Log 01C: Effort
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And the gates opened. We didn’t even need to exchange words- our plan was clear.

I rushed towards the planned vantage point, which we had designated as a “counter-vantage point.” Instead of an elevated hill that could look down on possible routes below it, this position could defend two pathways towards our flag and spot anyone attempting to scout on us from three hills within sight.

Having arrived, I used the edge of my energy-based combat shield to cut a hole in the large tree in front of me, allowing me to use it to spy on possible attackers.

“Movement spotted at point D, sector C-5. Both of them, but one leading in front. Estimated purpose: Distract and rush.”

“Got it. We’re executing maneuver six, fast variant.”

“Acknowledged.”

The fools. They simply took another route. Their tactic was unchanged!

They would feel the wrath of the Creep Detectives today!

“Executing part one. Enemy position: C-5, point B.”

Bardo’s instinctive shout immediately informed me that Nick’s ambush was successful. Indeed, when I arrived at the edge of sector C-5 and hid myself between the tree at point A, I knew well what to do.

Nick had burned the area towards the center hills, forcing the hostile pair to stay in the denser area. However, having confirmed their tactic earlier, we knew exactly what they would do now. After all, we kept the path to the best vantage point of all open.

And that point was right next to point A!

Bardo ran past me, up the hill, but he tripped on the small patch of twigs Nick had set up at the exact spot he stood on. I walked up to him and fired the full blast of my shotgun at the back of his head, penetrating his shields and instantly eliminating him. Thunder roared.

In my hud, I set the clock. We had exactly sixty seconds before he would respawn at his base. I also knew I had exactly fifteen seconds to intercept Torch at sector D-2. After all, Bardo was meant as a distraction- in their planning, Torch would continue running, whatever Bardo’s fate was. An automated voice echoed through the jungle.

“Blue flag was grabbed.”

Now, the second part of maneuver six was set in motion. While running towards point E in sector D-2, I saw smoke on the horizon. Nick did his part, blocking off one of the possible routes for Torch to take through the smoke. If Torch took the route right next to one of the center hills, she would pass me within exactly ten seconds.

And that is exactly what happened. Since we had anticipated that the sun cast shadows in my direction, I could see Torch earlier than she could see me. 

I intercepted her using my shield and collided, pushing her to the tree next to her. Of course, that tree was part of the plan as well. Because this tree in particular had a single low-hanging branch, forcing Torch to duck her head!

As she grunted and recovered with her head low, her own Phalanx shield high, I approached her from an angle just above her line of sight. I closed the range and fired two rounds of acid, dealing heavy damage to her shields. She returned fire as she slowly backed off, but I was already behind a tree I had prepared for this exact situation earlier.

“Aaargh! What the hell!”

In fact, this tree had a hole just large enough to fire a sneaky blast through. Torch turned to run, since she thought me prone and too slow to follow her, but I fired the blast of mercy and burned her skin. It was painless, of course, but it ended her and sent thunder echoing through the area.

Immediately after, I heard a ferocious battle cry. Nothing could match the sheer intimidating power of Nick’s fury. Thunder sounded once again as Bardo was eliminated again, killed just seconds after spawning.

“Yellow flag was grabbed.”

“Maneuver six successful. Rendezvous at sector C-3.”

“Got it. This was rather easy. Almost disappointing, don’t you think?” I grinned.

“Perhaps. Well played, Vincent dude. Maneuver six was of your doing after all.”

I smiled as I calmly made my way towards C-3, point A. We had timed it just right- Nick passed me the second I arrived at point A, and he didn’t even have to slow down to receive the victorious high-five.

The fight had lasted less than three minutes, and the combat encounters with the enemy never even reached above ten seconds.

“Yellow flag was captured.”

 

“Unfair! How did you cheat it?! I didn’t even see any of you, I just died!”

Bardo, outraged by the outcome of this battle, pointed his finger at us again. Torch stood next to him with her arms crossed, a disappointed look at the ground. I couldn’t help but look down on them a bit after this insane victory, but I was still intent on making friends whenever possible. Thus, I kept up the most neutral smile I could.

“We didn’t cheat,” Nick answered. His broad shoulders and high length were impressive, standing taller than some adults, but the fact that he was the victor this time was what gave him his aura of superiority. I felt fantastic seeing us this way, but it wouldn’t help in making the pair less angry.

“We planned ahead and anticipated your offense. We had thirteen other plans prepared, including variations depending on the tactic you would utilize in-”

“Nick,” I interrupted. He fell silent and all eyes turned to me. “Sorry. I guess we made a big show about everything, but we were intent to show you what words can do.”

“You won quickly, but we were even faster last time! And we didn’t plan… Thirteen other things. What the hell, how much effort did you put in this?”

“As much effort needed to brew the best coffee,” Nick answered them.

“Huh?”

“Vincent taught me not to waste effort on trivial things, but I think this simulated battle wasn’t trivial at all. I think nothing is trivial as soon as you decide that it’s worth the effort. We wanted to prove a point to you more than you wanted to defend yours, I believe.”

I loved how Nick always connected these things, but I think that the reason they didn’t have a plan as huge as ours was simply because no other second-year would go as far as us. I gave Nick an elbow, reminding him.

“Oh! Excuse me. Also, Torch ga- Torch dude, I wanted to apologize for being so direct with you earlier. I usually ask whatever is on my mind, but I was informed of my wrongdoing.”

“Hmmm.” Torch finally swept her eyes our way. “It’s fine. You can be an all-seeing smartass all you want, but don’t rub it in my face.”

Bardo had his grey eyes set on Nick now, his voice still stern and wary.

“Yeah! I guess you aren’t that popular because of it, huh? Doesn’t it bother you?”

“That is correct. And no, it does not bother me.”

“Heh. You’re one weird guy, alright!”

“See it as a compliment, Nick,” I added. “Now. No hard feelings? Perhaps we can start the school year as friends. You two seemed pretty isolated from the others as well.”

I eyed them both, praying that asking such a thing wasn’t too direct, praying that they didn’t take their defeat too close to heart. Bardo shrugged and was the one to answer me.

“We don’t need anyone. Now that you’re satisfied with your games, we-”

“I’m fine with being friends!”

The little, fiery Torch had other ideas, apparently. I was correct to have my hopes on her. After all, she had the option to be friends open from the start.

“I’m Lenn, but my friends call me Torch, so get with that if you want to get along.”

And so, I extended a hand towards her, all while Bardo looked as if he was backstabbed by his companion.

“See this as our professional way to be friends. Glad to know you, sir Torch.” I said.

“Hey, it’s okay. It’s not like I could hide being a girl for long.”

“Wait, you were actually serious, Torch?! You’re a girl?! Man…” Bardo looked defeated.

The two weren’t as close as I anticipated! The reveal, the drama!

“Just don’t mention it to others, it makes me feel kind of stupid... But in turn, Vincent, I wanna know how you beat us! And next time, we should work together. If you two make stupid large plans like that! Bardo and I can do anything!”

I gave her an almost patronizing smile. I wasn’t impressed by the skill of the pair, but their ambition wasn’t lacking. And I was glad to have someone who acknowledged us as a friend. Already a great improvement over last year.

“If you’ll exchange neural IDs with me, I’ll send you our sketches and plans.”

“Sketches? Wow!”

Meanwhile, Bardo had his face buried in his hands, seemingly taken aback. Nick, who was unsure of what to say, was eagerly making notes on his tablet, where I knew he held a log about his life’s events.

“And what’re you writing, big guy? More plans?” Torch asked.

“I like writing about things I see or experience, so that I may learn from it later,” Nick calmly answered. “The way you were asking Vincent to learn from him. Vincent is rather obsessed with observing, learning and improving.”

“You two are pretty close, huh?” Bardo interjected. By the tone of his voice, it seemed that he had accepted his companion’s decision.

“You could say so,” I answered. “We have one other close friend. She lives in the city to the south!”

“The city?” Torch asked, curious. “I thought everyone who wasn’t a soldier on this planet was poor!”

“Vincent, we-”

“What’re you kids doing?”

Nick was about to alert me of the presence of our wing’s sergeant arriving. I immediately saluted in a cordial attempt to excuse ourselves from being out so late.

“Excuse us, we’ll head to our quarters now!”

“Good. You’d better be familiar with your schedule for tomorrow. I don’t like slackers.”

I continued to be put off by her concealed face and her seemingly soft, happy tone.

“Well. Torch, Bardo, we’ll see you around.”

“Wait, the files!”

“Oh, yes. Nick, you go on ahead.”

Nick nodded, and headed towards our quarters, still typing on his tablet.

“Here, Torch.”

I reached out a hand and put it on her shoulder, and as I closed my eyes, our minds connected. This was the easiest way to exchange neural IDs. The temporary silence ended when she spoke to me in a soft tone.

“You two are real awkward, but you’re not the only ones who notice things about people, you know.”

I perked up to look at her, interested.

“You’re trying real hard to make friends this school year, huh? Your last year must’ve been a disaster. I can imagine why.”

I grinned and watched her fiery amber eyes sparkle, even more so than they did when she beat us during our first session. Unlike her companion, she understood how beating someone worked. Beating someone only worked if it was on a field both parties put effort in.

“Indeed! Well observed, is what I say then. Last year, I like saying we didn’t really try. Now, we’ll make a lot more. Together, preferably.”

Now, she grinned as well, expressing enthusiasm. This day was even better than what I had hoped for.

“You two done? You heard the sarge! We’ll get penalties if we stay up too late, and we’re practicing at the shooting range tomorrow!”

“Yes. Sweet dreams, everyone!”

With that said, I shot my finger guns at the two and went off after Nick. Social interaction made me tired, but I was content with the results. And this was just the first day of many. What adventure did the Academy hold for us?

2