Excerpts from “The Adventurers Guild Guide to Skills and Monsters” – Arak Snakes, Rosebug, Scope
2.7k 5 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arak snakes - One of Arak jungle characteristics is its unusually high number of snakes. Not only are they numerous, they are a known peculiarity among the biologists of the Southern Continent for their prosocial behavior. Different species tend to avoid fighting between each other, which led to many speculating they all share a common ancestor. 

While most of them follow the usual beast evolutionary path, of pure increase in physical strength, the above average mana quantities, as well as their sheer number, led to many far more dangerous variants appearing. Special caution should be paid to any shaded areas, as many of them have abilities allowing them to hide inside the shadows. 

Arak Blue Snake - One of many arak jungle snake species. They are characterised by azure blue scales, with white dots around their eyes, representing the number of molts they went through. Young snakelings are small, about the length of a dagger, but with every molt they grow exponentially. Biggest specimens (usually granted epithet “Greater” or “Ancient” by Ir) have reached height of meter, and length of dozens of meters. As they are usually ambush predators, increased size implies hiding skills powerful enough to not inhibit them from hunting. Be wary of their paralysing venom, and strong bite, as well as tendency to dig traps around drinking water sources.

Rosebug - A common plantbug, bugflower of the Runningrose. When Runningrose reaches maturity, it grows hundreds of rosebugs,  which then leave at the same time, in search of the best place to grow. Their brown legs are adorned with thorns, which can deal a painful, though not dangerous kick. On their back grows the eponymous rose, an interesting looking mix of plant and chitin.  While some find the idea of eating them appealing, in some places they are treated as a delicacy. Their similarity to normal flowers led to numerous high-society incidents, and as such, there is an always ongoing request to exterminate any bugs within city walls.

Scope - A near universal skill, giving access to some of the knowledge shared to mortals by Ir, the All-Seeing. It helps the user to understand the knowledge they have gathered, as well as establishes a standard measure of strength. Nearly all information displayed, has to be gathered by its holder. While it’s a skill in itself, it’s also a test, by Ir, to recognize lower beings, which share his thirst for knowledge, and ability to assimilate it. Those that succeed in raising skill level, depending on their achievements, might be rewarded with one of the higher versions of the skill, which might provide knowledge beyond that of users' senses.

 

Hmm I will have to think If I should use “real” measurements or fantasy ones. Yeah, finding a fancy name for a meter is great, but it makes it harder to picture in your head. Maybe something like “Hume”, defined as 1 humans length would work? 

70