Chapter 62: While You Were Out
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Carter woke up, he noticed the person that put him in the infirmary standing and grinning in front of him with his arms crossed. Carter then turns to Eddie, “How long was I out?”  Eddie scratched the back of his head while he decided whether or not to tell Carter the events that transpired while he was bedridden. After a few moments of silent contemplation, he sighs and tells Carter.

“You’ve been unconscious for a week Carter. A lot happened while you were out. How about I just sum it up for you.” Carter nods and Eddie continues, “After our battle with Iskandar and Nero, Lena was attacked. Lex and Artoria ambushed her while she and Tesla were working in her lab.” Carter’s expression changed to shock, as his eyes bulged and gasped.

Eddie places his hand on Carter’s shoulder, “Calm down, honey. Tesla and Artoria fought and the battle ended with both of them gone. They both bested each other and dispersed into light particles. Lena took it pretty hard for a while but she’s since recovered. She’s now working on a way to locate Gilgamesh and his master.”

“Sometime after that, we got a tip from Lex about a hideout that the Black faction used. Sara and The Legends went to investigate. There, they found Echo and Heracles. Apparently, according to Sara and Constantine, Assassin made short work of that monster.” Listening to Eddie’s narration, Carter believed him. Carter smiles, Eddie was puzzled by Carter’s reaction. “I believe that’s the most likely outcome if anyone were to face Assassin head-on. I’m smiling because I don’t have to worry about that near-immortal monster anymore. Aside from Gilgamesh, he’s the one I was worried about the most.”

As Eddie narrated the events right after, Carter was hospitalized, he then proceeded with how Iskandar and his master were at the DEO. “You see Carter about two days ago, myself, Sara, Joey, Henry, Constantine, Kara, Lancer, Berserker, Caster, and Assassin confronted Iskandar and his master, Roger.” Roger comes out from behind Iskandar and waves at Carter. “We also confronted Nero and her master, Eric. They are both at the cafeteria, under supervision.”

Two days ago

Eddie sat beside Carter’s hospital bed inside the infirmary. After several days of staying by his fiance’s side, he finally decided to go on the offensive. When he approached J’onn about the matter, J’onn told Eddie that they had located two of the three remaining masters and servants. J’onn brought Eddie to see a three-dimensional holographic image of National City. “Look at the two red dots and the two blue dots. That’s where they are. It was a good thing Lena adopted her technology to our scanners. Otherwise, it would’ve taken us weeks to locate them.”

Eddie and J’onn watched as the four dots converged at one location. “I know that area. It’s located downtown, near the river. According to our scanners, their location puts them at a café. They are at the Waterfront Café.” Using his command seal, Eddie located Lancer, “Lancer, let’s go. We’re going to find the people that hurt Carter. Then, we’ll bring them in. We need to know more about these guys. We are going to bring them in for questioning.”

Roger Barts and his Servant Iskandar, enter the Waterfront Café. There they find Eric Peters and Nero sitting at a table right beside the river. Eric was drinking some warm tea while Nero was eating some cinnamon rolls. Roger pulls a chair and he and Iskandar took a seat at the table. “Alright Peters, what’s this all about. Why did you call us out of the blue?”

Eric took a sip of his tea and casts his gaze over the river. “I called you here to get your opinion on something. Ruler’s parting words still ring inside my head. I’ve been thinking and contemplating about it. Maybe we should just give up on this war. After all, neither of us really have anything to wish for. So what’s the point? I want to withdraw from this war.”

Roger watched as his ally was distressed. He was unsure of how to comfort and motivate Eric. “Alright, I understand what you’re trying to say. So I have a question for you. What was your original motivation for fighting in this war?” Eric takes another sip of his tea and sighs. “Originally, I joined in order to help the professor achieve his wish. I watched as how Professor Lucas, my mentor, my father figure, and my friend, self-destructed. I wanted to help him. When the command seal appeared on my hand, and he saw it with his crazed depressed eyes, I knew that I found a way to help him.”

“At least that was how it started. Then he searched and found the rest of the group. That was when I realized things started to take a turn for the worst. The first person we found was a prostitute with a deep vengeance, the second guy was a hitman, then there’s you, we all know what Lex is like, and then there’s Echo.”

Roger found it offensive the way Eric mentioned him, “What do you mean when you said, then there’s me?” Eric clarified himself while Nero finally calmed down and stopped eating. “What I meant was, you’re a con man, a grifter. You’re basically a petty thief.” Roger gasped at the way Eric mentions his occupation.

“How dare you? How dare you call me petty? I am a professional, you know that. It takes a lot of work and prep to con someone. Besides, I prefer to consider myself a modern-day Robin Hood. I steal from the rich and give it to the poor.” Eric scoffs at Roger’s proclamation, “What part of you gives to the poor. I’ve read all about you. You kept all the money you stole. Furthermore, you’re a cheapskate. You mooch off me for a lot of things.”

Roger laughs, “Hey, I am poor. I do that to get on your nerves. Furthermore, I mostly steal from other scammers. Well that, and I prefer people paying for my expenses. That suit I got Iskandar already cost me a pretty penny. Do you know how hard it is to find something like that in his size? Besides, I do give to the poor. Furthermore, I mostly steal from other scammers. Each time I steal from some rich guy or rich company, I return the money that was taken from others.”

“After I steal the money, I return the amount that was taken back to the original owners. After I’ve done so, everything that’s left is given to me. If you’re talking about the articles about me, they’re mainly lying. Those guys I stole from publicized what I did and made me the bad guy in their narrative of events. That’s all there is to it.”

As the two masters were discussing, Iskandar ordered plenty of food and drinks for himself. While the servants were busy eating and the masters were busy arguing, Eddie and Lancer walks through the door and goes to their table to confront them. “Hello guys, remember us? We’ve come to take you in.”

0