Chapter 58: The Old Man of the Mountain
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Echo was sitting behind a desk in a hidden room provided by Lucas. Echo was tinkering with his gadgets, while his servant Heracles, was sleeping and snoring on the floor. Echo was busy upgrading his equipment to make himself more powerful. He wanted to get the wish from the Holy Grail. He was still deciding on what to wish for when Heracles suddenly woke up.

“What’s wrong Heracles, normally you’re snoring at this time, what woke you up, big guy? Did you have a nightmare?” Echo got up from behind his desk and walked over to his servant. As he was comforting Heracles, Echo noticed shadows approaching his location. “Took you guys long enough. I need to get out of here and get something to eat. Watch over Heracles while I’m gone.”

Just as Echo was about to open a breach, he found that the people that descended the staircase were not the ones he was expecting. He now realized why Heracles woke up. Echo puts on his gloves and prepared himself for a fight. Sara was the first person to emerge from the archway, “You’re Echo, right? Cisco’s alternate Earth self. You’re not the person we were expecting but, we still need to take you down. So get ready for a butt whooping.”

Sara took out her bow staff and twirled it. Just as they were ready to fight it out, another person came down the staircase. He wore a long dark green coat and hood. Assassin smiles, “Ruler, it’s about time for you to arrive. Will you use your Reality Marble and oversee our battle.” Sara smile while gazing at her old friend “Oliver, it’s good to see you again.”

Oliver nods and places himself between the two opposing forces. Oliver chants his Noble Phantasm, “Surrounded by sea and forgotten by the world. Waters that took my father and stranded me. Land of battle, land of death. On your soil, bonds were forged, and destroyed. Enemies and allies alike were born. Reveal yourself to us now. Island of Purgatory.”

An orb appeared between Oliver’s hands and it expanded to encompass everyone in the room. As soon as everyone was in the sphere, it vanished. When the darkness dispersed, Constantine, Sara, Echo, and Heracles found themselves in a familiar place. “Oliver, isn’t this place Lian Yu?” Constantine then added to Sara’s remark, “It does answer a lot of questions. Carter said that a Heroic Spirit’s Noble Phantasm is something that greatly contributes to their legend. I’d say this island perfectly fits the bill, Love.”

Oliver disappeared but his voice could be heard throughout the island. “This is where you’ll conduct your battle. I will reappear when the battle ends. Sara, be careful against this guy.” After Oliver ended his message, Sara ran towards Echo, she hoped to knock him out and end the battle as quickly as possible.

Echo opened a breach and jumped through it. Sara manages to catch up to him and jump through the breach before it closed leaving Constantine, Gary, and Assassin to handle Heracles. “Gary, go hide somewhere while I take care of the monster. And don’t forget to take the old man with you.”

Assassin respected his master’s orders, even when she told him to stay on the Waverider as she and her team went to correct the anachronisms detected in history. He realized that she did not want him to get hurt as he was an old man. He had yet to show them what he was capable of but he enjoyed the peace and quiet that came with his master’s ignorance. Assassin smiles as he went into hiding with Gary, “I guess it’s true what people say, Ignorance is bliss”.

As the two were hiding, Constantine unleashed spell after spell on the hero, but none of them even scratched the Greek hero, they merely left him with an itch. Heracles finally decided to turn his attention on Constantine seeing as his opponent the Red servant did not appear to fight him. Heracles swung his ax but Constantine managed to dodge the attack by rolling to the side. Just as he was about to sigh in relief from dodging the attack, Heracles used a sweep kick on Constantine.

Constantine managed to cast a defensive spell just in time to protect himself but the momentum from the kick sent him flying into a tree. “Argh, bullocks”.

Somewhere else on the island, another battle was taking place. Echo kept opening breaches and moving around through them that Sara was having difficulty pinpointing his position. Each time he reappeared, he would fire off an energy blast before breaching away. There was not much for Sara to do but to keep avoiding his attacks.

This went on for a while. While she waited, Sara was observing his attack pattern and familiarizing herself with his rhythm. After a few minutes, Sara figured out where Echo would exit his breach. When Echo shot another energy blast at Sara, and jump into the breach, Sara dodged it and ran towards the location of his exit.

Just as she predicted, Echo exited the breach at the location she was headed to. Just as he jumped out, Sara had already arrived behind him. She hits him in the back with her bow staff and he almost fell down. Just as he was about to recover, she hits him again in the gut followed but swinging her staff and hitting him in the back of his head, and she ends it off by tripping him.

Echo was lying on the ground dazed but not unconscious. “This should knock you out.” Those were the final words Echo heard before Sara swung her staff. Sara swung her staff like she was playing golf with Echo’s face. After defeating Echo, Sara realized she was lost and could not find her bearings. Then she remembered the watch that J’onn gave her. She activates it and a 3D compass was displayed. It showed two red dots to the East. Sara kept the compass on and ran to Heracles and Assassin’s location.

Assassin watched as Constantine battled against Heracles. He saw how much the mage struggled against an opponent he could not hope to defeat. So Assassin did the right thing and stepped in to face the brute. Assassin walked out from behind the tree and helped Constantine up, “Now it is your turn to hide and rest young occult mage. Let this old man handle things from here on out.” Assassin grabs Constantine by the collar and tosses him towards Gary.

Assassin walks towards Heracles with a sword in hand. Blue flames then began burning his clothes. When his shroud was turned to ash by the blue flames, a tall man clad in dark armor, with a skull mask replaced the frail-looking old man.

“All that begins must end. So too, all lives ultimately die, and in doing so find value. Thou who bears the title of the Greek hero. The one to conquer the twelve labors. Thou gained multiple lives from a great legend and has never truly known what death feels like. Now feast your eyes to the one that shall show you the true meaning of death and welcomes you into his embrace. From the mountain abyss I come, and only death do I bring. I am the Old Man of the Mountain, The First Hassan-I Sabbah!”

0