Chapter 2: Tier
266 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Tier

I was lying on a very luxurious bed with light brown colors. With a space that can easily accommodate five to six people, I laid at the very center feeling bored out of my mind. My injuries are superficial and can be healed in a few days, a few hours if I have magic. But...

I glared resentfully at the handsome middle-aged demon talking to the other servants in front of the door. I'm sure that he's doing this on purpose to slow down my recovery.

Watching him from this point of view, you would never have thought that this seemingly ordinary and harmless man has the power to destroy this world if he wishes it. After all, he's a demon.

I think he calls himself the demon lord but whatever...

Speaking of which, I already told you that I can only summon 'mystical creatures' to this world for a short time. I can't summon creatures based on my imagination but rather creatures from another world with a setting similar to the one in books.

Usually, their species and the amount of mana required to make them stay correlates to the amount of time they can remain in this world. But I think there are exceptions to this rule, like this guy. I really wonder how a guy like him, who requires an enormous amount of mana every day, can stay in this mana-limited world.

Come to think of it, isn't the amount of mana around him getting more and more plentiful? Seriously, just where does all that mana go. It looks like a vacuum..no, a black hole sucking everything in sight.

As I was thinking useless thoughts, I reminisced about the past.

Tier. I summoned him through a wish when I was a kid and he just stayed. I didn't even know I was a magician myself until he came and taught me how to control my magic.

Honestly, I was impressed with the young me. If someone appeared with horns curved and sharpened like a murder weapon, nails so long and sharp, and with eyes as red as blood, any sane person would run away. He's even letting out a murderous aura.

Not that I noticed it.

But above all that, I was really mesmerized by his amazing red eyes. At that time, I only know that ruby is colored red and felt that he was meant to be mine. Sort of like a toy since my name and his eyes match.

I vaguely remembered that I thought he was cool and named him after the demon king in that famous cartoon character. I was probably thinking, 'this is what a demon should look like.' He's probably the reason why I have a weird taste in fashion.

Come to think of it, even though Mama disapproved of me wearing such weird clothing since it would affect my social life, Tier would just snort and say, "If they can't accept her for who she is, they're not worthy."

I was really mad that he didn't stop me from my weird hobbies that even until today, I didn't have that many friends.

While grumbling to myself, I watched Tier finish his talk with the servants and walk towards me. I was somewhat disappointed since I couldn't see his beautiful ruby red eyes anymore because of his disguise.

I looked at him thoughtfully. Usually, when I summon something, they immediately vanish after time is up. But for him to stay... I still can't figure it out--hmm, well that's a problem for another time.

Tier sighed. [Haven't I already told you? A lady shouldn't climb on trees.] He sighed again. [What am I going to do with you?] And sighed again.

I never noticed but....why is it that whenever he's talking to me there are always sighs mixed in? Is it a habit? That's bad for your health you know.

I just laughed it off, not minding my injuries a bit. [It's just a scratch. Nothing to worry about.] I've had worse, I thought to myself.

Tier flicked his finger on my forehead. That hurts. Seriously, you're part of a stupidly powerful race, why can't you show restraint to a young and fragile girl like me. Holding my forehead, I pouted at him in resentment. He glared back.

[This time, I'm really not letting you out of my sight!]

[Eh?! Oi oi, give me a break.]

Tier, after summoning him to this world, had adapted quickly to our customs. Since then, he became my personal butler. Or nanny as the others called him. Not that she'd ever say that out loud.

Hmph, don't think that I don't know you're called a nanny by the other servants.

Thinking gleefully, Ruby didn't realize that the others are also mocking her for having a nanny even at this age.

Oh right, you might have noticed it earlier. I'm what you would call a rich person. Well, since my parents died, I inherited all their riches. Good thing I don't have any mean relatives, eh. So I own this huge mansion.

There are things like managing my finances and the family business as well as some politics but I'm not good at those. That's why I let Tier and my other subordinates handle those things and I just sign some papers.

Haha, what a nice life.

But honestly, I can't do anything without Tier. That's why I'm grateful to him. He's a good company.

And a good parent, I whispered in my heart. Not that I'd ever admitted it out loud.

Suddenly, a woman's voice sounded out: [Oh! So this is where you are.]

Aunt Veda. She's my mother's step-sister. She's been with me ever since I was a child. She's kinda creepy that's why I usually avoid her.

Watching a very thin lady with old-fashioned spectacles walking towards me in her high-heeled shoes, I involuntary shrink in my bed. As she got closer, her prominent nose, high eyebrows, and hair neatly tied in a bun gave her a strict impression. Particularly her very fierce standard expression, like the one right now.

Aunt Veda stopped at my bedside and gasped: [What happened to you?!]

I laughed carefreely: [I just happen to fell down the tree.]

Aunt Veda widened her eyes and shouted, her voice sounding like the high-pitched sound of a bird: [What?! You! You shouldn't let her climb in trees. She could've broken her neck or worse.]

If birds could talk, it would probably sound like her.

Tier gentlemanly owned up to it and even added a rebuke of his own: [Yes. That's what I've been telling her.]

Aunt Veda: [Good thing that it's only a minor injury. Next time, if something worse happens, it's gonna be on you.] She threatened Tier but I really want to laugh.

If she knew Tier is a demon, how would she react?

Tier glared at me as if reading my thoughts. I further shrunk in my bed and hurriedly erased all funny thoughts, trying to make a serious expression.

[Yes, understood.]

After a few more reprimands, Aunt Veda looked me over once more and left. I sighed and lost the 'serious expression' that I had.

I waited until she walked out the door before complaining: [That old lady is scary. She overreacts to everything I do.] I stick out my tongue at the closed door.

Tier just glanced at me: [I agree with her. She's just worried about you. Don't do dangerous things that'll cause you some injuries alright?]

I pouted in displeasure, turning my head to the side.

Tier sighed: [I also worry about you.] He pats my head. [If you don't behave, I won't give you any cake for a week.]

I immediately reacted to that threat. In disbelief, I shouted out: [Eeh!! No, don't!]

Tier laughed at me while I'm still glaring.

At that time, little did I know that that would be the last time I can see his smiling face.

7