Chapter 82: Deal and Departure
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Carter and Eddie separated from the rest of the group and talked to Illya, Oliver and Barry were watching them. When they saw how Illya disappeared, they felt Carter’s pain. They were also separated from their own daughters due to their circumstances. They understood his pain.

After Illya disappeared, Eddie picked Carter up and sat him down next to him. They cast their gaze across the water. Eddie tries to comfort Carter who was in a state of depression. Eddie wanted to cheer him up as he remembered Carter’s state after his parents died. He still remembered how Carter spiraled out of control when his parents died. At that time, Carter took the advice of his work family and went to therapy. He did not have anyone who understood his pain. But Eddie was there when she disappeared. He understood Carter’s pain. He wanted to keep Carter from spiraling again.

After the battle ended, everyone returned to the DEO, J’onn congratulated everyone for winning the war, and they had a party to celebrate the victory. While the party was ongoing and everyone was having fun, Carter left. He returned to his room locked it, and went under the covers as he cried himself to sleep that night. He blamed himself for losing Illya. In order to gain more power to save the world, Carter traded his future with the little girl.

Saber and Eddie saw how Carter left the party and followed him from behind. They kept their distance in order not to alert him. Saber wanted to go in to comfort her master but then Eddie stopped her. “I know you want to help him Saber but I think it’s best to leave him alone for the moment.”

Eddie sat outside the door and waited for Carter to fall asleep. After two hours of waiting, he tried to open the door and he realized that it was locked. So he vibrated his body and passed through the door. When he saw Carter sleeping, he got in the bed and held Carter from behind. “It’s going to be okay, babe. It’s gonna be okay. No matter what you go through, I’ll be here for you. I won’t leave until I know that you’re okay.”

That night after crying his eyes out, he remembered the words that EMIYA and Salieri said before they left. He had made his mistake, and now he had to suffer the repercussions of his decision. Soon after crying, even more, he fell asleep, and he dreamt about Illya. He dreamt about the life he could have had with her and Eddie.

The dream went on for a while before Carter returned to the vast empty void. “Alaya, if you can hear me, please respond,” Carter called out to the will of humanity for who knows how long before he finally heard her respond.

A sphere of white light appeared in front of him after he called out to Alaya. “Carter Grant, you have succeeded in ending and winning the war, congratulations.” When the ball of light congratulated him, Carter felt a tinge of irritation. “I want to make a wish.” Alaya was emotionless with her response, “I do not grant wishes. That falls under the jurisdiction of the Holy Grail.”

Seeing how Alaya refused him, Carter made another attempt to convince her to grant his wish. “How about a deal then? Are you willing to listen to a proposal?” Alaya was silent for a while before she responded, “I’m listening.” Carter continued with what he was saying. “I am a pseudo-Grand Class servant correct?” “Yes”, Alaya answered him. “I am bound to serve you correct?”

Once again Alaya gave him an affirmative answer. Carter then continued with his offer. “I am willing to offer myself to you completely, and follow every order that you give me." Before he could continue, Alaya interrupted him, “You already belong to me. Obeying my every order is within the purview of the job, and rejecting my order is impossible.” Carter agreed with her statement. “I know that but how about I do everything that you tell me to and go wherever want me to and I will do it, no questions asked. However, after five years of service to you, I want Illya returned to me.”

Alay silently floated in front of Carter, “You have nothing of value that can be offered to negotiate with me. You belong to me the moment you became a Grand Class servant. But I understand where you’re coming from. Since you’re the only Grand Class servant to still be alive, and not on the Throne of Heroes, I’ll accept your deal. After five years of service, Illya will be returned to you. But that does not mean your period of service is over. I will allow you to live your life until you are placed upon the Throne of Heroes.”

That morning, Carter woke up to find Eddie sleeping on the bed right beside him. Carter smiles and pulls the covers to keep Eddie warm. Afterward, he left to go to the park. The morning was still dark and cold when he arrived at the park. When he arrived, he found that he was not the first person there. Oliver, Saber, Assassin, Caster, and the respective masters were already there. Carter found that Saber was there waiting for him.

Oliver was chatting with Barry, while Caster was giving Joey a few last-minute advice on magic. Sara was chatting with Constantine while Assassin silently waited behind her. Everyone had partied hard the previous night and the masters and servants allowed them to sleep in. They did not need to be there when their new friends left.

“Now master, since our time is almost up, I’ll just call you by your name. Joey, since I will no longer be here to monitor your training and studies, I hope that you would continue with them. If you want to be a great mage in the future then you cannot skimp out on your studies. As a final parting gift, I’ll teach you one of my ultimate spells.” Caster then places her index finger on Joey’s forehead and sent him a burst of information. It took him a while to process all of that information that he just received.

“Thank you Caster, for everything. Hopefully, in time, I will join you on the Throne of Heroes. You were the best teacher I ever had.” After thanking her, Joey hugged Caster.

As the sun rose, and the first rays of sunlight hit, everyone said their goodbyes. Constantine said his goodbye to Assassin, “Goodbye Hassan. If it weren’t for you saving us from Heracles, we would’ve been goners. Thank you for saving our skins.” Sara then adds, “Yeah, thanks Hassan. If it weren’t for you, I would’ve bit more than I could chew. You also saved my crew. I owe you one.”

Assassin shakes his head, “Think nothing of it master. This old man was simply doing his job. If we ever get the chance to see each other again, this old man hopes that we can be of use to each other.” After saying his parting words, Assassin turns into light particles and disappears. Joey lets go of Caster, “Thank you for everything Caster, no, Scathach-skadi. I’ll always remember everything you taught me.” Caster nods as she turns into light particles, “Goodbye Joey. You were one of the best students that I had the pleasure of teaching.”

Carter hugs Saber right before she disappears. “Thank you for everything Shiki. We couldn’t have done it without you. I know I haven’t been the best master but I hope you understand that I have my own reasons for behaving the way I did. Thank you for being there for me Shiki. You were not just my servant but you were the sister I never had” Carter then hugs Saber. Saber then reciprocates, “It’s alright master, I understand. I hope you are able to fulfill the agreement you had with Alaya. Goodbye master.” With her parting words to Carter, Saber disappears.

Barry hugs Oliver, “Oliver, even though it was brief. It was good to see you again.” Barry sheds some tears since he was once again seeing his friend and mentor leave. Oliver then hugs Sara, and shakes Constantine’s hand. Oliver then shakes Carter’s hand when he walked over, “Carter, you did your best, and you did what you had to do. No one can blame you for that. Even if they did, they would never know the sacrifice you made for it. This is something every hero has to go through at some point. You need to move past this. I know you can do it. Hopefully, we’ll get to see each other again in the future.”

With his final words, the Ruler class servant Oliver Queen, disappeared and departed for his return to the Throne of Heroes. After the heroes returned to the Throne of Heroes, Carter noticed that the command seal on his hand had disappeared. It was not just his hand but on the hands of the other masters too. The disappearance of the command seal marked the end of the Holy Grail War.

0