Chapter 17 – Turning the Tide
108 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The atmosphere was eerie as the death dwellers charged at the camp without making any noise. 

They were the people of the forgotten ancient kingdom and were still dressed in their clothes that were now tattered and torn. 

And they carried rusty swords and other weapons. 

They actually looked human, unlike zombies, but their eyes were white without pupils and their skin were completely porcelain white, as were all their hair. 

Bonar smashed the head of a woman whose tattered dress revealed her still supple looking breasts and pierced through the chest of a man wearing what looked like a noble's clothes, albeit all in ruins.

"Be careful not to touch them!" Matthaeus yelled as his sword burst into flames and he attacked. 

Seeing that flame had no affect in stopping them, the Enchantress started shooting magic missiles at the death dwellers. 

Bonar stood next to her, protecting her from all the death dwellers that approached. 

"My,my, how protective of you. Don't worry about me. I can handle myself" the Enchantress laughed. 

  Astalan smashed a death dweller with his large warhammer, smashing it to the ground. 

Then he hit another one whose broken body went flying. 

Suddenly, the horses started neighing.

"No! Release the horses! We can catch up to them after the mission!" Matthaeus yelled 

A horse had already been infected by the death dweller and had infected another 3 more. They were already moving around wildly, and had kicked one of the Burning Fury, turning her into a death dweller!

She started attacking her own team mates who hesitated killing her before Matthaeus stepped in, chopping her in twain instantly. 

As the two halves of her burning body struggled, Matthaeus continued chopping her to more pieces until she stopped moving. 

"Damn it! Anisha deserved better than this" he lamented. 

"We need a better plan!" Voltar yelled as he shot so many death dwellers with arrows, but it didn't stop them at all. His arrows pierced through a death dweller's head, coming out the other side, but it was completely ineffective. 

By now, at least a quarter of their forces were turned into death dwellers, and they were fighting a hopeless battle. 

Bonar looked at his opponent, a young looking teenage maid and immediately decapitated her head with his spear. Looking at her headless body still moving towards him, he dismembered her arms and legs. 

Her limbs and torso continued wriggling around on the ground, and if it touches anyone, they might get turned too. 

"Let me" the Enchantress said as she created a glowing light orb that slowly moved from her hand and landed on the torso of the girl. 

The light grew in the body as it slowly moved and ate up the body, not leaving a single portion, looking like a flame eating up a piece of paper. 

Bonar nudged her dismembered arm to touch the body and the orb continued eating up the arm too. 

Another death dweller approached and he impaled it with his spear and threw it onto the disappearing arm. 

The death dweller stood up again, but the light spread on the standing death dweller's body. 

"What spell is this?" Bonar asked

"It's a disintegration spell. But it is very slow, and very dangerous. Don't let the light touch you as it is more deadly than the death dweller's curse" the Enchantress said. 

Bonar decapitated the death dweller with the light, and hit it's body towards the orb. 

The light spread over their bodies too as it slowly ate up their bodies.

However, as two of them could still walk, they bumped into another two mercenaries, this time from the Strength Metal group.

They both simultaneously turned into death dwellers and disintegrated! 

"Watch out! The disintegration spell is dangerous. Incapacitate them first!" the Enchantress yelled.

The others instantly complied as Matthaeus crouched low, chopping off all the death dweller's legs with his flaming sword.

They continued crawling on the ground but Voltar pinned their bodies to the ground with his arrows.

"Watch out for these as they disintegrate" Enchantress said as she cast multiple disintegration spells.

"How god damn many of these are there?" Astalan yelled, smashing another death dweller to the ground.

Unlike Matthaeus, he smashed the death dwellers, leaving them a quivering pile of meat on the ground as the Enchantress dealt with them.

Bonar followed Matthaeus' tactic and only sliced off their legs with his spear.

Just as the Enchantress walked past and disintegrated another death dweller, a remnant arm suddenly reached out to her and grabbed at her ankle!

Bonar intercepted it and stepped on the arm, stepping on its bicep before it could touch her.

But the arm bent at the elbow and grabbed Bonar's exposed calf!

"Boner! Nooo" the Enchantress screamed as she hesitantly lifted her hand at him.

"I... never.. wanted this to happen" she said as her voice quivered as her hand an it glowed with her disintegration spell.

"Wait!" Bonar said, but the ball of light shot towards him.

Luckily it was a slow moving spell and he managed to move out of its way.

"How...are you not affected?" she asked, her voice sounded like she was crying under her veil.

"I don't... maybe I'm immune" Bonar said.

Unknowingly, the dragon flesh and blood had given him immunity to most spells and curses. A dragon would not be affected by this death dealing curse any more than Bonar would.

By that time, Matthaeus, Astalan and Voltar were looking at him as they fought.

Bonar walked up to another Death Dweller and grabbed the male by the neck, in direct contact with him.

He grabbed Bonar's face, but Bonar was completely uneffected.

"Well, this changes everything" Bonar smiled as he ripped off the dweller's head.

The group stared at Bonar in shock.

He walked forcefully towards the swamp and released his frustration, turning into a tornado of destruction. 

"Wait" the Enchantress rushed after Bonar.

"You... you.... pile up the body parts on the disintegrating bodies. But be careful not to get touched. We S Rankers will follow them" Matthaeus ordered as he chased after the Enchantress with Astalan and Voltar.

Two hours later, Bonar had smashed through most of the death dwellers in their part of the swamp.

The Enchantress stood next to him, having disintegrated the dwellers he smashed.

To his surprise, she wasn't breathing hard. She didn't even seem tired, which was strange for a mage, who were known to be physically weak.

Perhaps her stamina was as inexhaustible as his.

From a distance, they could see an ancient castle in the middle of the swamp.

"Maybe that's the capital of the ancient kingdom" Bonar said

"And where the lich is" the Enchantress said.

Just then, Astalan, Matthaeus and Voltar arrived next to them and looked at the castle in the distance.

"We've lost a third of the forces we came with. But the remainder are still battle ready" an A ranker said as he arrived with the remainder of the group.

"Good. We would probably meet every one of them" Astalan said as they started approaching the castle.

5