Chapter 16: Masters and Servants
164 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Carter revealed the identity of the hero that he was currently imprinting and the identity of his opponent, it shocked all the viewers, as the reporter was still recording the battle. Cisco’s jaw dropped when Carter announced the identity of the two heroes. He had been trying to figure out Rider’s identity for a week but to no avail, and here Carter just announced Rider’s identity. "I've been busting my head for the past few weeks trying to figure out Rider's identity, and Carter just told everyone. Seriously, the hero of the Trojan War. I would never have gotten that." It was one that he never suspected. Wells then remembered Carter’s explanation that the Throne of Heroes' heroes, were ones to leave their marks on history and their stories were still being told to this day. Watching the announcement, Wells could not help but to agree that both of them were great heroes of history and are still remembered today. "Actually, it's not completely unfounded. The legend of both Achilles and Heracles are being told, even today."

As soon as the two heroes declared their identities, they started their fight. Sparks were flying everywhere with every clash between the spear and the axe. Despite being a lot faster than Heracles, Carter was able to inflict little damage. He was able to dodge most of the attacks, but some of them still sent him flying.

Despite all his training, fighting against a real servant is nothing compared to fighting meta-humans. The degree of difficulty is significantly greater There was a huge disparity just from the sheer force of power alone, let alone the actual combat ability. Carter got up and once again rushed towards his opponent. He was able to hit Heracles but it was not enough to leave any actual damage.

The battle continued for another hour without any of them giving an inch. Despite Carter fighting against Heracles, he was able to control the direction of the fight and reduce the damage done to the city. Despite all the attacks they managed to inflict on each other, they still kept going, and not letting up.

Everyone watching the fight could not understand how they could still keep on fighting. If a regular person or even a meta-human fought for so long, they would have collapsed from exhaustion. Seeing how Carter was still, continuing the fight, Eddie, now understood why Carter told him that he would just get in the way. "I would just be getting in the way. Even I can't keep up that kind of pace without getting some kind of rest or recharge." He would not be able to keep up the pace for so long. The moment he got tired, Heracles would have defeated him. It would have been possible and easy for the great hero to kill the scarlet speedster. Just thinking of the possible out of having to fight the monstrosity made him sweat. He knew that he would never be able to match the hero.

The only reason Carter was able to last so long against Berserker, was that he imprinted Achilles. The hero is known for his invincibility and stamina. Even so, he could not keep up the pace for so long. Carter knew he needed to finish the fight as fast as possible, especially considering Heracles’s Noble Phantasm. "I need to end this ASAP." The combination of his power and Noble Phantasm alone would drive entire armies to their deaths.

With the increase in injuries, Heracles activated his madness enhancement and roared. In doing so, he completely lost his sanity and gains more power. Breathing heavily, Carter saw that Berserker activated his madness enhancement making his strength sky-rocket. He was now power powerful than ever. Even Carter felt a little intimidated by the increase in strength. He knew he needed to kill Berserker as fast as possible. Doing so would give him more breathing room.

After receiving treatment from Caitlin, Eddie brought Ralph, Caitlin, and Ronnie to S.T.A.R. Labs for treatment. After Eddie brought the three to the infirmary, he immediately went back to watch the fight between Carter and Heracles. He knew he would not be of much help if he were to get involved in the fight, but he wanted to do as much as he can to ease the burden Carter is facing against the monstrosity. When he arrived, Joe was still watching over the fight.

“This guy is not like any meta I’ve seen before. Even the ones you were fighting couldn’t be compared to this guy, Eddie.” Joe spoke as he noticed his partner beside him. “This is a fight of epic proportions.”

Carter knew he could not allow a madness-enhanced Berserker to move around freely, no one in the city could oppose him. He knew he had to end the fight immediately. He had no choice but to go for one final attack, a single attack powerful enough to kill the oversized hero.

Carter whistled for his chariot and took off with it the moment it passed him. He made the chariot move as fast as possible leaving the city as he took to the skies. He made several laps around the city moving faster and faster before riding towards the street where he fought berserker. All that could be seen of him was a green streak. He maneuvered the chariot against Berserker and ran the monster down with it. The momentum he carried with him was finally enough to kill the monstrosity. When he was about to strike Berserker, he shouted out the true name of his Noble Phantasm to increase its attack speed and power “Troias Tragōidia!”.

With that blow, Berserker finally fell and died. After the attack, Carter came back to the site of carnage that was Berserker to inspect the body, to make sure he was truly dead. As he approached the body of Berserker with his spear in hand, he wanted to deliver a final blow just to be safe. Just as he was about to stab Berserker, Eddie and Joe ran between them to stop Carter.

Eddie could only say, “What are you doing, we don’t kill people, no matter how much destruction they caused.” Carter ignored Eddie without bothering to explain himself and used his speed to move to the other side of Berserker but Eddie still appeared between them.

Just as Carter was about to stab Berserker’s heart, a breach opened beneath the supposed dead hero, saving him from harm’s way. When Carter saw this, he made a hypothesis that Berserker’s master or at least someone he is acquainted with has the ability to breach to other Earths.

Seeing as how Berserker had appeared, Carter was now sure of the indescribable uneasy feeling he had recently. The Holy Grail War had begun. He now needed to find the seven masters that will fight in the war. "It has begun" Carter muttered.

Seeing as how the battle had come to an end, Carter decided to explain the entire situation to the team. He told Eddie and Joe to contact Iris, Cisco, and Wells and meet them at S.T.A.R. Labs because he needed to heal Ralph and Firestorm.

When they arrived, at S.T.A.R. Labs, Carter went to the infirmary to heal Ralph, Ronnie, and Stein. He imprinted Caster and healed the two heroes while waiting for the others to arrive. By the time they arrived, Carter had finished healing Ralph, and Firestorm, and they regained consciousness. Ronnie and Professor Stein separated the moment they were fully healed. After the healing process, Carter brought them to the control room to discuss his outburst and how to move forward.

With everyone gathered together, he revealed to them the existence of the Holy Grail War. When Carter mentioned the Grail, Professor Stein spoke. “The Holy Grail, as in the one Jesus Christ drank from in The Last Supper.” Carter could only look at Stein “not really”. Just as Carter was about to continue his explanation, a bright red light appeared on his right hand taking the shape of a sword surrounded by a circle, with two angel-like wings beside the circle and attached to the hilt of the sword. A similar red light appeared on Eddie’s right hand except his, had three lightning bolts connected at the bottom that were joined at the tip.

Looking at the marks on their hands, they had officially become masters. Carter then continued his explanation. “The red marks on our hands are our command seals, the symbol of a master in the Holy Grail War. This would most likely be a war for the Greater Grail. A total of fourteen masters will participate in the war. The winner will be given a single wish. Since there would be seven masters on each side, there will also be seven servants on each side.

“For a normal Holy Grail War, there would typically be one servant for each class. Saber, the servant of the sword, Archer, the servant of the bow, Lancer, the servant of the spear, Rider, the servant of the mount, Caster, the servant of spells, Assassin, the servant of killing, and Berserker, the servant of madness. The grail will be filled with the death of each servant until it is enough to make a wish. Alaya did not help during Crisis, because it was slumbering. It will continue to slumber until it is needed again to save humanity. However, there are some cases where this rule does not apply.”

Everyone listened attentively to Carter's explanation. “The servant we fought earlier was the Berserker class servant. It must’ve come here looking for potential masters. He must've wanted to get rid of the competition because a servant cannot manifest itself without the power of a master and the power of the Grail allowing it. That Berserker most likely already had a master. I am sorry for my outburst earlier Eddie, but you did not understand the severity of the situation, because that Berserker was no ordinary Berserker. That was the great hero Heracles. His Noble Phantasm, his greatest ability, is the one that symbolizes him in the thoughts of people. His Noble Phantasm is “God Hand”. It is what people remember of him.” Carter then looked at everyone and asked what comes to mind when they hear the name Heracles.

Dr. Wells was the first to answer “the twelve labors of Hercules”. Carter nodded “correct, the twelve labors. Through this he gained his Noble Phantasm. Thanks to the twelve labors, he has twelve lives.” When everyone heard Carter say this, they became fearful. They had to take down that monstrosity twelve times. The mere thought of it sent chills down Eddie, Ronnie, and Ralph’s spines.

“With the two of us here, we now have two masters. We need five more, and it is highly likely that they would be on the other Earths. Because when berserker was breached away, I sensed the energy came from another Earth. It looks like this Holy Grail War will have participants from across the Infinite Earths.”

4