Chapter 0010
2.8k 9 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 0010

Following the advice of the voices, Athena beelined it for the books on arrays and formation.

Array are scrolls inscribed with a mysterious diagram. An Array Master first condense array elements using soul force, then combine the array elements in a pattern. Different patterns serve different purposes. Some patterns are used to heal, others to attack while other scrolls are use as defense.

Arrays differ from charms on a basic level. Where as charms require the Charm Master to channel their associated elemental energy into the ink then imprint it on the paper, an Array Master condense their soul force, arrange the array elements into a pattern then imbue it onto the scroll.

Effectively, the outcome remains the same. Both professions store energy onto a medium to be used at a later date. The only difference is the source of energy. Charms use the energy of the spirits. Arrays use the energy of the soul.

Although both profession have the same result, the method to achieve the result vary greatly.

Charms are written in the language of the elements, therefore Charms Master must learn how to commune with the spirits. Mages naturally communicate with the spirit through their affinities, so most mages are inclined towards the charm profession.

Arrays require soul force and pattern recognition. Without either, an Array Master can not imbue a scroll. The cultivators of the Ethereal Depths focus of cultivating the soul. Most Array Master hail from the Ethereal Depths.

Formations use various materials to attract natural power and channel the power through a pattern to cause a change in the natural energy.

“These are all the same thing!” shout an enraged brat.

The three professions gather energy, be it elemental energy, soul force or natural energy, covert said energy through patterns or rune words then unleash the power at the user convenience.

Angrily, the mad midget grabbed the beginner’s book for arrayscharms and formations and rushed outside to confront the sneaky voices.

Stupid voices, what the hell is this?” Athena threw the books onto the ground. “Charms, arrays and formations are the same thing using a different medium! How can they improve my cultivation?

There were no answers from the voices. Either they resented her for calling them stupid, or they didn’t know the answers to Athena’s questions. Their lack of response enrages the little girl.

Athena wanted to vent her anger at her perceived culpability. She placed her trust in the spirit, and they sent her on a fool’s errand. She felt betrayed. Tears formed at the corner of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall.

gust of wind blew along the little girl’s body, soothing the her ire and expressing the wind’s confusion over Athena’s anger.

Athena sat on the ground. After sorting out her emotionsAthena cautiously spoke her concerns. “The profession you mention looking into achieves the same result although with different methodology. Why did you say they would improve my cultivation?

The runes words use for creating charms are also the foundation for spells mages cast, of which those who have the affinities immortal potential become. Learning the rune words allow you to channel our power in a more direct and efficient manner. Once you learn the runes words, then you can chain the words into a spell.

Arrays are created with soul force. Through the process of creating arrays, the Array Master increase their soul force. All cultivators benefit from a stronger soul.

Formation gives insight to natural energy. Those who cultivate through affinities need formation to help them gather natural energy. The more natural energy available to a cultivator, the faster they can grow.

The little girl began to gain more answer from her talking encyclopedia.

Once she finished the conversation with the voices, Athena began to organize the information given. Mages communicate with their spirits using the language of the spirits, later the language was name Rune. Each word of the language is called runewords. Runewords are the foundations for mages to cast their spells as well as the symbols a Charm Master use to guide the effects of the charm.

For example, when a cultivator use a Lightning Strike charm, the lightning emerge out of the charm paper with the runeword Lightning Strike written on it and attack with a bolt of lightning. In order for a mage to cast Lightning Strike, the mage must write the runeword Lightning Strike with their elemental energy then cast the spell. Both achieve the same effect using the same runeword. Therefore almost all mages become Charm Masters.

Most brilliant mages are also high level Charm Master. Even though charm making is popular profession within the Magus Alliances, there are not many high level Charm Master. The reason why it is hard for Charm Masters to advance beyond the basic is simple. Spirits are a different species.

There is a language, cultural, physiological, and psychological barriers when cultivators communicate with the spirits. In the current modern age back on Earth, humans observe different animals then hypothesize reasons for their behaviors. The cultivators in this world impose their wills on the spirits. They do not seek to understand how the spirits works, what laws the spirit must obey or why things must be done a certain way.

What all cultivators desire is more power. The method of extracting the most power from the affinities is pursued in the Magus Alliances. The reason behind the methodology was never explored. Only the results matter.

With a total disregards for the spirits themselves, how can Charm Master advance?

Most don’t.

The Ethereal Depths call those who cultivate the soul Soul Walkers.

Most of the Array Master originates from the Ethereal Depths because arrays require a powerful soul. Array Masters to Soul Walkers are the same as Charm Masters to Mages. The same problems a Charm Master face, an Array Master faces as well, though this time is source of the problem is the soul.

Most intelligent creatures have a soul. However when asked, “What is a soul? most enlighten being can not give a definitive answer. How can a cultivator build a foundation on a vague, unknown substance? It can be done, and it has been done to base an entire cultivation method on the soul, but the effect of each soul cultivation methodology differ from one person to another.

To this day, no one in the Ethereal Depths can claim their cultivation method is the best.

Since the method varies on the soul, the ability to pass down their legacy also varies. Yet the basis it’s better to have a strong soul is prevalent in the Ethereal Depths. The art of Arrays helps strengthen the soul. Some cultivators can gain insight through making arrays.

Formation channels the lingering energy in the world into a specific pattern where the energy is held in that form by anchors. Cultivators can release the stored energy by manipulating the anchors.

The most common formation is the energy gathering formation. With more energy in the surroundings, cultivators can progress faster.

“Even though each profession use different types of energy and different approaches, they achieve similar results. Is there a common denominator among the three professions? Athena asked the voices.

We do not know. As we are a part of the processwe can not see the bigger picture.

The little girl suddenly gasps in surprise, “On a more important note, what should I call you guys? I can’t refer you as the voices anymore.

If anyone else was with the little girl, they already would have smacked her in the head. Instead of trying to figure out the complex mystery that is energy manipulation, the stupid girl place more importance on the names of the unknown spirits. No one else but Athena place more importance on trivial, thereby losing a chance to gain enlightenment on the mysteries of the universe AND be happy about it.

am the spirit of the windVentus.

The spirit of water is called Mizu.

The spirit of lightning is called Astrapi.

LatinJapanese and Greek. Interesting.

We wish to be closer to you. Athena is Greek. The Romans conquered the Greeks and incorporate their mythology into their belief hence the Roman name.

Athena waited for further explanation. The Greek and Roman names made sense. The Japanese name was a mystery she wanted answers for. After a looooonnnngg pause, Ventus explained. Back on your old world, Aqua was too common. Mizu wanted a ‘cool’ sounding name, but the Greek word for waterNero, didn’t sound ‘cool’ enough. After going through several languages, it settles on Mizu.

ActuallyMizu settled for the Japanese word for water because at the time Athena was in a bad place, she did not have access to many forms of entertainment. Books were the main source of amusement with Manga, Japanese comics, as the primary reading material. One of the nurses like reading it. She brought some of her old books for the patient. Athena became a ‘hikkimori’ for a time. It was then that Mizu decided to take the Japanese name for water. It can be closer to Athena this way.

“Wow. You guys name yourself so easily.

We want our names to reflect who we are in relation to you.

“If you guys can change, then I should too. I am not the original body, Asalia, nor am I the pathetic woman Athena. I will be someone reborn, someone who can be free as the wind, vital as water and dangerous as lightning. I will be the storm. Athena reviews her the words she just spoke.  “That didn’t sound right. No, Storm is a well-known X-Men. Can’t take that. What is the Latin, Japanese and Greek word for storm?

Tempest Arashi Kataigida.

Tempest Arashi Kataigida. Good name. From now on I’ll be Tempest Arashi Kataigida.

61