Chapter 71: Duel At Dawn
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days later, Carter and Saber arrived at the agreed-upon location. After a few minutes of waiting, Gilgamesh appeared with his master. Oliver also made an appearance to supervise the battle that was about to begin. The King of Heroes glared daggers at Carter, “Do you have any last words before the sunrises, Faker?” He was disgusted by the notion of a normal man having the powers of a servant.

“I’m here to settle the score with you. The first time we met, I had no other choice but to run. But now I’ve gotten stronger. I’ll prove to you that a Faker can be just as powerful as an actual servant.” That was the proclamation Carter made to Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh scoffs in contempt, “What utter nonsense. You are just an imposter, a Faker. You will never live up to the magnificence of a Heroic Spirit, let alone that of this king.”

The first rays of light reached the location where the five people were standing, and all of them were brought into the Reality Marble. Once inside, both sides got ready for an all-out battle. Gilgamesh donned his golden armor, while Saber was in a stunning white kimono, and Carter “Imprint..Archer”, took on the form of EMIYA.

As multiple ripples appeared around Gilgamesh, no traces of Oliver could be found and Professor Lucas Morse already kept his distance from the battle. Saber drew out her katana from its sheath while Carter materialized EMIYA’s dual swords, Kansho and Bakuya. At the same time, Carter also utilized EMIYA’s abilities and materialized a few more swords overhead.

Carter and Saber both ran up to Gilgamesh hoping to reach him before he could launch his various weapons. Unfortunately, their plan did not come to fruition. As they approached, he immediately unleashed a barrage of weapons. The best that the master and servant could do was to block and deflect the incoming attack.

As they were blocking and deflecting the incoming attacks, Carter asks Saber who was beside him in a similar situation. “Saber, can you see it? Can you see his red lines?” Saber nods to her master’s question, “Yes master. With my Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, I can not only see his lines of death, but also the lines of death of his various weapons.”

Utilizing her visual power, Saber cuts the red lines of the weapons that targeted her. As soon as she cuts the lines of several of the weapons that were aimed at her, they immediately lose their power and fall apart. Witnessing this scene, Gilgamesh was enraged. “Mongrel, how dare you do that to my treasures? I’ll make you pay for such disrespect.”

After Gilgamesh said those words, he increased the number of weapons that were attacking Carter and Saber. With the barrage intensifying, Carter knew he needed to pull back and retreat. “Rho Aias”, a large scarlet flower materialized in front of Carter. The petals of the flower unfurled and a barrier was erected in front of him. “That’s enough Saber. Pull back. We need to rethink our strategy.”

Heeding her master’s advice, Saber kept deflecting the incoming projectiles as she slowly inches closer and closer to Carter. After she was close enough, she took refuge behind the barrier her master had erected. Seeing how the situation was not in their favor, Carter grabs Saber by the waist with his free hand. “Imprint.. Rider”, Carter takes on Achilles’ form and immediately ran from the area taking Saber with him.

Utilizing Achilles’ speed, Carter and Saber managed to make a quick getaway before being struck by Gilgamesh’s assortment of sacred treasures. Carter took Saber to the other end of the island before spotting the beach where he fought against Iskandar. Carter then changed directions and headed to the beach.

When they reached the beach, Carter puts Saber down. “Master, we cannot continue running like this.” Carter stretches and regulated his breathing. “I agree. We can’t continue to run and avoid him until he runs out of mana. With his ability, the sheer amount of mana he consumes must be astronomical. From what I can tell, he doesn’t need to stop to replenish his used mana, as he may have it in abundance. Our best option is for a direct confrontation. Alright Saber, here’s the plan.”

As Carter and Saber were getting ready for another confrontation with Gilgamesh, Eddie had just woken up from his sleep. Eddie recalled that in order to relieve him of his stress, and unstable emotional state, Carter had spent another night of intimate passion with him. Eddie got up from the bed and took a shower. After he clothed himself, he realized that he had gotten over the death of his servant. Carter had comforted him.

Eddie still recalled the words Carter spoke before the both of them fell asleep. “I know you’re hurting. I know you’ve just lost someone close to you. But I want you to know that I’m here, and that I’ll always be here for you. I’ll be here for you no matter what.” When he left his room, Eddie found that the Entire DEO was in a panic.

When Eddie found J’onn, he asks him “What’s going on J’onn? Why’s everybody running around like headless chickens?” J’onn was going through the surveillance footage when Eddie arrived. “I’m trying to understand it myself. About an hour ago, everyone was getting ready to stop Gilgamesh. Everyone was fully equipped, even Kara was ready to face the guy. But suddenly, we all fell asleep, myself included. I’m trying to go over the surveillance footage to see who the culprit is.”

As they combed through the surveillance footage, a single screen caught J’onn’s attention. It showed carter leaving Eddie’s room early in the morning. He then went to the garden, and drew a magic circle on the ground. While he was doing that, everyone was getting ready to sortie.

Eddie recalled that at the time, he was also getting up. When the others reached the command center, they also asked J’onn similar questions. J’onn showed them the footage the surveillance system caught. When Constantine saw the circle he made a conjecture, “Is that circle for a sleeping spell?”

Caster answered Constantine’s conjecture, “You’re correct occult mage. That is a sleeping spell. But I think the questions is that why would he cast it?” Many people were making assumptions, but Caster and Assassin knew the reason as they were unaffected by it. As they all watched the footage, Assassin spoke, “I admire that young man’s conviction. To think he would go so far.”

Eddie remembered that three days ago, J’onn had told him about Carter volunteering to face Gilgamesh. Then he remembered that today was the day of the duel. When he saw the clock, Eddie realized that it was past the appointed time. Eddie then came to the conclusion he did not want to happen. “They went to face him alone.” Assassin then turns his gaze to Eddie, “You are correct, Lancer’s master.”

0