Chapter 34: Ruler
54 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the battle was over, Cisco ran to Rider to check on her condition. “Sis, are you okay? Do you know where we are?” Rider pulled Cisco in tight and gave him a bear hug. “Ahhh, master, I’m so happy you’re finally calling me sis.” She lets go and grabs his shoulders, “Don’t worry master, sis is fine. I think I’ve defeated Assassin. She’s so young and she’s already killing people for revenge.”

When the master and servant looked at the crater that was left behind when Rider used her Noble Phantasm, they could see Assassin. Her body was bent and she was not moving. Assassin’s master ran from out of the forest and into the crater. She held Assassin in her arms. Cisco and the Assassin’s master noticed that Assassin’s body was now covered in a golden light. Her body started becoming golden light particles and the particles on her feet started to dissipate.

“Jack, don’t go. I still need you. You need to take revenge for me for all the people that have wronged me. The man that took my baby from me, the woman who tormented me, the men who abused me. Without you, who would tend to my grievances? Please, Jack, I can’t have my revenge without you.” Assassin smiled and gazed deep into her master’s eyes as she dissipates. “Thank you, Mama. You’re the best master I could’ve asked for.” After she said that, Assassin’s body had completely dissipated. Those were Assassin’s last words before returning to the Throne of Heroes.

Seeing how their enemy had dissipated, Rider turned to Cisco, “It’s over, master. The fight’s over. Assassin has been defeated.” Cisco released an exasperated breath, “Phew, thank goodness, it’s over. But I do feel sorry for Assassin and a little sorry for her master.” Cisco and Rider came into the crater and talked with the former master, and asks her for her identity.

The woman was still sad but she answered Cisco’s questions, “My name is Dana Brooks, and I’m a prostitute. Originally I worked in a large marketing firm but the people there ruined my life and continued to do so even after I was fired. I was forced to go into prostitution just to survive. After that, the madam ruined my life. I was about to give up but then this red command seal appeared on my hand. Then a man came and offered to pay me and get my life back together if I helped him get his wish granted. Afterward, Jack was summoned and I treated her like my own daughter. She still loved me even though I used her as a tool for my revenge. She still treated me like her mother even to the end. If I didn’t have a miscarriage, I would’ve been happy if Jack became a big sister to my unborn baby.”

Cisco looked around and they were still in the forest. “Dana, is this your doing, or was it the guy that hired you who brought us here?” Dana shook her head saying she did not know anything about this forest. Then Rider stepped in and answered, “Perhaps I can answer that master. We are in a Reality Marble. It is the Noble Phantasm of a servant, and it is the ability to create an artificial world and warp reality to bring people into this artificial world. This is most likely the work of an enemy servant but I do not feel any killing intent coming from this forest.”

Just as Rider said this, a man in a green cloak and hood came out of the thicket of trees. Seeing the newcomer, Rider blurted out, “Ruler” when she saw and sensed him. Ruler approached Cisco and took off his hood. “Hello Cisco, it’s been a while. How is everyone?”

Cisco was stunned to see Ruler. When the man took off his hood, he revealed his identity. “Oliver, Oliver, you’re alive. Everyone’ll be jumping when they see that you survived the fight against the Anti-Monitor”. Oliver reveals to Cisco, “I’m not alive Cisco. I died in that battle to fix everything. I’m standing before you only because I’ve also been summoned as a servant. I am the Ruler class servant.” Oliver shows the command seal on his hand, and Rider commented, “Yup, you’re Ruler alright. Only servants bearing the class name Ruler, can possess command seals, to maintain the war.”

“This is my Noble Phantasm, Island of Purgatory. My role as Ruler is to mediate the battle between the two factions. So I wanted to reduce the casualties of civilians as much as possible, so I placed you four, I guess it’s now you three, into my Reality Marble. Once the battle’s over, I will undo the Reality Marble and send you back.” As he said that, the sky and surroundings started to crack and break away. “Cisco, before I leave, I want you to tell everyone I said hello.”

When everything broke apart like glass, Cisco, Rider, and Dana found themselves back at the park. They had been in the Reality Marble for some time as when Cisco looked at his watch, a lot of time had passed, and the time for the meeting with the other masters was quickly approaching. Cisco told Rider to take them back to the DEO. “Sis, we have to go back and tell everyone, everything. We should also take Dana with us. She’s had a terrible life, maybe J’onn can do something to help her.” After discussing with Rider on their next objective, they all got on the pterosaur and flew to the D.E.O.

When they arrived at the DEO, Cisco and Rider were told to go to the conference room as everyone else was already there. When they entered the meeting room, everyone turned and faced them. Cisco silently walks to his seat and sat down, while all eyes were still on him. He felt that the situation was really tense.

Carter clapped his hand in order to get everyone’s attention once again. “Alright, let’s continue what we were discussing earlier. I’m talking about the Ruler class servant. The Ruler class servant will only appear in a Holy Grail War such as ours, where there are two opposing factions. Ruler is the mediator of the conflict. He or she is tasked with making sure the fight doesn’t go so far as to jeopardize the well-being of the innocent. So far, Ruler hasn’t appeared yet. I don’t when he or she will. In order to control the scope of the battle, the Ruler class servant possesses far greater power than any of the other servants. They are also the only servants with a command seal during the war.”

Just when Carter was about to continue, Cisco interjected, “Um, actually, Ruler already appeared.” When Cisco said this, everyone’s eyes once again turn to him. “Well, earlier when sis and I were getting to know each other, we were attacked in the park. Our attacker was Jack the Ripper. We were able to defeat Jack, and we’ve taken her master into DEO custody. J’onn, you need to check up on her later.”

“As sis was fighting her, we were suddenly transported someplace else. It was a forest, I don’t know where it was but the place collapsed after we defeated Jack the Ripper and met Ruler. We were transported there when sis was about to finish it with her Noble Phantasm. But guys, that is not the most important part. The most important part is that Ruler, is someone we know all too well. He was a great friend that made the greatest sacrifice to save all of us. Guys, Ruler is Oliver.”

2