Chapter 21 – Welcome to your first day as a survivalist, young noble
643 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some of Brogheim’s trees were great and old, towering far above Rhonda. Others were saplings that were shorter than her. While her memories of her character’s background were expanding, she still had no idea of what sort of fauna or enemy she would face here. The size of the forest suggested she could fight big monsters—things her size like Garmr.

Thanks to her poor tact in correspondence with the King Butterfly, she had reasons to suspect she was under-leveled, too. Just like she was during her trials within the manor. Still, Rhonda believed she might pull through anyway if she could make use of the new items she had.

Rhonda reached behind her. Under her pelt and against the small of her back was her enchanted knife. She stroked the handle as she considered how to best apply it against whatever prey she could find.

She unsheathed it as she continued her trek down a lost road. The path had once connected her parents’ estate to other villages in Brogheim Southern Hills. It might be safe to assume those other villages were in disarray, just like her home village.

Her hands manipulated the knife while she walked and searched for reachable food. Birds fluttered and tweeted far above in the meanwhile. Little hares darted away and far out of reach. Everything she stumbled upon moved too quickly and was too small.

Frustrated, Rhonda veered off the more useable path and entered the forest grounds. Her movements were loud and forceful, snapping and crushing little shrubs and rotten logs under step. The loamy forest floor crinkled and squished as she left deep bootprints behind her.

The new direction was certainly effective. More game bolted out into view, but they were still too quick for the giantess to grab reactively. Her hunger hurt her for her continued failings, and upon one painful peak, Rhonda nearly collapsed.

“I’m… I’m not suited for this,” Rhonda said, losing heart.

My queen, called the other half.

“Londa!” Rhonda perked up cheerfully before transitioning into a more composed and dignified attitude. “Londa, my loyal, submissive pet. You’ve been gone for far too long.”

Sowwiiiiee, I was busy with, uh, memory stuff, my dominant goddess.

“Do you wish to… ugh.” Rhonda clenched her jaw and held her stomach.

Let’s focus on you, mistress. Look slightly to your left. I noticed it for you and figured you might want to Identify it.

“It’s a bunch of large mushrooms,” Rhonda said based on normal observation. Then she Identified it and saw that they were Expanding Mushrooms.

 

Expanding Mushrooms: A local Brogheim fungi that soak up stomach acids and expand within the consumer’s stomach. Smaller creatures will certainly die, while large and huge creatures will find it momentarily filling. It’s a material used for spellcraft, too.

 

“Did you know this already?” Rhonda asked.

I was identifying things as you looked around, Londa informed. Again, I’m way sorry if I’ve been silent for too long. I’m getting into this habit of being focused for you, Big R. And I’m learning to focus my entire being on one or two of your senses at a time, too.

“You… you can do a lot on your own, can’t you?” Rhonda knew this already, but it was still mystifying in practice.

Londa had control over her stats distribution and could pay attention to Rhonda’s senses even when the giantess herself was distracted. When Rhonda took a moment to ponder Londa’s capabilities, the System’s foolish claim that their shared existence was an illness grew more unsavory and baseless.

Still figuring out my reach, y’know? But we can talk more about that later, or we can go over your gear’s abilities after you eat⁠—

Rhonda ripped up the mushrooms and wolfed them down before Londa could finish. Within a few seconds, Rhonda felt a pleasant sensation filling her stomach. It lasted just as long as it took to happen, then her all-consuming hunger returned to hurt her.

Okay, dokie. That, like, barely put a dent in you.

“I need more food.” Rhonda bit the edge of her lip. “Or water. Water helped the last time.”

I’m no hunter, but I think getting near water might kill two birds with one stone.

“You’re outstanding, my dear!” Rhonda shouted. “Why haven’t I thought about throwing stones at the birds?” She started searching for stones.

Hahahahah! Okay. That’s way cute. Thanks for the compliment. I’m taking it to my grave. But first, let’s go to the river. We’ll probably find stones easier there and something to chuck them at.

“I’m starting to wonder who's the smarter of us two,” Rhonda said.

Babe, I know it’s hard for you to think on an empty stomach. I got you, okay?

With that said, the two decided to head toward a river they had seen from the top of the manor’s hill. Londa had a good sense of directions even though they had no idea which way was north yet. So much had changed since the character’s background story.

Each time Rhonda searched for a real piece of valuable nugget, it slipped from her grasp. It was frustrating to have memories of past interactions and nothing useful for survival’s sake. It was almost as frustrating to tread through bushes where little animals darted away before she could snatch them.

Rhonda, stop.

The giantess froze, surveying the area around her quickly. Nothing seemed to have changed other than the sunlight’s hue. The light filtering down through the treetops had changed from misty white to dark amber. The day was ending, and Rhonda barely had anything to show for it.

Mistress, look ahead of you. I’m going to push our perceptions to the absolute limit of what we’ve got.

Rhonda stared hard into the shrubs, thorny bushes, and fallen logs ahead. She watched leaves twirl down after a gust passed. She inhaled deep drafts of the woods, hoping to sniff out potential prey. The more she focused, the more she felt she could extend her senses somehow. Go beyond what she had reasonably felt was comfortable.

Is this what it means to truly use Perception? Rhonda asked.

Every attribute has a purpose, queen. Maybe more than one. In this case, can you see what I’m seeing?

Rhonda refocused. She saw a peculiar reflection low in the bush that was twenty feet ahead of her. There was a thicket of saplings in the way, but she was certain what she had spotted was a prey animal peeking back at her.

Rhonda’s heart pulsed faster. Her grip tightened on her knife’s handle. Her mouth was dry, and her stomach was a silent gnawing of need. She felt Londa drift back, giving Rhonda space to act as she wanted. The giantess appreciated the gesture, considered her options, and decided to make a casual move.

She turned to her left and strolled slowly away from the hidden prey animal. She made herself look like she was going to vacate the scene. As she played out the ruse, she watched through the corner of her eye the spot her prey hid. She waited until the sapling thicket was out of the way, then she swiftly turned on her heels and refaced her potential food.

Rhonda aimed the point of her knife at the bush and evoked [Boost Thrust]! A surge of magical energy ran from the knife’s handle into her grip like a current. It zapped down to her legs and energized the limbs.

She suddenly had more speed than she ever imagined, her legs spiraling so fast she nearly lost control. She became a giant black missile flying onto the bush. She was more likely to tackle it than stab it, but that was perfectly fine!

Consequently, the prey-animal squealed in surprise. The bush rattled as it bolted out to getaway. It was a hair too slow, fortunately; Rhonda swiped her knife and found purchase with the edge of her blade. It ran a vicious and deep line along the prey’s rear-thigh.

Then everything else that ensued was a mad flurry of clumsiness and savagery. Rhonda hit the ground with a thunderous wallop. She rolled head over heels, caught a bunch of twigs and leaves with her face, fussed with her tangled-up pelt, and then jumped to her feet.

She sprinted to the height of her normal speed, which was hardly that fast. She trampled saplings in her way, lunged over mossy boulders, and barely caught up to the hobbling Lvl 25 Little Boar. It was trying to flee down a deer trail, and it might’ve gotten away if it hadn’t looked back at the giantess that stormed after it.

It was five feet at the shoulders and probably had enough power to clip a leg right from under her if she hadn’t gotten the jump on it. But now that it was injured and distracted, Rhonda collapsed her full weight onto its back and brought down the point of her knife.

She thrust. She twisted. She yanked. She repeated the action, again and again. Every violent pull flung arcs of blood, splashed her face and gambeson, and drenched her knife-holding hand. After she punctured its torso half a dozen times, the boar shuddered and sank into the ground. It became another soul claimed by death.

Rhonda wheezed, feeling a little winded. It might’ve been small prey, but it was certainly tougher than it looked.

 

You earned good experience for defeating a greater enemy.

Do you wish to loot the body? Yes or no?

 

“N-no.” Rhonda shook her head, inhaling shaky breaths. Her body was sweltering, and her heart was thumping so loud it was like a drum being struck near her ear. She closed her eyes and soaked in the momentous occasion of killing her first, warm-blooded prey outside of the manor. A prey that would serve her in her survival.

Sooooooooo… you wanna haul this bad boy over to the river so we can drink and eat and enjoy ourselves?

Rhonda’s cravings wanted nothing more than to feast immediately, there and then. She withheld herself, however, knowing what Londa suggested would elevate her pleasure. In spite of hunger that roared like a monstrous inferno, Rhonda did not give in to her yearning savagery.

“Yes,” Rhonda said, finding the courage and the determination to control herself. “That sounds very pleasant.”

She wiped the blade clean on the dried fur of the boar. She grabbed it by the good leg and dragged it behind her as she continued her hike toward the river.

Uhhh, you don’t think other beasts might follow the blood trail, do you?

Rhonda smirked. “I prayeth they do.”

20