New Year’s Resolution 2
474 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now it was time for everyone to usher in the new year with some enjoyment of food, friends, and family. So they all headed over to Youna’s house where her family had arranged a nice mix of food and drink for everyone. Funnily enough, even if the young girl hadn’t asked them all over, her parents practically did it after they invited everyone’s parents.

“Nice to get into a warm place.” As a girl who was more obsessed her with appearance, Ryugi wasn’t wearing clothes appropriate for this weather. “The snow’s picking up a lot now.”

“Yeah, but you look so cute in your skirt.” Her friends were always there to encourage bad behavior as everyone got themselves set in this house.

“I’m going to get changed.” Youna couldn’t wait to get out of her kimono once they entered the confines of her home.

“Actually, when you’re done, I’d love to see your room.” Rinse asked, which prompted the other girl to panic in denying them the opportunity.

“You can’t!” She yelled out a bit too loud. “I mean, my room’s a mess. You don’t really need to see all of that.” Of course, this wasn’t the primary reason for her prevent them from entering. It was considered a private space for her to enjoy the things she was too embarrassed to tell everyone about. So basically it was covered all over with her hobbies.

“That’s a shame.” Chinae commented as the girl left them and headed up the stairs.

“This just makes me more more curious about what she’s keeping secret.” Ryugi had a mischievous look on her face. “Come on, Ishi. Don’t you want to see what her room’s like?”

“A little, but I’m not going to bother prying into it.” While he wanted to know more about Youna, and wanted her to be more open, there were things he was willing to back off on. “I don’t personally care about the idea, but I am a boy. So she’s definitely wouldn’t want someone like me or Otoya going in there.”

“Such a party pooper.” Ryugi hung her head down in disappointment as she and her friends left to enjoy some snacks. Chinae and Rinse also headed off together to check out on some of the games set up for the kids and adults to play with. The former most likely headed in that direction because of her father being there. All those children would certainly put a strain on his body.

Of course Otoya and Koto would follow them. First because of the idol, but also because those games looked like fun. Meanwhile, Ishi just did his own thing as he check out some of the food put out. The boy got a couple of plates and sat alone at one of the tables Youna’s family set up for the guests.

He waited for a few minutes, knowing what was to come next. Youna walked down the steps in much more casual wear. Since they weren’t used to what the girl wore at home, it was interesting to see her wear the same long dress she wore that time they went to the movies together. It was clear that this was because of their guests, rather than this being what the girl would naturally wear at home.

Ishi waved over to her to join him. She got a little nervous to see him there all alone, beckoning the girl to come in his direction. Still, this was an opportunity that she wasn’t going to give up as she walked over to him.

“I got you some food.” He told her as she sat down. “I’m not really one for social gatherings, and I’m sure you’re not either.”

“You’re right.” She responded as she took a bite of her food. “But my parents said they were so glad that I have so many friends now. So… They wanted to throw a celebration for everything that’s happened this year.”

“It really has been a crazy year.” He also ate his food as their shared in their private conversation. There was just something about Ishi that made her feel like everything going on around them was meaningless. “Ever since Rinse came into our lives, things really took a change.”

“Do you miss it before she came?” She asked. “I mean, back when it was just us… Oh and Otoya.”

“I though I would, but honestly not really.” He answered. “Back then, we weren’t even friends.” Though Ishi would’ve never entertained the idea, one could argue that they were already close enough to be considered as such before that day at the movie theater. “I believed I was fine with the status quo, but it looks like I was the one who needed the change.”

“I guess so.” She couldn’t deny that the idol’s arrival had changed up her plans. Before hand, Youna had strongly considered never telling him the truth about her feelings for the boy. After all, they were only acquaintances. So maybe it was better to just graduate high school and move on without ever asking him out.

But she became much more bold because of the opportunities given to her thanks to Rinse. He would’ve never asked her out to the movie theaters if that girl never moved in. Things would’ve just stayed the same their third year were it not for all the fun adventures they went through.

“I see you decided to avoid all the crowds, as usual.” Their conversation got interrupted by Ryugi and the gyarus as that group say with them. “Do you think the food tastes great? I think it’s amazing. Youna, did your mom cook all this?” They were hit with a barrage of questions that effectively ended their conversation.

“She did, along with my grandmother.” Youna quieted down now that they were other people here. While Ryugi was a girl she was used to, the gal’s other friends seemed a bit intimidating.

“Did you cook too?” Ishi asked, not allowing the girl to sink into the background due to the people louder than her.

“Just a little bit.” She sheepishly answered. “I only helped them, so it wasn’t a lot.”

“Well it looks like you’re family’s filled with great cooks.” Ryugi rudely helped herself out by taking a kebab from Ishi’s plate.

“A please would’ve been enough.” Ishi responded in kind by taking one of her rice balls. The pair had this chemistry that Youna was immensely jealous of. These two were always so open and expressive with one another.

Sure, the boy was always open with everyone, but he never had this relaxed nature he had now when it was with just her. Just thinking about it only made her feel worse about their relationship. The girl must’ve been a bore to him, and he only stuck around her to be nice.

“I’m sorry.” Youna stood up from the table with plate in hand. “I just need to go to my parents for a little bit.”

“Is everything all right?” Ishi asked, but he was left with vague answers.

“Of course I’m fine.” She told him with unease. “Don’t worry about me, just enjoy yourselves at our celebration.” With that, she walked away from the group.

“What’s up with her?” Ryugi asked. “She doesn’t hate me, does she?”

“I doubt it.” Ishi assured her. “Youna’s not really the type to dislike people.” At least, not openly. She’d definitely be the kind of person to swallow her disdain and stick with him to not appear to upset with them.

“Good.” She breathed a sigh of relief. “I was worried that the class rep got tired of me.”

“I thought you were cool with the class rep?” Asked Non, one of her friends. “How come you never call her by name?”

“Yeah, it’s kind of weird to call her the rep all the time.” Ishi agreed. A rarity considering the people he was agreeing with. “Are you actually even friends?”

“Of course I’m friends with Youna.” Ryugi defended herself from their questioning looks. “Being the class rep is a cool thing to be, so I thought it’d be nice to refer to her like that. But I guess I’ve been a little mean to her. After all, she only ever wants to hang out with Ishi.” To the gyarus it was clear why that was the case. “And sometimes I take you away.”

“Yeah, it’s a little silly.” Her friends didn’t stop with just pointing out the oddities.

“I guess it’s fine though.” She tried to justify her actions. “If she was upset about it, then she could’ve told me. I wouldn’t get mad at her.”

“True.” Ishi agreed. “But you know how Youna can be. If she didn’t keep getting in her own way, then she’d be perfectly fine.”

15