Chapter 22 – The Search
107 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The search for a Giant Eagle was a difficult one. 

It was rated a S Class mission simply because nobody knew where to find one.

And even if they did, a Giant Eagle was a A Class beast, like a griffin or hydra.

Cloudsoarer was a famous beast, but he didn't know of any other.

Thus, he walked blindly towards the west of Hallmark, in hopes of finding another one.

There was a huge mountain range in that direction, called the Spine of the Titans, filled with mountains so high they were covered by clouds.

Surely, if one was to look for a giant eagle, there would be a good guess.

Several days on his journey, the mountain range looked no closer as they seemed as far as they've ever been. 

He sat in the clearing, barbecuing a lightning bear over a fire. 

He bit down on the heart, which was skewered on a steel skewer, enjoying the taste. 

Among the things Morgan had gifted him as a farewell gift were steel skewers the length of spears, large steel mugs to hold his liquor or in this case blood, and spices to make sure his meat is tasty. 

He sat on a stool, which wasn't really a stool, rather it was parts of Jasmine exiting his ass, providing a seat, while diving deep into the ground to absorb water. 

It not only hydrated her, but as she was conjoined with his blood stream, it hydrated his body too. 

Finishing the heart, he took off another skewer from the fire, eating a large chunk of the bear's rump.

The bearskin was laid on the grass to dry, which he would keep in the storage bag later.

Just then, a group of men riding on horses approached.

Bonar sat calmly eating his meat.

"Well met stranger!" the leader called out

"Hello" Bonar looked up and said

"I was wondering, have you seen a little girl, about 12 years or so, around here? She has been missing and we are looking out for her" he said

"No. I just got here. I am travelling to explore the Spine of the Titans" Bonar said

"Well, Santini is my name, what is yours?" the man asked

"My name is Boner." he replied. He has been called Boner so much that he pronounced it that way now too.

His parent's voices were a far away memory to him. He couldn't even remember what they sounded like.

"Really? Ok then, have a safe trip" Santini sniggered, after hearing his name

"Oh by the way, are there any large birds in the Spine of the Titans?" Bonar asked

"Large bird... maybe you are referring to the mighty one. It lives on the highest peak. But nobody has seen it for many years" Santini said

"Well you have my thanks" Bonar said and waved them off.

--

His journey went on for weeks, and ever so often he would bump into a group on horseback looking for the girl

She must have rich parents, to continue the rescue mission for so long, Bonar thought.

In fact, he counted over 120 men in groups of 7-10 looking for the girl.

After finally asking about the girl, Bonar found out that it was the nobility the Duke of Phoenixia, Duke Essex who was looking for her.

He thought she must be his daughter for him to anxiously search like this.

He shook his head. It was none of his concern anyway.

He continued in his journey, finally arriving at the foot of the mountain range.

It was covered in a sparse forest of pine trees.

Not feeling tired, he started climbing. All he had to do was find the highest mountain.

But how could he tell? All the tall peaks were covered in clouds, which one was the highest?

He sighed. This would take many months indeed, to climb all the mountains.

Never feeling tired, Bonar started walking up hill. At least this portion of the climb was just a hike.

Later on, it seemed like he would have to scale the steep mountains, which would be a pain.

"No! Stop! Don't hurt them!" he suddenly heard a girl's voice crying

He went to have a look and found a group of men on horseback, surrounding a small girl. 

She wore tattered rags and around her were dire wolves! There were two wolves that were at the brink of death, and the others were wounded.

However, the scene was strange and not what Bonar expected.

Instead of attacking, the wolves seemed to be protective of the girl.

And the men, rather than protecting her from the wolves, were pointing their weapons at her.

"Give up Dapthne. Your father wants you back, and he won't take no for an answer" the leader said

"No! He's not my father. He only wants me for my powers" the girl said

"That's not my concern. We are to bring you back, injured or not" the man said

"What are they doing?" Bonar wondered as the man charged, trampling on the injured wolves

"Nooo!" she screamed as the men killed all the wolves.

Their horses surrounded her and they pointed their lances at her.

"Now come quietly" he said, using the side of his lance to hit her leg. 

She screamed in pain as she collapsed to the ground. 

"Hey! What are you doing?" Bonar decided to step in. 

"Oh..you! We've found her, so you no longer need to look out for her" the leader said

"Well, why don't you ask her what she wants?" Bonar said, retrieving his spear from his ring. 

The crying girl looked up at the strange young man who was standing up for her. 

"Lower your weapon, or be killed" the leader said.

But Bonar stood still with his spear pointed at them, his steely eyes unflinching. 

"Don't say I didn't warn you" the leader said as he charged. 

Normally a man on a horse would run over a average man, trampling him to the ground easily. 

But Bonar was different. He swiped his spear and swatted the man and his horse sideways. 

The horse's head was decapitated by the spear and the man fell heavily, breaking multiple bones as the horse's body landed on him. 

"How the... charge!" another man said as the whole group charged at Bonar. 

The girl didn't close her eyes as she watched the strange scene. 

After Bonar swatted the first 3 horse like flies, the other 6 turned around and tried to flee. 

One of them bent down in mid run to try to pick the girl with him, but Bonar's spear pierced through his back, carrying him forwards and pinned his already dead body to the tree. 

The others fled without looking back. 

6