Chapter 27: The Black Servants
91 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Jack the Ripper, you’re kidding me, right? Jack the Ripper has been dead for more than a hundred years. You’re telling me he is back somehow.” Not just Barry, but everyone at the DEO were sceptical of the idea. Only the people that Carter brought with him believed it, they had experienced it first hand, the power of a servant. “Whether you believe it or not, it’s true. Jack is part of the Throne of Heroes. As long as the name, the concept, the belief people have of the person still exist to this day, then he can become a Heroic Spirit.”

Carter continued, “From what I can see inside the fog, the dead children represent the abandoned children of the prostitutes of that era. The amalgamation of their fear, desire, and hatred created this interpretation of Jack the Ripper. That fog is a part of Jack’s Noble Phantasm. It also coincides with the story of Jack the Ripper as no one was able to identify him, no one knew his identity. He gained this ability from that belief. You guys don’t have a chance against him. A servant is far more powerful than your typical villain. As a pseudo-servant, I stand with the likeliest chance of defeating Jack.”

J’onn questions Carter, “Why do you say that you have the greatest chance of stopping this Jack the Ripper?” Carter answered, “You need a servant to defeat a servant. Heroes who become servants have greater power compared to when they were alive. They are defined by their legend. If their legend says they are powerful, then they will be powerful. J’onn, I will let you peer into my mind and let you see what I’m talking about. You will understand more of the war by doing so.”

J’onn grabbed Carter’s head and saw everything. A torrent of information about the Holy Grail War, including the identities of several servants, flooded into his mind. This was the only information that he could allow J’onn to see without harming the Martian. “Carter, if what I saw is true, then we need to summon the servants as quickly as possible because we don’t know how many of them the enemy has summoned.” J’onn relayed the information he obtained and show it to the others to convince them. Barry was shocked, “We have to stop this war as soon as possible. Too many people will get hurt if it continues.”

Carter looked at everyone, “I know, but the only way to stop it is to win and make the right wish. Alaya assured me that this grail will not be corrupted. It’ll be a real Holy Grail." With the matter settled, "We can only wait for the fog to appear. Once it does, we can stop Jack.”

Kara and Alex took their new guest and introduced them to all the aliens they had on-site, while Carter conversed with Lena. He eventually managed to convince her to help their cause. “Now that Lena is on board, all we need is the seventh master. This master should be one of the Legends. It should be one of them because the locator showed that it was suspended in space-time around the planet.”

Later that night, their scanners detected another fog appearing downtown. Everyone geared up for battle except Lena, and Joey, who do not have any battle capabilities. Carter imprinted Rider and took Henry and Alex with him on his chariot while the two Flashes ran to the location and Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, Stargirl, and S.T.R.I.P.E. flew. When Carter brought out Pat’s robot, everyone was impressed.

The group immediately entered the fog when they arrived, except for Carter, Alex, and Henry. Alex and Henry got off Carter’s chariot and were a little dazed, they were not used to travelling at such high speeds. “You guys okay, need a little time to digest.” When Henry and Alex recovered, the three joined their friends inside the fog. Carter imprinted Archer and joined them. When they were inside, they split off into groups of two.

When Carter entered the fog, he immediately summoned his swords, prepared to fight. He changed to EMIYA because he felt that it would be easier for him to fight a knife with a pair of short swords instead of a spear.

Shortly afterwards, the group heard a scream and came running to the site of the scream. There, they saw a little girl standing over a man with two knives covered in blood. The little girl looked at them with a smile. “Do you want to play with me big brothers, big sisters? We can play in here forever.” Courtney and Henry felt a little sick. This was their first time witnessing such a gruesome scene. The little girl killed with a smile on my face. “This bad man hurt my mom. I’m only returning the favour. Mommy asked me to discipline all the people that hurt her.”

Carter was the first to approach the girl, “Servant of the Assassin class, Jack the Ripper, is the person whom you call mother, your master? Is she the one telling you to kill civilians? I will stop you right here, right now.” Jack scoffed, “Big words coming from a faker. You’re just an imposter.” The two ran towards each other and clashed, knives against swords.

Sparks flew with every clash. Their fight was intense. When the other heroes tried to help Carter, he told them not to interfere. Henry was stubborn so he threw a trash can at Jack but she jumped backwards and avoided it. When she landed, she ran towards him intending to kill him but Stargirl’s staff got in the way. Every time Jack tried to attack Henry, the staff blocked her attack, it gave Henry enough time to escape. While Jack was distracted by Henry, Carter ran up to her and tried to attack her from behind.

“Such predictable moves won’t work on me, faker. You might as well give up now and hand your life over to me.” Carter responded to Jack’s taunt and continued his attack, “I may not be a real servant, I may be a fake, but that doesn’t mean I can’t beat a real servant.” The two continued their clash. After a while, Carter managed to gain the upper hand and kicked Jack in the stomach and kicked her away. He then ran to finish her off. The others wanted to stop him but then knew this was the only way to stop Jack the Ripper.

Just as the final attack was about to connect, a ray of light shot down between him and Jack. When the smoke cleared, Jack was nowhere to be seen and the fog cleared up. Everyone looked up and saw six people standing on a rooftop overlooking them while jack was lying unconscious on the shoulder of a large man.

When the moon shone, Carter could see the figures of the six people. The large man carrying the unconscious Jack the Ripper was none other than Berserker, Heracles. Carter could see the figures of all of them but two, in particular, frightened him to his very core. These two are among the most powerful servants. One of them was a woman in full armour, riding a white horse holding a lance, while the other was a blond man wearing armour made of pure gold with both his hands crossed over his chest and looking down on everyone there. His gaze was filled with arrogance and contempt.

“Mongrel, you dare hurt one of my men. Your punishment is death, Faker.” As he said that, ripples started to form in the air and many weapons emerged from the ripples. Swords, spear, staffs, etc. came out of the ripples, Carter immediately told everyone to run. “Everyone RUN!! We need to go NOW!!” When Carter said this, his tone was filled with fear. Not knowing what was going on, they heeded the situation and ran. Barry and Eddie took Henry and Alex to safety while the others flew away.

As soon as everyone had left, the man in gold launched his barrage of weapons at Carter. “Rho Aias”, Carter activated his shield intending to block the attack just enough so he could escape during the confusion. After only a few strikes, the shield shattered. “King of Heroes, Gilgamesh. I will defeat you eventually.” When Carter grumbled that, he jumped backwards and imprinted Rider and ran. When he was further away, he summoned his chariot and left the area. He was able to avoid extensive injuries when he was switching servants. “I barely got out of there alive.” carter managed to leave the battle with his life but he was unable to leave unscathed

When J’onn went into Carter’s mind, Carter established a psychic connection with The Martian. Using this connection, he told J’onn to tell the others to meet back at the DEO.

4