Chapter 12- Morning Lessons
588 7 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
It's weird doing two of these back-to-back, but I have a few more announcements.

First, this is likely going to be the format I use going forward on Scribble Hub, and by that I mean, I will post one chapter and then two days later I will post one to two more. If you are curious why, blame Scribble Hub's "Trending" algorithms.

Second, I will be working on a few other things over the next few weeks such as, getting a Discord, Patreon, Paypal set up, updating the glossary, and I will be searching for an artist to start doing some concept art for characters (personally I like images as I think they truly bring stories to life).

Third, I have a couple of things to take care of IRL, school work, getting my car going, you know, life. So, it might be a little over a week until I post chapter 13. Apologies, but I hope these two chapters make up for it.

Finally, and this one is big, I think I managed to write a chapter without introducing any new characters! YES, great success!

Alright now, without further ado, please enjoy the chapter.

“Princess,” I hear a soft voice whisper, “Princess.” Something pokes my cheeks. “Princess, it’s time to wake up.”

I open my eyes and right in front of my face is Avane. Her vivid red eyes stare at me, her dimpled cheeks and bright smile making her beautiful round face all the more striking.

“Argh!” I shout as I jump away from her.

“Good morning princess,” Avane smiles, “Looks like you’re in a good mood this morning.”

“Ugh… Avane, why do you do that everytime you wake me up?” I ask.

“Why do I do what?” Avane asks as she pulls the blankets off me and helps me out of bed.

“Stare at me, and have your face right next to mine when I wake up,” I clarify, “I told you already to please stop since it scares me when you’re that close.”

“But you look just like her majesty,” Avane answers, “Besides, you getting flustered when you wake up is too cute.”

I sigh aloud, “Please just stop, it’s bothersome.”

“She’s right though,” Vestele comments, “Your reaction is adorable.”

Not you too…

I get out of bed and, with Avane’s help, clean myself up. Then I pick out what I’m going to wear for the day.

“Princess, I’ve got a surprise for you,” Avane announces.

A surprise? I look over at Avane who is hiding something.

“Ta-dah!” She exclaims as she pulls a pair of light-blue pants out from behind her. “I finally managed to convince Desela to include these in your clothes for-”

“Thank you thank you thank you!” I shout as I tackle Avane, giving her a tight hug. Finally, I can wear pants. My vision starts to blur as tears begin to form. “I never thought… I’d get to wear… pants again. Thank you Avane.”

“Of course princess,” Avane replies.

I quickly get changed and am, for the first time since becoming a fairy, wearing pants.

Um… this isn’t quite what I remember. They’re kind of constricting…

“Uh, how do I look?” I ask.

“Well… maybe a little older?” Avane says.

Hmmm… maybe I should change into something else… No! I’m finally wearing pants again, I can’t change after finally getting these.

The door opens and Orophine walks in with a tray of food and places it down on the desk. Her perfectly straight hair, thin pink eyes, and stern face make her professional attitude all the more pronounced.

“Good morning princess. Looks like you finally managed to get some pants,” Orophine comments, “Since you’re done getting dressed, please eat. Desela wants to talk with you this morning.”

“Ah right, thanks,” I say as I sit down at the desk to eat my breakfast. The meal is similar to what it’s been for the last three days. It consists of some fruit, some type of grain, dairy, and a bit of meat,  however today it seems to be fish. Well, it’s not the same thing, but it’s still a pretty routine breakfast.

“Hey, Orophine. Where do the fairies get the food for Folian?” I ask, “I haven’t seen any farms around here?”

“The farms themselves aren’t kept on this island,” Orophine answers, “Instead they are kept a short distance across the lake.” I see.

As I eat my breakfast, I realize. Hmm, something’s missing… “Hey Orophine, can I get Neel or Lhoris to include something sweet into my breakfast from now on?”

“Princess, sweets are not suitable for breakfast,” Orophine, “If you want, we can make them as a snack, or you can have them after dinner.”

Well, I can’t argue with that, but they do sound nice. I sigh, “Can we do both?” I feel bad for asking, but ever since I had that ice cream cake Lhoris made, I just can’t stop thinking about having more... 

“Princess…” Orophine starts, then looks at me and groans, “Fine, I’ll get Avane to let them know before she goes to sleep.”

“Thanks Orophine.” 

I finish eating my breakfast, and finish getting ready for another day.

It’s been three days since the feast and, thanks to Desela, her pages, and my guards, I’ve been adjusting to life here in Folian. I’ve been forced to follow a strict schedule, with Desela teaching all of my lessons.

Orophine guides me out of my room and, after leaving the corridor that connects to my room’s branch, we arrive at Desela’s branch.

“You said Desela wanted to talk to me this morning, about what?” I ask.

“Desela won’t be your primary instructor starting today,” Orophine answers, “She wants to discuss what you’ll be doing from now on.”

Hmm, so Desela’s not going to be teaching me anymore. Finally, her lessons were hell. Comparable only to Myrna… Hopefully I’ll be able to relax a bit more now. I mean, I know she wants me to learn Zoic, and that I don’t know much about this world, but still. There’s only so much one person can take.

*Knock* *Knock*

“It’s Orophine,” she announces loudly, facing the door to Desela’s office, “I’ve arrived with the princess.”

“You may enter,” Desela calls from inside.

We walk into the office. The walls of the room are lined with bookshelves that are filled with various books, a large table sits in the middle of the room, and there is a desk in the back under a window, with a couch and some chairs in front of it. Desela is sitting at the desk and Minerva is laying down on the couch.

“What’s she doing here?” I ask as Orophine and I approach Desela. I was just getting used to her not being around…

“Oh boo-hoo. Get over it princess, I was here first,” Minerva sneers, “If anything I should be the one asking what you’re doing here.”

“Be quiet!” Desela roars as she looks at Minerva, then me, “Both of you.” We all just sit there quietly for a moment. 

Fine, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to deal with her anymore, but so much for that.

“Soooo, what did you want to talk about?” I ask.

“Right to the point. Good. Starting today, I won’t be watching you, Evetta. Instead, Orophine and Larina will be in charge of you from now on,” Desela states, “Orophine will be managing your technical lessons, primarily focusing on learning Zoic and world knowledge since that’s something you’re majorly lacking.”

“That’s not the only thing she’s lacking,” Minerva comments.

Desela shoots a ball of water at Minerva, hitting her in the face, and soaking her.

“Wha!” Minerva cries.

“I told you to be quiet,” Desela barks.

“Pfft,” I chuckle, but immediately stop as Desela glares at me. Alright, so never piss off Desela either.

“As for Larina, she’ll be helping you adjust to life here in Folian, and will be in charge of your practical lessons,” Desela continues, “With the exception of your spyra lessons.”

“Okay, then who’s going to be helping me with those?” I ask. I still haven’t been able to use the elements, so I hope she doesn’t want me to practice on my own.

Desela looks over at Minerva in response to my question.

“You're not serious, right?” I ask, “Please tell me you’re just joking.”

“Minerva, starting today,” Desela orders, “You’ll be helping out Evetta with her spyra lessons.”

“What!” Minerva shouts, “Why do I have to babysit the princess!?”

“Two reasons,” Desela says, holding up two fingers. “First, since Nolodar isn’t here, one of us makes the most sense as her teacher, and since you’re a genius when it comes to the elements, you’re a far better fit to teach her.”

“Hmph, don’t think flattery is going to work on me this time,” Minerva barks.

“I’d prefer not having her teach me either,” I add.

“You,” Desela looks at me, “don’t get a say in the matter.” She pauses for a moment, “Now, if I recall correctly, there was a young skryver that went out and, after defying my instructions, challenged a certain princess to a match between their pages on the day of her welcoming feast, and without holding back, proceeded to beat up her guards. Not her pages, but her guards… Now does that ring a bell to you?”

“Uh…” Minerva mutters.

“So, as for the second reason,” Desela says, “It’s your punishment for what you did to Evetta.”

This is supposed to be her punishment… why’s it feel like I’m the one that’s going to suffer...

“But-” Minerva starts to argue.

“I told you to be quiet!” Desela yells, “If I hear one word about you refusing to, or failing to teach her, I’ll make sure you remain in Folian when Nolodar escorts Evetta to the spirit realm.”

“Why’s she going to the spirit realm?” Minerva shouts, pointing at me.

“You’d know if you listened to me the other day,” Desela retorts, “But I know you won’t shut up so…” She takes a deep breath, “Evetta has a way to summon her majesty, Queen Vestele, but she has to get to the spirit realm in order to do so.”

“Bullshit,” Minerva argues.

Yeah, I guess it is pretty difficult to believe…

“Believe what you want,” Desela states, “But that doesn’t change the fact that once Nolodar returns, he will be escorting Evetta to the spirit realm. If you want to go too, then you’ll properly teach her how to use the elements.”

“But…” Minerva says before going silent. After a few seconds of silence she says, “Fine, I’ll teach her… but if she can’t keep up then that’s her fault!”

“Minerva… you’ll properly teach her,” Desela growls, “Or you’ll stay in Folian.”

“Augh, fine!” Minerva shouts as she dashes out of the office.

Well, looks like I’m screwed.

Desela heaves a heavy sigh, “Well that could’ve gone worse… Anyway Evetta, I’m sorry, as much as I’d like to still watch over you, something came up a few days ago, and I’ve been busy with Verger Flos trying to figure some things out.”

“Did something happen?” I ask.

“Nothing bad, but it’s keeping me busy,” Desela replies, “So as for your lessons, I’m leaving you with Orophine, Larina, and Minerva. I’m sure you’re against Minerva teaching you, but when it comes to using spyra, I can’t compare to her. She’ll be of more help when it comes to understanding and explaining the ins and outs of the soul far better than me.”

“If you say so,” I mutter dismally.

Desela smiles at me and then says something in Zoic. Orophine responds in kind, and Vestele laughs at what was said. “If you’re curious about what I said, figure it out yourself,” Desela remarks, “Alright, you’ve been here long enough. Orophine if you would.”

“Very well,” Orophine says, “This way princess.”

“I’ll see you later Evetta,” Desela says.

“Yep,” I say as Orophine and I leave the office.

Orophine guides me out of Desela’s branch, and into a different one. We walk down the wooden corridor and arrive at the study that I’ve been using for my technical lessons for the last three days. The study is more like a library, filled with hundreds of bookcases that have seemingly endless books on various topics.

Over the last three days, my first lesson has been three hours long, and has been covering the letters, basic pronunciations, and general rules of Zoic.

---

“Orophine, can we slow down? I’m barely managing to keep up,” I ask, struggling to understand everything in today’s lesson.

“But you are keeping up,” she replies.

“Yeah, but if you keep going at this rate, I won’t last.”

“That’s fine. If you fall behind, I’ll just repeat the lesson from the beginning to make sure you understand everything. Now let’s continue.”

I take it back… Orophine’s the real demon… I sigh as I continue my first lesson of the day.

---

With the conclusion of my first lesson, I am given a short break before I have to return for my second one.

“Alright princess, you’re free to go,” Orophine says, “I expect you back in exactly thirty minutes.”

I bolt to the door of the study, open it, and I’m greeted by my guards.

“Good morning princess,” Koralesca and Orianna announce as I open the door.

“Morning,” I say as I rush past them, “Come on, I only get a short break,”

As I run through the corridor, I feel the pants rubbing against my legs. Ow, I know I wanted to wear pants, but were they always this uncomfortable.

“So, where are the others?” I ask, seeing only Koralesca and Orianna here.

“Starting today, we’re all paired up, and we’ll be taking turns guarding you,” Koralesca explains, “While we’re guarding you, the others will be getting lessons from Eude.”

“Sounds like you have it rough too.”

“You have no idea,” Koralesca sighs as she looks at Orianna.

“Hey, I’m not pleased with this pairing either,” Orianna states, “I would’ve preferred being with Lenadrea or even Vallen.”

“Why are you guys paired up like that,” I ask as I reach the end of the corridor and begin descending the Vravyth.

“Eude made sure each pair had an element that was good at attacking and defending to make sure you were protected at all times,” Koralesca continues.

“So what are the pairings?”

“Me and Orianna, Zoelle and Lenadrea, Galatia and Faraine, Lyris and Vallen.”

“Those are rather weird pairings?” I mutter. Aren’t Koralesca and Orianna the two worst at using their element? Why’d he pair them together?

“Eude also has us competing against the other pairs,” Koralesca explains, “The pair that performs the worst has to do extra lessons, which means…” She trails off at the end of her sentence.

“You guys are being indirectly assigned extra lessons?” I question.

“Something like that…”

“I’m sorry for that,” I say, “But hang in there.”

We arrive at the cafeteria. Lhoris already has my snack prepared, it’s a soft red cake.

“Here, you guys take a slice too,” I say as I give a piece to Orianna and Koralesca.

“Thanks princess,” “You don’t need to give us some,” Orianna and Koralesca reply.

“It’s fine, it feels weird if I’m the only one eating.”

I begin eating my cake, the sweet taste tingles my mouth.

“Princess, you really like sweets,” Orianna states, “Did you like them in the past?”

“Uh… No, I don’t recall liking them this much…” I say quietly.

“Hey, I saw that you’re finally wearing pants,” Koralesca comments, “How are they?”

“Eh… they’re alright,” I lie. Honestly, they’re nothing like I remember... 

I sullenly finish eating my cake and make my way back to the study to begin my second session on Zoic. Koralesca and Orianna head to their lesson with Eude.

My second lesson is only two hours long, but is more challenging. Over the last few days, Desela was giving me children’s books to read, and she would translate to help me understand. Orophine on the other hand, seems to be taking a slightly different approach.

“Can you please talk to me in Annic or Parazic?” I ask, “or at least translate the words I’m reading. I’m not understanding anything.”

Orophine replies in Zoic, refusing to concede to my requests.

Come on Vestele, this is where you’re supposed to help me.

“Please,” I plead, “I’m struggling.”

Orophine continues to answer in Zoic. Vestele joins, giving her answers in Zoic as well.

“Fine!” I shout as I force myself to continue reading the books.

---

Finally done with that.

I leave the study for the second time today, and am greeted by Koralesca and Orianna, and a second pair of guards, Faraine and Galatia.

“Good morning princess,” Galatia and Faraine say in unison as I open the door of the study.

“Ah… good morning,” I mutter as I see Faraine and Galatia. Faraine avoids making eye contact with me. She doesn’t want to talk huh...

“Alright, let's go get something to eat,” I say as I escape Orophine’s hellish Zoic lessons.

“Princess, we were informed that we won’t be eating with Desela anymore,” Galatia announces.

“Wait, why?” I ask. Damn, I was going to see if I could get Desela to swap back with Orophine.

“She said she’s busy, so we won’t be joining her,” Galatia continues.

“Then, I guess we’re going to the cafeteria for lunch,” I say.

“Alright, then let’s go!” Orianna shouts as she dashes ahead.

“You’re supposed to wait for the princess,” Koralesca barks, chasing after her.

The five of us make our way to the cafeteria and, once there, we receive our meal while Lhoris finishes making my lunch sweets. We find an empty table, and sit down.

“Hey Galatia, I know they just released you today, how are you feeling?” I ask.

“Thank you for your concern princess,” Galataia responds, “I’ve been fine for several days now, but they had me remain in the infirmary for good measure.”

“Well that’s good,” I say, “And also-”

“Princess, I know what you want to say,” Galatia interrupts, “but again, I chose to push myself. What happened to me is by no means your fault.”

“I still feel bad…” I mumble.

“I can’t believe Desela’s going to have us start training with that bitch,” Koralesca states, “Especially after everything she did during the feast.”

“It’s for the best,” Faraine comments quietly.

“Working with her is for the best?” Koralesca inquires, “What makes you say that? If anything, you should know-”

“Exactly,” Faraine interjects, “I know how Minerva is, and I think her teaching us will be best for the princess.”

“Hmph! I still don’t like it,” Koralesca barks.

“You don’t like anything,” Orianna comments.

“You shouldn’t talk,” Koralesca says as she grabs Orianna’s head.

“Ow ow ow,” Orianna whines, “Let go!”

“Anyway princess, are you still not making any progress with the elements?” Koralesca asks.

“No…” I answer, “Desela says she’s not sure what’s causing me to be unable to manifest the elements.”

“Hmmm, weird…” Koralesca mentions as Orianna starts tapping her hand. Koralesca lets go of Orianna.

“Hey princess…” Faraine mutters, “I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while now, but if you can’t use the elements, how were you able to stop that elmite storm?”

Crap… I was hoping they’d just keep ignoring that… “Um…” I want to tell them, but... 

“Sweetheart, if you want to tell them, go for it,” Vestele says, “Like I said before, I’m not against you revealing your actual age.”

I know but even if I tell them… I can’t tell them about you, and then they’ll think I’m even weirder because of my size for my age. I hate lying to them too… I think Desela’s right, I shouldn’t be lying to them.

“Princess?” Faraine says.

“I’m sorry… I want to tell you, but…” I hesitate, “No, I will tell you, but can you wait until everyone’s here?”

“Sure,” Faraine mumbles with a smile.

“Um… Faraine, I know this is rude since I didn't’ answer your question,” I say, “but could you explain what happened between you, Minerva, and your parents?”

Faraine chuckles softly, “Princess, you’re being selfish again…”

“I know,” I respond as I look down. Sorry, Faraine, but you won’t talk to me, and it’s been bugging me for the last couple of days now.

“Alright, but it’s not a pleasant story,” Faraine sighs, “I only remember some of the earliest years of my previous life, and every memory I have involves me being beaten or abused by my previous parents, so right from being born as a fairy, I’ve never had a good relationship with mine.”

Faraine pauses for a moment then continues, “After realizing that I was given a second chance, and had different parents, I wanted nothing more than to please them, and to be loved by them, but my new parents weren’t much better.” 

She takes a deep breath, her voice starting to tremble, “Anything my parents asked me to do, I would try to accomplish it, constantly trying to earn their love, but their expectations were always perfection, so from the beginning, I was never good enough.”

What the hell is with her parents, both her old and new ones…

“I constantly tried to meet their expectations, hoping that they’d eventually love me, and while I was out training, I met Minerva,” Faraine pauses, makes eye contact with me, then continues, “She… Apparently she became fond of me, and liked how much effort I put into my training, and praised my skills, eventually asking me if I wanted to spend more time with her.”

“So, she did think you had potential?”

“Yes, and once my parents heard about how I was a candidate to become one of Minerva’s pages, they finally started calling me something other than ‘their daughter’,” Faraine mutters as tears start to fall from her eyes. 

Dammit, don’t cry, don’t cry. Tears start to fall from my eyes as well.

 “It was the first time they called me by my name…” Faraine sobs as she wipes her tears and smiles, “For a while, I had a good relationship with my parents. I actually felt like I was loved, but it didn’t last…”

Tears continue to fall from our eyes. Her parents are so fucked up… dammit these fucking tears…

“Minerva wanted the best fairies available to become her pages, and while scouting for more, she found Virgil,” Faraine says, “Once he joined, my relationship with Minerva quickly fell apart. Virgil was so good at everything compared to me, there was nothing I could do. After finally feeling she found the best here in Folian, she had me and Virgil fight to determine who would become her page.”

“This is my favorite part,” Orianna remarks.

“Shut up!” Koralesca barks as she grabs Orianna’s head again.

Faraine smiles, then continues, “We were told to fight ten duels, and she would keep whoever won more. Virgil won the first six, but rather than stopping the match, Minerva had us finish all ten duels… Virgil won all ten, and I was dismissed by Minerva, who declared me a failure. That day I lost ten duels, my spot as Minerva’s page, and my parents’ love and respect.”

Faraine sighs, “Since then, I’ve been living in the orphanage with Koralesca and the others. This all happened about a year ago.”

“Princess, if you don’t stop crying, you won’t be able to finish your lunch,” Galatia comments.

“I’m sorry…” I reply trying to stop the tears in my eyes.

Lhoris arrives and says, “Here you are princess… Um, is everything okay?”

“No…” I reply, “It’s not okay.”

“Thank you princess,” Faraine smiles, finally rid of her tears. “Minerva had her reasons, so I don’t hold it against her. Even if she is harsh towards me, I know it's because she wants me to do better… As for my parents, I’ve given up on them. I imagine they only introduced themselves as my parents for appearance’s sake.”

“Lhoris, just leave it on the table,” Galatia says.

“Ah right, please enjoy,” Lhoris looks at Faraine and gives her a sympathetic smile, then leaves.

So… that’s why Faraine’s been acting so weird… Not that I can blame her, but god, what the hell. I have to find some way to make it up to her.

“Princess, you should finish eating,” Galatia repeats, “Otherwise, you’ll be late for your next lesson.”

We finish eating lunch, and begin making our way back to the study.

“Faraine,” I mutter.

“Yes princess?” Faraine responds, a refreshing tone in her voice.

“Minerva was right you know.”

Faraine looks at me a little surprised.

“You do have potential, and a lot of it. I was really impressed with you at the feast. I’m not sure how yet, but I’ll find some way to make it up to you for what happened.”

She smiles, “You don’t have to-”

“I will!” I declare.

Faraine whispers something under her breath.

We arrive back at the study, and I begin my third lesson of the day, my final one in the study. Compared to my morning lessons that focus around Zoic, this session centered on information about the world, history, and the lifestyle and duties of fairies.

Something I learned over the last few days was that there are twenty-eight hours in a day here, which completely stunned me. I argued with Desela for a bit about it at first. I could not believe it, since I’d been here for seven months, and didn’t notice, but when Vestele jumped in and confirmed it, I went quiet.

As for the days in a month, Myrna had explained to me that there are still seven days in a week, and that there are four weeks in a month, each week having a separate season. What I also found out is that all fourteen months are exactly the same, each having twenty-eight days.

When I found out that the days had twenty-eight hours, and the months had twenty-eight days, I asked if there was a connection between the two. Desela explained that there is, and that it has to do with the months and the elements. Similar to how each month has its own element that is empowered, at certain times throughout a day, the elements can be stronger or weaker.

“Today, we’ll be going over why the fairies manage the elements throughout the realms,” Orophine states, “First, did you know that fairies retain their memories from their previous life?” 

“Yes,” I answer.

“Well, that previous life, or more specifically, the spirit that is left after death comes from the people of the realms. So, what would happen if all the people outside the spirit realm were to perish?”

“Um…” If fairies use the dead spirit, then if there’s no more dead spirits… “Fairies would cease to exist?”

“Exactly. Due to our reliance on the people of the realms, we as fairies must ensure that the people of the realms do not all perish, otherwise, we as fairies will also perish,” Orophine explains, “Now, in what ways do we protect the people of the realms?”

“Uh… the elements?”

“Correct again. Since we have an incredibly high affinity with the elements, we have been regulating the elements within the world since the beginning.”

“The beginning?”

“Yes. According to our records, fairies have been managing the elements within the world since the creation of the world itself, and that without the efforts of the fairies, it is likely that the only beings that would still exist would be the elementals, the ethereals, and the primordials.”

“The what?”

“The elementals-”

“I know about those, what about the other two,” I interrupt.

Orophine pauses for a moment, looking annoyed from my interruption. “The ethereals and primordials are spirits of tremendous size. Each one being comparable to a continent. They reside within the spirit realm, are capable of living for several megaannum, and produce much of the spyr needed by most beings throughout the world.”

“Several what?”

“Several millions of years,” Orophine clarifies, “Since these beings live for so long, it’s best to think of them as living energy sources that provide the world with the nutrients it needs to function. Additionally, if anything were to ever happen to them, the entire way the world works would shift.”

“Okay, but nothing’s going to happen to them right? You said they would survive even if nothing else would.”

“True, they will survive, but the rampage that the elements are causing in the spirit realm has changed how they normally act. This, alongside the elmite storms, threatens all beings throughout the world, and is the primary cause for the fairies fleeing the spirit realm to take refuge in the physical realms.”

“So if everyone left the spirit realm, who’s going to stop the elmite storms?” Please tell me I don’t have to do it. If I have to deal with more storms like the one the other day… I’d rather not think about it.

“Normally, the queen, her pages, along with the matriarchs, patriarchs, and several other skryvers manage the elements within the spirit realm, however, ever since the collapse seventeen years ago, the situation has only gotten progressively worse. There are currently a handful of fairies that stayed in the spirit realm to reduce the effects from these storms. 

“And those fairies are?”

“These fairies consist of potential queen candidates, their pages, the patriarchs, the new matriarch candidates, and their subordinates, and we’ve been receiving updates every month on how things are going in the spirit realm, but…”

 Orophine goes quiet for a moment then continues. “We haven’t received a report in over four months now. Due to this, your brother, Nolodar, and his pages left Folian to enter the spirit realm to determine what is the state of things, and he’s been gone for over a month now. With the travel time only being a few weeks, he should be returning sometime soon with news on the spirit realm.”

“Isn’t Nolodar strong? Why didn’t he stay within the spirit realm?”

“He chose to protect the fairies that were fleeing the spirit realm, has been helping Verger Flos maintain things around Folian, and has been in charge of quelling most of the elmite storms that have appeared around Folian.”

“Ask her about Alduin, Sylvia, and Lilia,” Vestele chimes.

“Um, what about Alduin, Sylvia, and Lilia?”

“Alduin, similar to Nolodar, is managing another sanctuary within the physical realms. Your sisters are both queen candidates and should be in the spirit realm trying to handle the rampaging elements.”

“I see.” So the guys are helping the refugee fairies, while the girls are trying to deal with the issue in the spirit realm, and they’re both queen candidates… “Um, I’ve only heard about queens and queen candidates, but is there a king, or can the guys become kings?”

Orophine pauses for a moment, “Princess, do you know the process that determines what element a newborn fairy will have?”

“Um… no?”

“It is solely dependent on the mother. When a female fairy gives birth, regardless of what type of fairy the father was, the child will be whatever type the mother is. In your case, your father was an alve, but since your mother, her majesty, is a skryver, you are also a skryver.”

I’m not sure if that applies in my case but okay…

“Since the mother prolongs the elemental lineage, females were given a higher standing, and as fairy civilization developed, it became a matriarchal society, with the queen leading us; and since skryvers are capable of manipulating all of the elements, the queen has always been a skryver. That is why there is no king, even though there are powerful male skryvers, since their child won’t be a skryver, they aren’t considered for the position as ruler.”

Damn, that’s pretty messed up, but I guess it makes sense… Fairies want to retain their lineage, and put more emphasis on the female…

“However, thanks to your arrival princess, it’s now known that the queen is alive and hopefully balance can return to the spirit realm, but since you, princess, are the key to summoning her majesty, you have become the single most important individual amongst all fairies. Possibly even the most important individual amongst all living beings…”

“I… wha…” No, that can’t be right… I’m not that important, I’m… I’m…

As I sit there, trying to process what Orophine just said, my vision begins to fade. The last thing I hear is Orophine’s startled shout as I feel my body begin to fall.

 Question Time! On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being worst possible, 10 being perfect lifestyle) how would you rate Faraine's life growing up? What are your thoughts on Desela forcing Minerva to teach Evetta? Which guard pair do you think is the strongest? Do you like how fairies retain their elemental lineage?

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll see everyone in, hopefully, about a week!

Which groups would you like concept art done for first (pick up to three)?
  • Evetta, Vestele, Desela, Nolodar Votes: 19 100.0%
  • Myrna, The Knights (Glendale, Camille, Lloyd, Samina), The Hunters (Vespelius, Mallor) Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Faraine, Lenadrea, Koralesca, Orianna, Zoelle Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Vallen, Araldra, Galatia, Nerialle, Aila, Ruven, Crisnic, Miyana, Aurenthea, Lhoris Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Verger Flos, Novaraine, Sidgar Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orophine, Avane, Neel, Eude, Arnald, Elias Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Settings (Myrna's House, Vravyth), Beasts (Cugarin, Juragon, Beaquide), Events (Stampede, Storm) Votes: 5 26.3%
Total voters: 19 · This poll was closed on Apr 9, 2021 11:03 PM.
20