Happiness 1
685 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was just another day at school, as usual for everyone. However, there were some murmurs going on among everybody. After all, there was no way to ignore the obvious date coming up. That being February 14th, better known as Valentine's day.

Normally, this was a day that already annoyed Ishi since people were always talking about whether they’d be getting chocolate or not. As well as the people wondering if now is a good time to confess to someone they’ve been crushing on for a while. While some people might say that he was only grumpy because he didn’t get anything, he would counter that Youna had given him obligatory chocolates for the past two years now.

However there were two primary reasons why he wasn’t looking forward to this holiday. The first was how he felt his heart break after being stood up by someone sending him that letter. Perhaps it was a prank, but no one seemed to step up and claim that it was them. This left him to believe that some girl had originally wanted to confess to him, but changed their minds upon thinking hard on it.

Despite saying that he planned on rejecting them that day. There was a part of him that wondered what could’ve been. It only fueled more fire to his disdain of being in this teenage body and dealing with such angst.

The latter reason why he wasn’t looking forward to this holiday was much less serious. This being Rinse’s existence ever since she came into their class. Of course a lot of boys really wanted her to give them chocolates, and not just obligatory ones either. He thought that was stupid, since there was no way she’d actually confess to anyone that day. But logic doesn’t really stop people from wishing, does it?

“Ishi, is there anyone you want to get chocolates from?” Otoya asked him as they sat around for their second break.

“I feel like you should know me well enough to already know the answer.” He responded. To be fair, his life had taken a drastic turn since the idol’s arrival. For starters, there were a lot more girls in his life, like Ryugi and Chinae. Even Youna became his friend during this time.

“I know you’ll just say you don’t care about the whole thing.” Despite the cold attitude, there was little dampening his best friend’s mood. “But maybe you might still be holding out hope for that one girl.”

“Not a chance.” If someone was going to do that to him once, then there was no reason for him to believe they wouldn’t do it a second time. “And if anyone even thinks of sending me another love letter, I’m tearing it up and walking away.”

“Sheesh, I didn’t realize how mad that gets you.” The smile on Otoya’s face didn’t seem to concerned over it. Perhaps because he understood the boy’s reasoning and that he most likely wouldn’t turn that anger towards him. “Anyway, you already know who I’m hoping for.” It was painfully clear ever since the day that girl walked into their lives.

However, there might’ve been other plans for the boys as the day went on by. The first reason for Ishi to believe it was Seyuki approaching him during this break. She was without his cousin, Koto, as this was supposed to be a secret trip.

“Ishi, can I ask you something?” She whispered into his ear, which he felt was pointless seeing as that boy wasn’t anywhere near them.

“Go ahead.” He responded with his normal volume. “But I’m guessing you’re wondering what’s Koto’s favorite chocolate is.”

“Wow, you can read minds!?” She somehow was astounded that he knew her question. Considering how dimwitted those two were, Ishi was thinking they were perfect for each other.

“Anyway, he’s a mint kind of boy.” Ishi answered her question now. “I got a good recipe if you want to try and make it yourself.”

“Give it to me!” She shook him and yelled out loudly, attracting the attention of the others in the classroom. He pushed her off, now annoyed with how little she cared for her surrounding. Then the boy told her that he’d send her the recipe over the phone to maintain some semblance of privacy away from Koto. “Thanks so much.” She glowed as she scanned over the link he sent to her phone. “He’ll love it so much.” When she left, the second reason he believed this valentines was going to be different approached him.

It was another girl, one that Ishi never really talked to since they weren’t even acquaintances. However he did know her as Marika, who was a girl that hung around with Otoya from time-to-time. That boy had left for the restrooms, so she obviously came due to the opportunity.

“Can I also ask you a question?”

“He likes them salty, and very dark.” It was astounding for him to think that his best friend could like something that sounded so unappealing. But that simply was how it was.

“Wow, you really can read minds.” Was it really that big of a shock for him to be able to read the context here? No wonder he thought so many people around him were kind of dumb. “Thank you, I think I already have something in mind.” It appeared that she was a lot more skilled at making chocolates if she didn’t ask for his advice on that matter.

“Looks like those two are going to have an interesting valentines.” Ishi murmured to himself as class resumed. Things were normal otherwise as they finished up and heard the bell signal the end of the school day.

Unfortunately, with the holiday coming up, more and more people seemed more interested in Rinse. The idea of her actually handing out some chocolate had gotten into the minds of many, and they were all curious to see if she’d do something like that on that fateful day.

“Are you going to be making any chocolates?” Someone asked.

“Well, I do consider myself to be good at making sweets.” Thanks to her idol job, she had the wonderful opportunity of learning new experiences during television appearances.

“You should do it.” Out of everyone there, the biggest surprise was hearing Ishi be the one to make the suggestion.

“What!?” She looked at him dumbfounded. “B-but, I mean…” Rinse got nervous about the idea. Of course people would expect her to make it for someone she liked. That was a problem for someone who was pretending that she didn’t have a crush on anyone.

“Only if you like someone.” He continued. “Sheesh, let me finish my thoughts first… Anyway, you should only do it if you have romantic feelings for someone. Otherwise, it’s probably just going to be some obligatory chocolates for me and Otoya.”

“Why should it be you?” Already there were people complaining about his hypothetical scenario. “You’re always so rude to girls.”

“Yeah, why are you even butting in this conversation now?”

“First because I’m her friend.” Given the way that both of them referred to each other so informally should make that point obvious. “And second, I sit here.” Again, his problem of her sitting besides him came up. Ishi was sticking around at his own desk, but people kept treating it like a problem if he talked with them with his usual harshness. Plus he was waiting for Rinse to finish up here so they could walk home together with Koto and Youna.

He couldn’t understand why they’d take issue with his suggestion. They were the ones who were wanting her to give someone chocolate. Admittedly they may not have cared if she did so romantically, but that was why Ishi said to do it only under those circumstances. Otherwise, she might feel compelled to make obligatory chocolates for every boy in this class. That would take a lot of effort coming from her.

“I’ll do it.” Rinse reminded them all who was in the middle of this conversation. “When I came here, I wanted to be able to experience the many things I could growing up as an idol.” So this was her chance, but there was more to it than just that. Many things had happened to her and the people around her. Her own feelings had been growing. Slowly, yet steadily as it approached the boiling point. “So, I’d like to try it out.”

“I see.” He responded a little more disappointed compare to the excitement stirred from his classmates. “When I told you to do it, I meant that it should be genuine. I don’t want you to play around with some guys feelings so you can have a certain experience.”

“I guess we’ll all find out then, Ishi.” She smiled at him, and told everyone that she’ll think it over for the night. After all, at this point no one knew who would be the one to receive the chocolates.

16