military breathing down our necks.

Dorian saw my actions and followed my line of sight to find Eris in the crowd. “Don’t you dare cheat!” Dorian shouted out.

Dorian lost focus of his surroundings and concentrated solely on powering his aura. Only a matter of time until he falls to the floor. We had reached forty-two and at that point, I stopped moving as much. I felt the strain in my muscles. My circulation of ki wasn’t cutting it anymore. 

It reminded me that I never took the time to refer back to the training manual my uncle provided. I was certain further chapters would be revealed by now.

I got bored and took the time to go over plans and other random things. Without realizing the gravity field became lighter by the second until it fully powered down. Dorian toppled over onto the metallic platform having reached forty-six times gravity. 

Even with magic, I felt that was pretty impressive. Too bad he was a complete douche. Finally. I unclasped the boots and slid out of the battle suit and helmet. I handed them over to the nearest tech.

A few of the military people entered the platform to assist Dorian. I decided to leave, even if he blackmailed me there was no solid proof. Until then I won’t give him the time of day. Before I could exit the platform the military guy that was in charge got in my way. “Won’t you join the Monster Corps, Volatis? You’ve got potential, kid.” I read his name attached to his uniform, first lieutenant Wilken.

“I only wanted to try on the equipment. These battle suits are amazing!” The way he said my name irked me. He could tell I wasn’t in the mood to be recruited and changed the topic.

“Thanks for the show, we’ve got fresh recruits lining up en masse! You didn’t even have to use your speed magic.” Wilken laughed while praising my shoulder with pats.

“That brat doesn’t have any magic! He’s a no-mage!” Dorian pushed away the helping hands.

“Not what it says on his file! How dare you accuse someone with the status of a lowly no-mage!” Wilken had shut Dorian up by having his men take him out of the area.

“Pardon, the sore losers. If you ever change your mind come on down to any recruiter’s station and ask for my name. Enjoy your Regulus day, kid.” Wilken raised his hand towards the exit, in an after you gesture.

I had a bad feeling my fake identity didn’t hold up against the military’s direct verification. They had all the right to make an arrest and take me into custody, yet he was letting me leave like nothing happened.

The crowd made way giving space to pass by, enough to reunite with Eris and Mia. My gut feeling told me the guy was still staring and to not look back. I took Eris’s hand and told Mia to follow as we made our exit.

Thank you, patrons: Ajesco

You may read 1 chapter ahead on my Patreon for free. It will be released to the public as soon as a new chapter drops on this site. To make it easier to find, just filter posts to "Public".

5