Chapter 70: Loss
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Carter volunteered, all eyes were on him. Everyone turned their sights to him with shocked expressions. They were baffled about where his confidence comes from. Everyone could see that despite Eric and Roger recounting the events that transpired against the King of Heroes, it did not deter Carter. Not even by a little.

As Carter stood up and volunteered, he was not surprised by their gazes. He knew facing Gilgamesh would be a monumental task. There were not many that can stand toe-to-toe with him. But Carter had a trump card that could even the playing field. “Look, I’m not surprised that you’re looking at me like that after what just happened. The original plan was to apprehend them as soon as they came out of the Reality Marble. But the unexpected happened and we lost big time.”

“I’m not going to deny that we suffered heavy losses. But just because we've suffered another loss, doesn’t necessarily mean we’re going to lose again. I believe I may have a way of fighting Gilgamesh. I won’t make any promises but I need all of you to trust me. I need all of you to believe that I can do this. Eric, Roger, I’m gonna need you to get in contact with Professor Morse. I want you to tell him that we’ll face him three days from now. Tell him that the battle will take place at National City Park at dawn, right beside the lake.”

After much convincing, everyone finally agreed to Carter’s wishes. There was nothing they could do against Carter's resolve. The best they could do is go along with it and prepare for the worst. When the meeting finally ended, Carter left with Saber to begin preparing for the battle ahead.

Shortly after the meeting ended, Eric followed Carter’s request and contacted Professor Morse. After a while, the call finally got through. “Professor it’s me, Eric. Saber’s master wants to have a final showdown. He said that he wants to end this war. He said that the battle will take place at the park. He’ll be waiting beside the lake and will initiate the battle at dawn.” Lucas listened attentively to his former student’s message.

After giving Lucas information regarding the time and place of the battle, Eric asks him a follow-up question. “Will you not reconsider your wish, Professor? Such a thing shouldn’t be possible even with the grail’s power.” Lucas was silent before answering the question with an answer filled with rage. “I want to wish for is none of your business. As long as I get what I want from this Holy Grail War, nothing else matters.”

After telling his former student off, Lucas ended the call. He felt like he could not be bothered by the likes of someone ignorant. He knew that only the Holy Grail had the power to make his desire a reality.

After the call ended, Eric told J’onn and Carter about the call. He told them that he had already conveyed the information, but he did not tell them about the discussion that came afterward. With the matter settled, Carter continued the rest of the day by practicing with Saber. In order to face Gilgamesh, Carter took on the two forms he had that could best face the King of Heroes. Carter trained until the sun sets only taking a few short breaks in between, before finally taking a long rest.

When he finally ended his training session with Saber, Carter turned to J’onn to find out about Eddie. J’onn activated the locator. After scouring the entirety of Earth-Prime, the locator found a single dot in Norway. Seeing the distance between the two locations, Carter knew it had to be Eddie because there was no one else who was a master and could have gotten so far in such a short amount of time.

Having obtained the information on his fiance’s whereabouts, Carter opened a breach and went to Eddie. When he exited, he found Eddie staring at the stars. He was sitting on a patch of grass near the edge of a cliff. Carter could feel the cold breeze blowing and the waves crashing against the cliff.

Carter approach Eddie from behind and got on his knees and gave him a hug from behind. Feeling the sudden warmth of human contact, Eddie felt the arms that tightly wrapped around him. He felt safe. “It’s gonna be okay.” After hearing those words comforting him being spoken from a familiar voice, as his body was wrapped by an all too familiar set of arms, Eddie felt that some of the guilt and pain had disappeared.

“Thank you, Carter. I’m sorry for suddenly running away.” Carter sat behind Eddie and still kept his arms around him. “I know. I don’t blame you. Seeing something like that, no one can come out of it completely fine. If they are, then that either means that they’re lying or that there’s something seriously wrong with them.”

Carter’s words comforted him even further. But then Eddie asks Carter a question, “By the way Carter, why did it take you so long to look for me?” Eddie’s question embarrassed Carter. He could not tell Eddie the actual reason he didn’t look for Eddie immediately. He knew Eddie would not stop worrying about him if he told the truth. So he answered with a little white lie.

“I didn’t come after you directly because I knew you just lost Brynhildr. You needed some time alone. I needed to give you the time and space you needed to grieve. I’m sorry for not looking for you immediately. So you need to get over this. You’re The Flash, the Scarlett Speedster, you’re my Speed Demon. You can’t stay like this forever. You are the beacon of hope for Central City. I’m sure even Brynhildr wouldn’t want to see you like this. I’m sure she would’ve wanted you to carry on and continue running.”

When Carter mentioned Brynhildr, Eddie’s servant, a tear ran down his cheek when he recalled how she died. But then Carter’s next words comforted him and he cheered up. “Thanks, Carter. I needed that.” Carter then opened a breach and the duo returned to the DEO.

In order to make sure that Eddie does not fall into depression, Carter kept him company throughout the entire night. Carter wanted to make sure that Eddie was not alone. Carter knew he needed to distract Eddie from thinking about Brynhildr, so he distracted Eddie by offering his fiancé, his body. Carter hoped that Eddie would not think about Brynhildr, if they were to get intimate. Carter knew his plan was a success when they had a night filled with passion.

As Eddie slept soundly that night, Carter stayed beside him and hugged him as he slept. However, Carter was not sleeping as soundly. His mind wandered each time he thought about how his battle with Gilgamesh would go. He hoped that the war would finally be over after his battle with Gilgamesh.

0