Stumbling out of the Gate
1.5k 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ishi groggily woke up in the morning. Today was to be the big day that everyone but him was looking forward to. He groaned as his hand searched around to disable his alarm. This was going to be the longest day of his life. Outside of the sports section, he’d normally not do that many important tasks. Well, except for the acting in the play bit. Thankfully he didn’t have to suffer long during that part of his life. At least, that’s what he believed since the memory was fuzzy.

As he got out of bed, there was a knocking on his window. It was by Rinse, obviously. So this was a rather unpleasant start to his day as he went up to the girl. She had also just gotten up, her night gown still worn. The sun was rising at this time, and he got to see the sparkles of her outfit. She truly lived up to her name about being one of the most beautiful girls in school. Perhaps in this moment, the most.

“Good morning.” She greeted him. “Looks like today’s about to be real special, isn’t it?”

“That’s one way to look at it.” He responded with much less enthusiasm as her. They got themselves prepared for the day and headed out with Koto and Youna. The four of them walked down the road, which felt very different than usual. Probably because it didn’t have the usual hustle and bustle of adults, who were most likely already working hard so that they could head to their children’s respective festivals.

“I’m so excited for the play.” Koto said as they rode the train. “I didn’t think I’d enjoy practicing as much as I did.”

“Yeah, it seems like that Oizumi girl is a hard worker.” That girl really was an interesting character to him. His cousin would spend a lot of time at school with her so that they wouldn’t mess up their lines. Ishi only hoped that what he had planned for them wouldn’t end up ruining things. Not that he was worried about them. “What about you, Youna. You’ve been pretty quiet this morning.” That wasn’t anything unusual, but at least he could coax out a response.

“I’m fine.” She responded quickly, as if there was a timer to his question. “I’m just thinking about stuff, that’s all.” They sat in silence after she said that. Everyone else assumed she was going to mention what she was talking about.

“You going to elaborate?” He asked.

“It’s fine.” She repeated. “Just don’t worry about it.” Seeing her face, it was clear that she was gravely concerned about it. However, it was impossible for them to get it out of her. Youna was very distant this morning.

They arrived at the school. Unlike the usual business they’d do in the morning, the group was to head to where the rest of the students were going to. That being outside where there was a stand for the principle to give a speech from to begin the event.

“Koto, go join your class.” This was where the first year was going to be separated from the group. That wasn’t the end of that, as Ishi took his spot with their class. Rinse and Youna had a different location to come to because of their responsibilities with the culture festival. “I guess I’ll see you two after we get changed into our gym uniforms.” Then the boy laid back into his seat. For once ever since Rinse moved in, he was free and on his own. Now was the time for him to tune out the usual speeches and get a little bit of rest.

“Ahh, there you two are.” It was the other class rep, Arigo, who greeted them as they got to side of the stage. “Hanada, are you ready for the student’s introduction speech?”

“Speech?” It was needed to be explained to Rinse that after the student council president’s speech. That there would also be one to represent the third years, since they were the ones going on their ‘farewell’ festival. Traditionally, it was performed by the class representative of 3-1, who this year was Youna.

“I-I’m s-sure I’m r-r-ready.” Youna answered. Her tone made it very clear that she wasn’t, even if there were some papers in her hands to help her maintain things in order. The girl couldn’t control her knees shaking, or her arm having goosebumps. “I’ve… Pr-practiced it.”

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?” Rinse asked concerned. “Does it have to be you?”

“That’s how it’s done every year. Don’t see why we need to change things up this year.” Arigo answered for the girl. “I’m sure that plenty of students would love to see the popular Rinse Hattori make the speech instead, but it doesn’t’ really matter now.” His misunderstanding of the situation was pitiful.

“And now I’d like to introduce the third year’s representative.” Their student council president announced, which prompted the applause from the crowd. While sitting in the crowd, Ishi remembered that bit of tradition. Oh no… This wasn’t going to end well.

“O-okay, I’m… Up.” Youna took one big deep breath and took her steps towards the podium. There was already a misstep as she tripped up on her feet, falling to the ground. Pages scattered about on the ground and her glasses fell too. Fortunately they didn’t break as she ran her hands along the floor to find them.

“Are you all right?” Rinse came to her aid to ensure she wasn’t hurt.

“I’m… Fine.” Nothing was broken as she got back onto her feet. Quickly, the girl rushed about and gathered up her papers. Everyone was looking at them and Youna was already feeling the heat her body was producing from her anxiety.

Soon, the girl took her place at the podium and prepared herself to address the crowd. When she scanned across the many student around, it really hit her now. There were a lot of people here, hundreds, if not at least a thousand. Most important of all, every single one of them had their eyes on her right in this moment.

In reality, most of them weren’t actually paying that much attention to her. Everyone was just too excited about the events coming up to care about yet another speech. But Ishi was one of the people watching on. He was astounded by the thought process of the leaders of among the third years. She was the worst possible candidate for the job. No wonder that girl was more distant than usual.

He had been so wrapped up with the fundraising details and working with Rinse. The boy completely forgot about this detail. Why didn’t that girl tell him about it? He would’ve done something to stop this from occurring. Not because he cared about her or anything, but he wouldn’t want to allow a ticking time bomb of a mess to happen. Which judging by the scared look on her face, was only moments away from exploding.

“G-g-good… Morning… Everyone.” She started to speak, barely able to get any words out of her throat. Every thing she said had a slight pause to it. Hesitation from trying to make sure she didn’t mess up was slowing her down. “Welcome to the… Our culture festival… The last one… For some of us.”

Even he was cringing from how hard she was struggling. Normally he wouldn’t want Rinse to do anything, but now her help would be very much appreciated. “Now…” Youna took a look down to her paper to try and keep calm, but her eyes widened upon a harsh realization. When she tripped, it all got messed up and disorganized. This wasn’t what she was supposed to be talking about, not yet.

The girl attempted to fix it while still standing in front of everyone. Her hands were shaking too much to be able to quickly do it. Her heart was racing as she tried to think of something to say. They can all see her right now, why does this have to happen to her? “Anyway... let’s try… Do our best… In sports.” This was a pitiful display of a speech that anyone had said.

Youna was the one feeling the most pain out of this moment. Her throat was getting tight. Never once in her life did she want to cry so much.

“And third years, let’s show everyone and keep up our winning streak!” In her struggle, she didn’t notice someone else coming up to take command of the situation. It was Rinse, who couldn’t bear to watch this any longer. Her arrival injected energy into the crowd, which lead to a few cheers from their class.

“Y-yes…” Youna meekly spoke into the mic in agreement.

“And when we’re done winning, let’s enjoy our day together like it’s out last.” She continued on. “I’m looking forward to the many wonderful attractions that our students have come up with. Especially the one that I’ll be running, the talent show.” Now people had gotten real excited for the speech now. “Please, I want everyone to be able to live this day to their fullest. Let’s make today a day that we can look back at with no regrets!”

The audience applauded when she finished her speech. Even Ishi joined in as he breathed a major sigh of relief. Thank goodness that girl stepped up and saved the day. He might not care for when she stole the spotlight, but this was an exception.

“That was close.” Rinse murmured to herself as she also shared in breathing a sigh of relief. This was all done right on the spot, so she wasn’t sure if her words were going to work. Judging by the crowd, it seemed that it was a resounding success. “Hanada, let’s go and get ourselves changed.”

“Um… Thank you.” She said to her, not even able to look at the girl in the eye. “And… I’m sorry.” With those words, Youna took off running from the stage.

“H-Hanada!” Rinse called out to her, but her attempts at stopping her were futile.

31