#11: little sparrow
119 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I spent the next few days worrying if dad would find out about my involvement with the new information for the project.

Even though I dislike having someone else credited for my hard work, it would be much more troublesome for me to actually be recognized for the work…

Sigh.

It’s like charity work. Anonymously doing charity work, I tried to comfort myself.

Dad and Luke got busy with all the changes with the new project, so much so that we couldn’t even go on the family trip that they planned.

It was fine with me, but dad was very apologetic about it.

“Lilia, let dad know if there’s anything you want in return.”

It’s the fourth time we’ve talked about this in the past three days.

I sighed inwardly.

Well, the things I want are the things you refuse to give me, like recognition and a personal trainer…

“It’s fine dad, I totally understand how busy you are,” I gave him a sweet smile.

“My little girl is all grown up now,” he gave me a sad smile, “Being so considerate of dad.”

Honestly, I didn’t really care about going on a family trip… I would rather stay at home and read up more on the current affairs. I need to learn more about this world.

“Dad, I’ll let you know if I think of something I want,” I had no choice but to say.

“Alright, alright, let me know then,” dad gave me a pat on the head.

I nodded before heading back to my room.

Now that my mission is over, it’s time to focus on earning money again.

--

I made the final touches on my video and sent it out to my customer.

After completing my portfolio, I took on a few requests on the freelance website. The job requests weren’t difficult, but the prices weren’t that high either.

It’s enough for me to hire a personal trainer, but it’ll take some time for me to amass wealth this way.

The main problem is that large firms usually have their own in-house marketing people for this sort of work. The smaller firms can’t afford that much for each job requests, so the jobs I can find just don’t pay that well.

I guess it’s really hard to start from scratch huh.

I’m proud of my capabilities, but one thing I’ve never had to try in my past life was to start something entirely from scratch. I always had the financial backing of my family and enough personal connections…

I moved from sitting at my desk to flop down on my bed.

Fiddling with my blue hair, I wondered why Lilia doesn’t have any personal connections. Even if Luke and dad don’t agree with some of the things I do, it would still be easy to work things out behind their backs if I had a few rich friends.

Even though I didn’t have particularly close friends in my previous life because I was a workaholic – yes I admit it – I still had connections I could rely on.

With Lilia’s family background, she should definitely have more than a few rich friends. There should be a ton of people in their social circle trying to get to know her… but I haven’t gotten any invites or messages since I transmigrated here.

It’s actually kind of odd?

I wonder if the social circle here is different from the ones in my past life.

A pang of loneliness hit me suddenly. I guess I do miss socializing, even though I was never a party person. It’s still nice to go out and talk to people sometimes.

I restlessly scrolled through my phone.

{Hey Marie}

I decided to contact my one and only true friend (so far).

{Suppppp}

The immediate reply softened the frown on my face.

{What’re you up to?}

{Not much, just chilling at homeee}

Marie has gotten a lot more expressive in texting these days…

I couldn’t help but smile.

{Wanna hang?}

--

I spent the rest of the day at Marie’s house.

She lived in a double-story at a nice, quiet neighbourhood. It made me realise that she’s really someone from a different social circle. I’ve never really gotten to know someone who isn’t in high society on a personal level. Interesting.

We spent the day just sitting around in her room, chatting about random things. It was therapeutic in its own way – just talking about random, senseless things.

Marie also showed me her drawings – she had a social media account where she posted her drawings frequently. She had a signature character, a little cartoon sparrow. She would draw little stories about the sparrow. I had to admit, Marie had a talent in drawing – the little sparrow was super cute and she had quite the following on social media.

She looked like she really enjoyed drawing and connecting with her followers. I always had a bad impression of influencers on social media and so-called followers, but looking at Marie, it doesn’t seem to be all bad. Marie told me that having people enjoy her drawings made her happy, and her followers seemed to appreciate her talent by leaving kind comments too. It seemed like a healthy relationship, between artist and fans.

I decided to make a short video-story for Marie with her little sparrow as the main character. I just felt like giving her something, but buying something would be awkward since we had a large difference in wealth. I didn’t want to expose my family background either…

I stayed up late that night making a cute video about the sparrow exploring the forest. I hope she didn’t mind me using her character, but it should be fine since I’m not planning to commercialize it anyway.

To be honest… this is the first time I’ve put in effort into personally making a gift for a friend. It didn’t take me that long – just four or five hours, but I’m a little nervous about whether she’d like it.

Hopefully she’ll like it!

12