Chapter 11: Azure
132 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The gate has been fully opened, and the demon Greed had already entered the other realm. All that's left is the two that remained locked in chains.

??: I...wish to be granted a name.

Ruby: Huh?!

??: I wasn't from this world either. I came from that side

He said that while pointing at the gate.

Ruby: So...you're with that guy.

??: Yes. I just came along with him by accident.

Ruby: Then, why are you still here? Aren't you going to follow him?

??: Our interest doesn't align anymore since he betrayed me. And a nameless like me would have no room in that world. It's useless even if I went back

Ruby: So that's how it is? Then let me go. That demon's not here, so there's no reason for these chains now.

??: I can't.

Ruby: Haa?! Why?!

??: I don't have the key

Ruby: Of course you don't! Haa~ Haha...no good, this guy's useless. At least find me something to break this.

??: I also can't.

Ruby: What?!

??: 'cause there's nothing here.

Ah...right, there's literally nothing here. We're also in danger from the space vortex, and yet here we are, having a leisurely and meaningless conversation like this. I laughed hysterically at that. It's a good thing he's staying quiet since one more word from that guy, and I'd punch him in the face.

I think I'm starting to go insane. Black spots appeared in front of me until I learned how to breathe again.

Aah...is this the end?!

I looked at that blue-eyed guy. He looked like an abandoned puppy. Although he had that expressionless face, an aura of melancholy surrounded him. I know since I've been there before.

A name huh? Why not just name yourself? I idly wandered as I looked at his eyes.

Ruby: Azure.

I just blurted that out with no thought put to it. I didn't even know why I did it. The name just felt right to me.

??: Huh?

Ruby: Yup. Your name will be Azure, like your blue eyes.

??: !!

I think he was surprised, but I can't clearly see his face, so I don't know. Uneasy by his silence, I asked him. Maybe he doesn't like it?

Ruby: What's wrong?

He took off hood covering his face. Then I saw his true form. He had horns like a demon and ears similar to a dog. He also had black hair that became reddish under the lights...and of course, his characteristic glowing blue eyes. He's quite handsome when he smiled.

Wow. I think I'm blushing. Also, why is it that I always notice his eyes?

Azure: I accept thy name.

With one hand, he simply broke the chains surrounding my wrists.

What.the.hell...you could've just done that in the first place!

As I was lit up by anger, he kneeled on one knee, took my hand and kissed it like what prince charming did in fairytales. In that instant, a nuclear bomb happened in my head. That anger was instantly snuffed out, like a candle that surrendered to the wind.

Ruby: W-w-what are you doing so suddenly!!

Confused about what just happened, I suddenly felt drained. Teetering on the brink of unconsciousness, I felt a hand around my waist. Somehow, this feeling is very familiar. An indulging warmth always accompanied this feeling, so I instinctively snuggled up to that warm connection. 

That connection was warm, yet my body felt really cold. How...peculiar...

Then everything went black.

***

Deep inside a forest where living beings were teeming with life, a gate suddenly appeared. As if time stopped, all creatures within a set distance stopped moving before withering or dying. After a moment, a being set foot to the land and roared with laughter.

Greed: Kuhahahaha!! I'm here! I'm finally back!

He laughed like a madman before stopping. Bright red drops of blood fell on the ground as he bent in half, but still, he continued madly laughing.

He smiled and muttered incoherently: [...won't let you...I'll take...her...wings back]

As if injected by something, his whole aura changed. He became calm like he's a completely different person. As if the madness from before is just an illusion.

As he stepped outside the range of the gate, the withered grass slowly stood up and gradually blackened while emitting black miasma. The dead trees twitched, becoming even more dried up as it shed its remaining leaves and contorted into sinister forms. The animals that died twitched, a red color tainting their eyes as their predatory features became more prominent and they stirred back to life.

It's as if the area where he stepped in became filled with madness. 

Behind him, the gate slowly closed and with a bang, it slammed shut. And as it disappeared, a low demonic laugh sounded out, filled with madness and joy, and no one in this world heard it, not even Greed.

***

I opened my eyes, and the first thought I had was that I have to stop fainting one of these days. Orienting myself, I dazedly looked at the unfamiliar scenery as I stretched out my hands. When I reached out beside me, I felt something fluffy.

Huh? This felt quite nice, like my favorite blanket. I continued touching it, enjoying the feeling until I heard a low voice beside my ear.

Azure: Awake?

A familiar voice.

I followed that voice and was temporarily blinded by the fire, so I closed my eyes. After adjusting, I saw a strange creature, but I felt no fear.

An enormous wolf, the size of a car with horns and glowing blue eyes, appeared beside me. They're just like Azure's eyes.

4