Chapter 4: Earthquake
168 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruby: [Alright! Here we go.]

One summer, I was doing what I have always been doing, pranking other people. But I'm still not satisfied.

Even though it's been months since Tier was gone, little by little, I began to go back to my normal self. 

At the first morning when I woke up and felt refreshed, I forgot about my troubles for a moment, as if Tier isn't gone. But that quickly ended when I glanced at my bedside and saw the tearstained, crumpled but still existing letter. I panicked because that means that I've forgotten about Tier. That I've momentarily forgotten that he existed. 

Aunt Veda brought psychologists to me. But somehow, I found their existence insulting. As if they were trying to deny that Tier existed. It was like they were saying that Tier had died and that I was suffering from abandonment issues. 

But I knew that Tier didn't die, he just went back to his world. And he didn't abandon me, he was forced by this limited-mana-capacity world to go back.

Also, I don't want to forget about Tier. His delicious heavenly cakes. (I don't even know how he'd known how to make a cake.) His smiles, the regular ones, and the demonic ones. His strict teaching mode and his caring father mode.

I really, really want to call him 'Father' at least once.

But now...I can't anymore.

There were other times when I would imagine what would life be like if I hadn't summoned Tier. Would I still be a carefree lady that I am today? Or would I suffer from inheritance issues and become a cold, calculating person like one of my classmates? Or would I become some poor beggar on the street after being thrown out because of bankruptcy?

I know myself well. I'm bad at things that I don't like and that involves politics and business. If Tier wasn't here, I would probably be rotting six feet under after a mysterious accident.

Eventually, I came out of my depression. Because I knew Tier wouldn't forgive me if I let myself rot in my room. It took a long time, but I finally found a balance in my mind.

Maybe if I meet Tier someday, I can tell him all the things that I've done with a happy smile on my face.

It became my mantra every time I got up. That's why I tried to find something else to do. There's also a quiet whisper that echoes in my mind.

And I'll call him Father.

I regularly go to school too. (Blame that demon bastard for threatening me with cake withdrawal if I miss any of my classes!) Even though I haven't tasted Tier's cakes for a while now, I still go out of habit.

But I'm bored.

I wish something exciting would happen.

And suddenly, something really did happen.

***

A big earthquake shook the ground so violently that it was unnatural. It was as if I can hear the world screaming. And I can feel the magic in the air has never been more chaotic. It was literally ripping the very fabric of this world.

Is someone using magic? But this big...

Of course, I know I'm not the only one who have supernatural abilities. There are also others like me. I met some of them but I totally didn't care. We recognize each other, of course. But every time, Tier would always be with me and they'd become all wary and scared.

I really don't know why so I assumed that no one in this world has better magic than Tier. (Of course, as his student, I'm number two.) But then, this happened.

A really big earthquake hit where I was standing. No, the earthquakes are happening everywhere. It was so fierce that some buildings immediately collapsed. And the others are not far off either.

It was a good thing that I can fly.

Of course, I'm not so callous that I'll leave the others to die.

Initially, I used my magic powers recklessly and saved as many people as I could. But I knew I couldn't save all of them.

Although I can use magic, don't forget that mana is limited in this world. And some guy is using a very large amount of mana to cause this earthquake.

Even if I exhaust all the magic power inside me, I'll eventually run out. And once I run out, I'll also become a casualty and won't even be able to go home.

I know it's selfish of me, but I stopped rescuing the people that I know I can save with a little bit of magic. I closed my ears to the screams of panic and fear around me and mindlessly flew towards my destination.

And to my horror, my mana seems to be depleted much faster than usual. That's when I realized that something or someone is sucking out the mana from inside my body. And the more I use magic, the more it'll be sucked out.

People saw me openly using my magic, but in their dangerous situation, they didn't even care. Some cried out for help. Some cursed and threw things at me. Some even tried to grab me, hoping that they'll be safe.

I used my limited amount of mana to fly as high as I could and go as fast as I could.

Although I'm not a Saint, it also pained me to face other people's hope, resentment, fear, and anger. I saw people being crushed by a falling building. I saw people trapped in a building. I saw people getting crushed in a stampede. I saw many cars piling up. 

There were fires everywhere and the noise was overwhelming. Cracks also began to open on the ground, as if demons are trying to pull the people to hell.

It was only a few minutes after the earthquake started, but what I'm seeing is hell.

God! I know I wanted something interesting to happen, but do you have to go so far!

6