Chapter 18 – The Army of the Dead
106 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Now that's just creepy" one of the Burning Fury named Sierra said

100 meters in front of them, all the way to the castle, thousands of skeletons stood still, facing random directions

"So, do we have a plan boss?" a Strength Metal member named Steadius asked

"I think sneaking in is out of the question" Astalan said

"So a front on assault then?" he asked again.

Astalan looked at Matthaeus, Voltar and the Enchantress who all nodded.

"I guess it is an all out attack then. But in formation this time! Tankers up front, Voltar attack from range and Enchantress provide cover and Burning Fury back up the tankers. As for the rest, try to fit in with your individual abilities" Matthaeus said

"Understood. Strength Metal.....CHARGE!" Astalan ordered as the remaining members of his group charged forwards

"Go!" Matthaeus yelled as the Burning Fury members charged just behind the Strength Metal members. 

As they reached around 30 meters from the skeletons, the skeletons all suddenly turned and faced them in the exact same moment. 

The Strength Metal members all smashed into the skeletons with their tower shields, turning them into bone fragments, moving as far as they could go without resistance. 

Most of the mercenaries joined the Burning Fury because the Strength Metal team were so coordinated.

The Burning Fury swept up after them, destroying any skeletons that were still functional. 

It was going very well, and they progressed very far when suddenly, a group of 12 death knights on their nightmares charged out at them in a row of two next to each other, smashing the Strength Metal members away, crushing those in the middle with their hooves.

The horses in the back row started cutting down their prey with their eerie black glowing swords too. 

The group just behind them consisting of Burning Fury and the mercenary members were smashed aside and trampled on too.

Arrows pierced the death knight's eyes, but it was as if they didn't notice them, continuing their charge.

Suddenly, Bonar jumped in front of the front two nightmares, and smashed his wicked looking spear at them.

The impact hitting the horse to the right, smashed it into the left horse, severing the right horse's neck.

The sudden halt forced the other death knights to trample over the front two as Bonar rolled under the horse on the second row. 

He stood up suddenly, while under the horse's stomach, throwing the nightmare with its rider straight up in the air while piercing the death knight next to him in the face with his spear. 

By now, Astalan had hammered the death knight in the third row with his warhammer, while Matthaeus had engaged the death knight next to him. 

The other 8 death knights swerved to the side, to avoid the front 4 death knights who were engaged in fights and started fighting the other mercenaries. 

The death knight that Bonar pierced in the face swung its sword at Bonar, but he ducked and rolled under the horse as the earlier death knight and nightmare that he threw up, came crashing to the ground. 

The nightmare's legs snapped upon impact as the whole undead animal was crushed by the weight of the armored death knight. 

He looked comedic sitting on a carcass that had no legs, and started to dismount it. 

As death knights, they were powerful enemies and were able to fight on even when severely injured. 

Even the front two death knights that were trampled on were  getting up from the ground. Their armors were smashed, and their bodies broken, but they got their swords ready to fight.

Two disintegration orbs landed on the two recovering death knights as the Enchantress joined the battle.

They tried to shake off the light, but it slowly ate their bodies to nothingness.

A death knight charged at her, but she blocked with a shield spell with one hand and blasted it away with her other hand.

Suddenly, from the castle, a huge creature flew into the air, blocking the moon before turning down and swooping down on them.

"It...it...it's a bone dragon!" Sierra screamed

"Watch out!" Steadius yelled, pushing her to the ground

But the bone dragon's claws grabbed him instead and flew back into the air, ripping him to two pieces and throwing his pieces aside.

"Steadius!" Sierra screamed

The bone dragon turned around again and something jumped off its back and levitated slowly to the ground

It was the lich! And he was cackling with pleasure.

"Foolish humans. You want to fight me in my domain?" he laughed as he blasted 3 mercenaries with a black blast.

The two men and one woman screamed as they started ripping their own flesh off their faces, and pulling their scalp off. 

Before long, they were dead, but yet standing as they had become gruesome skeleton warriors, with bits and pieces of flesh and skin still hanging on their skeletons.

Their skulls were completely exposed and covered in blood, but their eyeballs and tongue were still attached, as were presumably their brains.

Their flesh only extended halfway up their necks, exposing their windpipes and the half torn neck muscles, arteries and veins.

The lich blasted a member of Strength Metal as he tried to block with his tower shield, but he started screaming as he too started to rip off his own flesh

The other mercenaries were terrified and some even started fleeing.

"Don't run! Stand firm!" Matthaeus yelled, but only the Burning Fury and Strength Metal members responded.

The unaffiliated mercenaries all fled as skeletons chased after them

Suddenly, a armor clad headless death knight smashed into the lich, knocking him to the ground.

"Who..." the lich got up angrily

"Me" Bonar said, crushing the head of the death knight he threw between his hands, helmet and all before throwing it over his shoulder.

The smashed head landed on another death knight he was fighting earlier. 

That death knight was still struggling to move, but its arms and legs were literally tied into knots, its bones and sinew all mangled and broken. 

5