Two Choices
1.3k 3 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first important matter at hand was for all the students to prepare to compete during the sports section of today. Ishi had joined the rest of the boys in changing to their gym clothes. Most of this consisted of having to deal with the ruckus and fooling around of teenage boys, along with listening in on them talking about how cute the girls would look.

Sure they might get a little sweaty, but perhaps that wetness could cause their white shirts to appear see through?

“That’s just weird.” Ishi muttered to himself when he heard someone make that point. Once he was finished changing, the boy quickly left the classroom for boys to head back outside. A fair bit of the girls were also done changing, one of them being Rinse. “Hey, where’s Youna?” He asked when he met up with her. The girl running off the stage the way she did wasn’t lost on him, but he was certain that Rinse would be able to handle things on her own. It turned out he was wrong for believing this.

“Come with me.” She took him by the arm and directed him away from the crowd. In usual fashion, since this girl didn’t have at least one person looking at her. Some people audibly spoke out in disappointment. For the boys, it seemed like Ishi was hogging her away from everyone else.

“You know, people are going to start thinking that we’re dating.” He stated as they hid around a corner.

“Aren’t you the one who says let them think what they want?” Ishi cracked a small smile from her statement. So she really was listening to him after all. “But anyway, we got a problem. I don’t know where Hanada ran off too.”

“That’s a problem indeed.” This sports day, and the culture festival itself, was mandatory for attendance. If Youna was willing to skip out of this, then she must’ve been devastated about what happen during the opening ceremony.

“I know she changed her outfit.” Obviously the first place she went to was that girl’s desk, since the girls were also changing in 3-1. Youna’s school uniform was in her bag, so it must’ve meant that she changed, but decided to ditch on them. “I checked the bathrooms too, but she wasn’t there.”

“I see…” It made more sense to Ishi now. “I think I know where she is.” He directed them back inside. There was little time for them to waste, as the sports events were going to be starting soon. People were counting on them to go through the courses and win for the third years. “I swear, you guys are always making me do things.” The boy complained as they moved about the school.

“That’s on you.” She snapped back, feeling the bit of pressure now. “You’re always whining about stuff happening to you. Did you ever wonder if that’s all your fault?” Indeed, perhaps if he kept his mouth shut more often, then he wouldn’t have to deal with all this. Their class could’ve just stuck with their original idea, so he wouldn’t have to be held responsible for them.

“But you’re the one that said this is going to be a real special day.” He countered. “And who do you have to thank for that?” The boy turned it around on her, since she was one that benefited from his actions.

“You know what I think? I think you secretly like doing all this.” She tried to expose him. “How else would you explain being in the middle of everything.”

“Oh yeah, sure.” He sarcastically responded. “I just love spending hours in front of school begging for money. Or maybe I was asking to get falsely accused when it went missing. And don’t forget that I’m running around the school looking for one girl.”

“Speaking of. I remember a certain someone telling me their life didn’t revolve around me.” Rinse wasn’t one to hold a grudge, but she wasn’t going to forget something repeated at her. “If you’re chasing around for Hanada, does that mean your life revolves around her?”

“…” He didn’t answer, but not because her question stunned him into silence. “If you’re done arguing, we’re here.” All he did was bring them back into their classroom. She was confused, the girl was already here and didn’t see her then. How could he assume that this would be the right spot?

“And?” She asked dumbfounded. “I was already here and she wasn’t.”

“You weren’t looking hard enough. Or I guess, a little too hard and not smart enough.” He walked to the back of the classroom, right where the utility locker was located at. The boy knocked on it, then spoke once more. “It’s just the two of us, so could you please come out?” There was silence after he spoke, and Rinse was certain he had lost it.

“…” Finally, the door to the locker opened, revealing Youna who had tucked herself away in there. Just as suspected, she was adorned in her gym clothes. She must’ve already changed before any of the other girls came to the room, but decided to hide herself away when the crowd began to make their arrival.

“I think you’re a bit too old to be pulling the same first year stunt you pulled last time.” He scolded her with little response.

“S-sorry…” She had tears running down her face. Her red eyes indicated that she had been quietly beating herself up while alone.

“Oh my gosh.” Quickly, Rinse grabbed some tissues from her desk and handed them to the sad girl. “It’ll be okay, don’t worry.”

“I really messed up.” Youna squatted down to the ground and covered her face. “It’s impossible to hide it. Everyone at school just saw me completely ruin that speech.” She lamented her personality. Of course her shyness took over, of course she would suffer from stage fright. It’s not like that many people were friends with her, but now she looked like a real loser in front of the entire student body. “They’re going to make fun of me, I know it.”

“I doubt that.” He spoke up after she was done talking.

“What makes you so confident?” Rinse asked him. “I thought you’d say something stupid, like who cares if people make fun of you?” She spoke in a poor imitation of his voice. A part of him did feel that it ultimately wouldn’t matter, but that wasn’t why he believed what he said.

“First because I think they forgot about it after you made your grand entrance.” That girl was very good at stealing the show and occupying the minds of many. The talk of the boys certainly made him feel certain about that fact. “Plus, no one really hates Youna.” Or even disliked her at all. That girl was viewed very positively at school, even if a bit lonely. “So I’m pretty sure that most will be sympathetic to what happened.”

“I guess you’re right.” Youna got back up, but she still was unsure about returning. “But, I really messed up such an important duty. I’m a real useless person, aren’t I?”

“You simply weren’t the right person for the job.” He informed her that he was against the idea the moment he realized what was going on. If he had some say, then perhaps things would’ve turned out every differently. “And don’t say that you’re useless, no one’s useless.” Rinse was surprised that someone like him would say something like that. He never seemed the type to bring out quotes of an uplifting nature. Not to say that she disagreed with the sentiment. “So you got two choices, you could stay stuck in here for the whole day or you can come with us and enjoy the festival with everyone.”

“I…” This was a familiar sight to her. Two years ago, he gave her the same choices as right now. It was the first day of high school for them. She had embarrassed herself in front of the class when they were making their introductions. The girl said something stupid that was misunderstood and some of the kids had laughed. During their break, she had stuffed herself in the locker when everyone else went out.

The only person to not do so was Ishi, who had dozed off in class. He was awoken by her crying and sniffling. Which was also how he found her. His words to her were the same, except for the second choice. ‘Enjoy high school with everyone.’ That’s what he told her back then. “I’ll come out with you.” That was her answer, then and now.

“Good, now let’s go before we’re late.” He said, already making his way out of the room without them.

“Hey, don’t be in that big of a rush.” Rinse complained as the other two girls had to pick up the pace to join him. While they walked, she had this strange feeling within. Even though he didn’t answer her question from before, perhaps what he would’ve said would not be to her liking.

This was new to her. For some reason, she was beginning to care about the kind of people he had around him. Specifically those of the opposite gender. Youna, Ryugi, and even Chinae. This boy was a lot more popular, in terms of notability, than he originally portrayed himself to be. Was it because of bad luck, or was there something there that drew people towards him?

They finally returned to the track. Just in time as the events for their classes were going to begin soon. However, there was one final thing that needed to be taken care of before the games were to truly begin. Arigo, the other class rep came up to them the moment he saw them arrive. He was not alone either, as his friend, Saya stood besides him.

“Well, you got something to say?” Saya pulled onto the boy’s ear, clearly upset with him.

“I’m sorry.” He spoke as soon as he was freed from her grip. “What happened up there was completely my fault. I never meant to set you up for failure like that.” Arigo was being a little dense when it came to sensing how she felt about the task. The idea about giving the students a wonderful culture festival while keeping it in line with tradition blinded him to making the right choices. “I can hope you can forgive me.”

“It’s fine.” Youna accepted the apology with no hesitation. She certainly would never want to live through that again. But perhaps, she could learn to develop past her fears. As long as a certain somebody kept her company while she improved.

35