Chapter 25: Killer In The Fog
70 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Earth Prime – National City

A woman with black hair tied back knocks on the door to an apartment. The door opens and a blonde woman in glasses is revealed. She looks at the black-haired woman, disappointed. “Kara, I came here to say I’m sorry. I’ve made a terrible mistake. I was hurt. I was in pain. I wanted everyone to know how it felt so I unwittingly helped Lex built that machine. I am sorry. I originally wanted to help people, but along the way, I lost my way and went on a darker path. You were right. This whole time I strayed from the right path and became a villain. I became blinded by my ambition. I know what I did, I know that no matter how much I apologize, you might not forgive me. But I want to set things straight, I want to make amends. I want to stop my brother. I want to do the right thing.” Kara told the woman to come in “I don’t know what to say, Lena. I don’t know if I could trust you again. You need to earn my trust if you want me to believe in you again. Don't get me wrong, I’m thankful for what you did during Crisis, but that doesn’t excuse you from the other things you’ve done.”

Just as they were about to continue their heartfelt discussion, Kara received a call from J’onn and her sister Alex, to turn on the TV. She saw the news report. The anchorwoman revealed accounts of eyewitness reports and helicopter reports. “A fog has suddenly appeared in the business district in downtown. The fog inside is too thick to see, but people claim to have heard screams inside. The fog is dispersing. We can now see what happened inside of it.” When the anchorwoman reported about the fog dispersing, all eyes were on the screen. The scene horrified everyone, and the feed was cut.

“I’ve got to go, Lena, we’ll continue this discussion later.” Kara changed into her alter ego Supergirl and flew to the scene. When she arrived, the DEO (Department of Extranormal Operations), had cordoned off the site. The scene horrified Supergirl and all the people there. The streets were littered with fresh bodies. Blood filled the streets. It was a scene right out of a horror movie. “J’onn, Alex, do you know what happened?” J’onn, the Martian Manhunter, did not know what to tell her. “I’m sorry Kara, but no one can provide an explanation for what happened here.”

Unable to find any clues, the DEO cleaned up the scene and went back to their headquarters. While there, Kara, Alex, and J’onn met up with a white-haired man, “Do you have anything for us Brainy?” Brainy answered, “When that fog appeared, I used all our instruments and was unable to see through the fog. Our sensors could not pick up anything. That fog can jam our visuals and recordings. The only way to know what happened would be to go into the fog itself the next time it appears.” That was the only conclusion the DEO resident genius could provide them.

Without anything else to be done, Kara left the DEO and returned to her apartment. When she came back, she realized that Lena was still there, so they continued their conversation until they heard a knock at the door. Kara opened the door and was happy to see the person who had just arrived.

Central City

After Carter and Eddie left for Earth-212, Barry told his friends that he would go to National City. “Since they’ve gone, I guess it’s time for me to run. I got to go to National City and meet Kara. Finding the master will be easier with Supergirl and the DEO helping.” Before he left, Barry made sure that everything in Central was fine. After doing several laps around the city, he returned to S.T.A.R. Labs. He made a final check to make sure that everything was okay, before getting ready to leave. Barry took a portable master detector and ran to National City. When he arrived, he knocked on the door to Kara’s apartment.

National City

When Barry reached the door, the locator device started blaring. It showed that the master is in Kara’s apartment. He was happy that had found the master. “Barry, come in, come in. So, what brings you over to my neck of the woods?” The person that just came to Kara’s apartment was the Flash, Barry Allen. “Kara, we need to talk.” When Barry walked into the apartment, he took out the device, but it did not indicate Kara, but someone else in the apartment. “Kara, I need your friend over there. We need her help.” When he approaches Lena, Kara introduced them, “Barry, this is Lena, Lex’s sister. Lena, this is Barry Allen, The Flash. Don’t worry, she knows all about my identity, and everybody else’s identity, she would eventually find out yours if she did some digging.”

Barry saw the command seal on Lena’s hand, it was like three overlapping gears. He told them what Carter told him. Lena found the entire thing hard to believe. Just as Barry was about to continue their discussion over dinner. As they were discussing how to move forward, Kara got another call from J’onn saying that the fog had returned.

Kara took Barry and they left for the location of the fog. The area had been cordoned off. Brainy sent a drone into the fog, the display could not pick up anything. Lena then came to the scene to meet up with Kara. “Kara, I want to help you. Starting with this.” Seeing that the DEO equipment could not see inside the fog, Lena ran inside it in order to be of help to the person she once called a friend.

“Lena wait.” Kara went after her and entered the fog. Barry tried to get rid of the fog blowing it away with his speed by quickly rotating his hands in a circular motion but it did not work, so he ran in after them. He caught up to them but the scene inside the fog stunned them. There were people walking around them but they were all walking aimlessly. All of the people they saw there were children. When they tried to take these children out of the fog, their hands passed right through them.

“These children are merely ghosts of the past.” Barry, Kara, and Lena see a little girl approaching them. She had white hair with stitched-up scars on her face. Both her arms are bandaged but only her left hand was wearing a glove. She wore a tattered coat as a cloak over her body. She was holding knives in each hand. “Big sisters, big brother, will you stay here with us, forever.” After she said that, she ran to them intending to kill them. Kara wanted to keep Lena safe, so she blocked the incoming attack. To her surprise, she felt the blade cut her. She was bleeding.

The sight shocked Lena and Barry. The Invincible Supergirl who had no weaknesses aside from Kryptonite was injured. Neither of them had the heart to attack the little girl, so Kara used her super-breath to blow the little girl away. She and Barry then took Lena and left the fog. Once the left, the fog started to recede, before completely disappearing.

J’onn came up to them “What happened? Kara, how did you get hurt?” J’onn and Alex noticed the wound on Kara’s arm. Kara, Barry, and Lena explained what they saw in the fog but when they were about to tell J’onn and Alex about their assailant, they found that they could not put it to words. “I can’t remember. I remember everything I saw in there but when I try to remember the person who attacked us, for some reason, I can’t.”

They went back to the DEO and tried to access Kara, Lena, and Barry’s memories using Brainy’s new invention but it did not work. Even using advanced technology to enter a person’s mind and see their memories, the assailant’s identity could not be revealed. But everyone knew that this person needed to be stopped.

3