Chapter 0019
2.1k 0 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 0019

Emery was pissed. She was not angry at either of the overseers, Xing Zhi Hui or Aria Se Jivock. They are here to lead the group to the Sundered Lion and assess their performances. If the group can’t handle a third grade beast, then it’s a waste of resources trying to groom them.

 

Why isn’t anyone jumping in to help her with the Silent Panther? The three black hair mercenaries were standing off to the side watching the fight with interest, while the princess appeared as if she was in a frighten dazed while the new comer, Tempest, looked on with speculation and an ever so paled face.

 

Alright, so she was on her own. Everyone is useless as always. With increasing rage, Emery fought with the Silent Panther. She knew she can kill the Silent Panther, however, she might be wounded in the process.

 

It might not be so bad to be wounded early in the process. The leather clad woman can use it as an excuse to return. Previously, she would have fought to showcase her sword skills, trying to earn a spot in the Brilliant Yin Sect, however, Aria’s rampant introduction earlier pointed Emery in another the direction, the Weapon and Mind Academy of the Mysterious Wasteland.

 

Emery was able to gather bits and pieces of information about the Mysterious Wasteland during her travels. Emery saved the leader of the trade caravan she was protecting at the time, Base Avon-Ying. Afterwards, they became friendly, so whenever he wasn’t busy, he searches for Emery to talk. The whimsical man had a charm about him that put Emery at ease. The leather clad mercenary knew he had kind intentions though he was very vague with his behavior.

 

Thanks to Base’s incessant rambling, Emery had a general understanding of the Mysterious Wasteland. The Mysterious Wasteland work similar to a clan society of the Heavenly Mountains, but they do not follow the patriarchal lineage or preferences prevalent in the Heavenly Mountains. Instead they focus on interpersonal interaction as well as business acumen.

 

There were four main academies and four minor academies. Base took one look at her and urge to her go with him to the Weapon and Mind Academy. He even offered to sponsor her with no strings attached, which was unheard of coming from a merchant from the Mysterious Wasteland who practically worship at the altar of money.

 

For Emery, it was a possible place to train should she fail in joining the Brilliant Yin Sect.

 

Tempest wanted to say she took to watching the fight like a basketball announcer at the finals, all critique with a play by play commentary running through her head. Her knowledge of this world is sadly lacking.

 

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on one’s point of view, others are willing to explain the situation. Not really. In an a female mercenary band, which women doesn’t like to gossip? Tempest but that is because she doesn’t know anything yet and because the spirits do all the talking and Tempest has to listen or else she gets auditory hallucination added to her file.

 

“Emery’s foundation is pretty solid. She backed strikes, thrusts and cleave abilities with extra strength allowing the attack to do maximum damage. No doubt she has practices each skill set a thousand times over.”

 

“Anyone can gain a good solid foundation repeating the fundamentals. Footwork, on the other hand, requires strong legs, endurance and the ability to think on their feet. Did you see after she strikes she did, she back immediately to gain room for her cleave attack? That move can’t be learned by just repetition.”

 

“I recognized her movement technique. It is the low-level skill Metered Step.”

 

“Her thrust attack is the low-level skill Maximum Thrust.”

 

Tempest heard all the commentary but she didn’t understand the ranking or the meaning behind their conversation so she poked the green hair blue eyes girl next to her for information. “What is the deal with low-level skill and movement technique and all that?”

 

Bright blue eyes as clear as the skies on a sunny day stared at Tempest with confusion. The gossip mongers were speaking using the everyday terminology of the Cardinal Realm. Everyone not living under a rock should know what the audiences are speaking about.

 

Seeing it was the newcomer who probably spent her entire life in a daze, the green hair girl explained, “Skills are separated into categories of their own starting from low, mid, high, mortal, earthly, and heavenly.  Low-level skills are common as water in the ocean. Go to any major city and there is always a low-level skill up for sale whereas heavenly skills are as rare as, umm well, they are so rare that within the last 1000 years no one have ever executed as heavenly level skill that I’ve known about.”

 

Tempest looked at the girl with disbelief, “Are you sure it isn’t because you haven’t heard about anyone using the heavenly level skill that cause its rarity and not the scarcity of the technique?”

 

How dare this little idiot question her knowledge when she was the one asking about skills. Still, the green hair girl didn’t want to aggravate a cultivator who has relation to Aria Se Jivock so held her temper and continued her explanation, “Heavenly skill are rare although the big sect in the Heavenly Mountains has some and the skills are no doubt pass from master to disciple, however, the requirement to execute the skills are so high, no one has been able to learn it. Only those old monsters thousands of years old can perform the skill. I’m told it takes a special form of enlightenment to understand heavenly skills.” The last sentence was spoken with patronizing air.

 

“Then Emery’s skill level?”

 

“Depends. If she had the resources of say Jean over there, then her skills are lackluster at best, but for a grass root cultivator with no background, she pretty good. She chooses complementary skill sets that can be adapted to the situation and will not interfere with any other skills she might learn in the future.”

 

Tempest nodded her head but she sort of understand why Aria said Emery is a poser. Emery learned a good number of skills along her with above average great sword. She can kill the Silent Panther within seven moves.

 

16 moves. She’s holding her sword at an awkward angle, as if she her left hand isn’t her dominate hand.

 

Okay, 16 moves. Tempest will defer to the higher judgement since she a newbie. In 16 moves, Emery should have killed the Silent Panther already instead of dragging it out to 35 moves.

 

What else is she doing if not trying to look good?

 

And that great sword. She’s carrying around that big thing to tell everyone around her she is a big bad mercenary, don’t mess with her. Isn’t overkill?

 

The newly crowned red mage didn’t realize she was trying to distance herself from the reality of this world with her internal criticism and even if she did realize what she was doing, she’d still continue to do it.

 

A certain distance from reality is needed for Tempest’s peace of mind.

 

Tempest was a city girl living in the not so good part of town. It wasn’t the slum or a ghetto exactly but it wasn’t suburban America by a long shot.

 

City girls like her never saw violence up close and personal. When face with a kill or be killed scenario in the Cardinal Realm, Tempest hesitated.

 

Tempest knew they were here to hunt down the Sundered Lion. She knew she had to kill. However, when she came face to face with realities, she didn’t want to strike the killing blow.

 

The Silent Panther might only be a level 2 magical beast, but it was a panther, and a beautiful one at that, all sleek lines and sinewy muscles covered with a glossy black fur. She might have previously likened it to a mangy feral cat, but hey a girl got to have a coping mechanism when coming face to face with a man killing machine posing as a low-level magical beast.

 

Tempest remember one time the school organized a field trip to the zoo and she was able to see a panther lazing around in its cage. Despite its content appearance, Tempest knew the once majestic beast was reduced a zoo exhibit for curious children. The panther’s instinct was suppressed to the degree of a tame tabby.

 

At the time, Tempest felt the curiosity of a child towards the beautiful creature. A long time later, when she was admitted to the long-term hospital for the mentally ins… ahem when she was admitted to the hospital, she looks back at her trip to the zoo and sympathizes with the panther while feeling depressed at her own situation. She, too, was locked up like an animal in a cage for the amusement of the doctors and nurses at the facility.

 

Back then, she longed to be free.

 

Screams broke Tempest reverie.

 

“Watch out! The Silent Panther is trying to run.”

 

The Silent Panther might only be a level 2 beast, but it had excellent survival instinct. It knew after it had failed in its initial attack, the group of easy prey was stronger than it looked. It might have attempted to run, but the prey didn’t group up to attack it. Only the leather clad woman with caramel skin fought against it.

 

After a few clashes against the woman, the Silent Panther knew can kill the woman but it had to pay a high price for the victory. The girl companion might take exception to her death and attack it. Humans were strange creatures that way.

 

So it decided to wait for an opportunity to break out of the encirclement. When there was an opening, the Silent Panther rushed towards one of the whining mercenaries, batting the girl away with its paws and fleeing the scene.

43