Chapter 3.5: The Naming
196 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was night time.

A certain child was woken up by something. Feeling thirsty, the child reached over her very big bed and towards the nightstand. With great difficulty, she reached over her water bottle and had a drink.

Due to carelessness, the bottle fell on the floor. Displeased, the child painstakingly went down her bed. With arms hanging on the edge and her toes barely reaching the floor, she lightly hopped down and plopped on her butt.

Having had so much activity, she crawled on the ground and happily sucked on her water bottle when she found it.

The child burped and threw the bottle away. Like a drunk, she played and rolled in the room until she was sober. Or in this case, became bored with playing alone.

Unlike any other child, this one is special. She didn't cry out like other children would do. In fact, she was very sensible and knew not to disturb others, especially when it's dark outside. The child even treated herself as a grownup that can take care of herself.

She looked at the water bottle and smiled smugly at her accomplishment. She knew what to do when she gets thirsty.

She looked at her towering bed and frowned. She did not want to climb and she didn't feel sleepy either. She stretched her short limbs and just barely reached the top of her bed. As if proving something, she put her hands down and nodded in satisfaction.

It was as if the child was thinking, "If I can't get back on the bed, then I don't have to sleep yet."

Having that thought, she looked around her room. Her curious and innocent eyes instantly looked at the open door of her room.

It was slightly ajar and it took some effort for her to move it aside, enough to fit her in. She crawled and happily had an adventure in the hallway. It was big and dark but the child didn't seem to care.

Alas, the child saw a slightly open door with light spilling out of it. She then carefully approached it, as if afraid that the light would disappear. She peeked inside and saw a beautiful angel.

It was the child's mother. The child approached the woman, not caring about the heavy mood permeating the room.

The woman noticed some movement. She turned around with her fiery red hair blazing at her movement. The woman was stunned for a moment but lifted the child up when she saw her impatiently holding up her arms, clearly wanting to be held.

The woman smiled helplessly.

"You mischievous child. Why are you up?" The woman then pinched the child's nose as punishment.

The child furrowed her brows, wildly moving her little fists in retaliation. The child accidentally grazed the woman's face and felt something wet. Blinking, the child looked and saw that her mama's eye are also wet.

"Mama..this?" Holding the wet water that came from her mother, the child curiously asked.

"Just tears, honey." The woman then held the child's hand and kissed it.

Tears? Not understanding the new word, she wiped the water leaking out of her mother's eyes with her hands. However, no matter how much she wipes it, the water keeps leaking. Frustrated and annoyed, the child also began to cry.

The woman sniffed and tried to stop crying. She laughed at her child's antics and tried to coax the child. She somehow managed to subdue it before a full-blown tantrum and finally made the child go to sleep. The effort made her tired and somehow, forgot about her sadness. At least until the next morning where the cycle would repeat itself.

The woman tucked the child in bed and lied beside her. She kissed the child's nose and whispered: "Goodnight my little Ruby. Sweet dreams."

The woman held the child until exhaustion pulled her into sleep.

*****

In that room a few hours later, a certain mischievous child woke up again.

She struggled through her restraints and rolled down the bed, using the same standing-push-up method to get down.

She had an adventure inside the room and saw some scattered papers and pen on the floor. Thinking of drawing a picture for her mother, she played with it.

As she was scribbling, she suddenly heard sobs and labored breathing. Feeling alarmed, she looked up and saw her mother curled up on the bed.

Feeling sad too, the child wished that her mother would not to be sad anymore. The moment she thought of it, the child seems to be tired all of a sudden as she slumped on the floor. Feeling dazed, it was as if she saw something like a hole in the center of the room.

Suddenly, a bright light filled the room, making the child instinctively close her eyes.

When everything cleared out, the child saw a very big person. Everything around him is dark and mournful. The feeling made the sensitive child think of her mama's own mood.

She felt somewhat sad for the person in front of her. When the big person looked at her, she could only see his red shiny eyes. It was misty and then a familiar water leaked out of his eyes.

One drop. Two drops.

"Tier." The child pointed at the big person while calling out her newly discovered word. Due to her childish nature, the word was distorted slightly.

"Who?" The big person looked at the child bewilderingly.

"Tier, Tier." The child insisted while still pointing at him. It was as if the child was bragging about knowing a new word.

Suddenly, a bright light shone, making the child close her eyes again. Still, with her eyes closed, a warm feeling engulfed the child before disappearing. The tired feeling that she had a while ago was suddenly gone. The big person was clearly surprised when the child opened her eyes.

Feeling that the child accomplished her goal of stunning the big person with her new word, she had a self-satisfied smile on her face.

"You..how did-"

"Mnn..huh? Ruby?" They were interrupted by a woman's voice.

Hearing that voice, the child brightened up and ran up to the bedside.

The big person had a different reaction and suddenly became alert. But upon seeing the woman's face, he froze.

The child, on the other hand, smiled brightly at her mother. As if bragging about her accomplishment, she pointed at the man. "Mama. Tier, Tier."

The woman also froze at seeing a stranger dressed in a very scary way.... in her room...and in the middle of the night.

It became a long night.

To be continued.....

7