Chapter 76: Lucas’s Wish
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slowly he opened his eyes and his blurred vision became clearer. Carter had just woken up and regained consciousness. He could still pain from the few wounds that he had not recovered from. A green aura glowed around him for a while as he casts a spell and recovers from his injuries. When Carter looked around, he found Eddie missing and Saber on the next bed over.

Carter got up and walked to her bed before healing her. “Imprint..Caster”, utilizing Caster’s expertise, Carter heals Saber, while correcting her spine and fixing her broken ribs. It took him a while but he was able to mend and heal everything. After he finished properly healing her, Saber regained consciousness.

“Master, where am I? What happened?” Carter recounted recent events to Saber up to the point that they were brought into the infirmary. Having fully recovered, the two of them exited the infirmary in search of everyone. When they reached the command center, Carter found Eddie and J’onn scouring the city for Lucas and Illya’s whereabouts. It took a while before Eddie noticed Carter and Saber.

“Carter, you’re awake. Thank goodness you’re alright.” Eddie stopped what he was doing and hugged Carter who had just walked into the room. “Saber, thank you for bringing him back safe and sound.” Saber smiled and said, “It is my duty to keep master safe, but it appears that master contributed more than I did in that battle.” After Saber said that, she left Carter with Eddie and went to her own devices.

Seeing Eddie search so hard for Illya comforted Carter, “Thank you for working so hard Eddie. Thank you for searching for her.” Eddie kisses Carter then hugs him, “Isn’t it, my job to do so. You said you wanted her to be our daughter and after the brief encounter I had with her, so do I. I want her to be our daughter too. Isn’t it every parent’s job to search Heaven and Earth when their child gets kidnapped or goes missing?”

Carter was touched as a tear fell down his cheek. “Yeah, you’re right! Let’s keep searching for her. Let’s keep searching for our daughter.” Eddie brought Carter to the monitor to show him the progress of their search. Eddie told Carter that Supergirl, Stargirl, and S.T.R.I.P.E, have all taken to the skies to search for her.

Eddie brought Carter to the conference room where everyone else was waiting for him. Constantine was the first to greet Carter upon his return even though it was a little crass. “Welcome back you wanker. Now, why don’t you tell us how you want to find your daughter, because that little girl has a lot of power. And we need to find her quick before that arse, Morse, makes his wish.” Eric then looked at the map for possible locations before explaining, “I know what the Professor will wish for, but I was against it, as it isn’t right by any standard."

Carter looked to Eddie before turning his attention back to Eric, “What is his wish?” Eric found it difficult to say, then Constantine edged him on, “Go on lad, tell him what you told us.” Eric took a deep breath before speaking his mind. “The Professor wants to use the wish to bring his dead wife back to life. I know it should be impossible but he says he wants to try it anyway.”

After listening to Eric, Carter had a solemn expression, “You’re right. It’s not possible.” Eddie then asks Carter, “How do you know?” Oliver then answers, “Because she should’ve told him about it. Right Carter.” Carter nods and explains, “Illya told me before that one of the wishes that cannot be made is to bring the dead back to life. She explained that it goes against the will of Gaia.”

After listening to Carter explain what Illya told him, everyone was now worried about what sort of wish Professor Morse would make since he could not bring his wife back to life. After a while longer of fruitless searching, Pat, Kara, and Courtney returned and reported to J’onn. Just as they were about to stop for the day, Carter recalled something after going through the various memories of his servant imprints.

After going through Ruler’s memories, it finally donned on Carter. He went to tell everyone his new insight. “Where is the best place to hide?” Oliver was the first to answer when some of them were stumped by the question. “In plain sight, but what has this got to do with anything?” Carter then answered with excitement, “That’s the answer. What about, where do you go when you’ve got nowhere else to go?” Eddie then answers, “You go to the place you’re most familiar with, your home.”

Carter smiles, “Right, your home. Aside from his home and his office, where else would the Professor go to hide but still have some power?” Constantine was the one to answer this question, “Bloody hell, the wanker went back to that underground chamber. That place has a bounded field in place and makes it undetectable.” After coming to this conclusion, everyone left the DEO and returned to the underground chamber under the park.

When they arrived, they found the entrance had been sealed by a powerful sealing spell. Carter imprinted Caster and easily undoes the seal on the entrance. The group descended the stairs cautiously. When they arrived, they found the room to be empty. However, with their heightened perception of mana, Carter and Caster were able to sense the fluctuations of magical energy in the air.

Carter found a similar magic circle drawn on the ground as the one that Lucas used to escape from him and everyone. When Carter followed the flow of mana, he found the wall behind the desk to be odd. Carter casts a spell and unseals the wall revealing a secret room. Inside the room, everyone found various tomes and artifacts. After going through some of them, Carter could not find any clues indicating Lucas and Illya’s whereabouts.

Eddie was greatly disappointed, “It looks like this place was a dead end, what now?” As he went through the room and investigated, Oliver told everyone his conclusion, “It’s not a dead end. They were here. The torches are still pretty hot indicating that they left not too long ago. As they continued investigating the room, everyone felt the ground shake and took cover.

After the sudden earthquake, they received a call from J’onn. “Everyone, there seems to be a spike in energy coming just off the shore. Our monitors are indicating the energy spike is rapidly rising. I’m heading over there right now and I’ll meet you there as soon as possible. I have a bad feeling about this earthquake.”

After listening to J’onn’s message, everyone left the underground chamber. Eddie immediately ran towards the pier while Kara, Courtney, and Pat flew there. Carter drew a large magic circle in the air and placed it beneath the feet of the remaining heroes. He erected a barrier and they left the ground with the pier as their destination.

Sometime earlier, Lucas was greatly enraged when Illya told him that she was unable to grant her wish. Ilya put on a tough front as she answered him. “I told you, I cannot grant wishes to bring the dead back to life. Furthermore, you did not win the war, so why would I grant you your wish in the first place.”

Lucas took a potion he had just concocted with him as he took the grail with him and they left the underground chamber. When he arrived at the pier, he emptied out the contents of the potion into the grail. Illya squirmed before she stopped resisting, and became obedient. “What is your wish? I will grant any wish as long as they do not go against the will of Gaia and Alaya.”

Lucas resolved himself and made his wish, “O Holy Grail, I wish for my wife’s soul to be free from her prison.” After he made his wish, the grail glowed and released a bright golden light, before a whirlpool appeared just of the coast. The whirlpool kept increasing in size as the sky turned dark and thunder roared across the skies. A typhoon descended from the clouds and touched down in the center of the vortex.

The earth trembled as a deep voice bellowed from the center of the vortex of water and storm. “FINALLY, I AM FREE!!” A tremor was sent to the shore and through the entire city as this voice came out from the vortex.

 

1