11 – Disturbing Truths, Part II
1.3k 8 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amara was appalled. She found the thought that gods were feeding on mortal souls, like livestock, to be utterly deplorable. Even if she didn’t know what would happen to souls without the gods’ interventions, Amara thought the gods had no right to them. And it didn’t sound like it was anything pleasant.

But Amara knew she could do nothing about it either. She was far too weak, and knew far too little.

For the first time in her life, she was bothered by a feeling of helplessness. Amara didn’t consider herself the most moral person, but she had standards. A moral code she strictly stood by, and what she’d heard went against them.

Her anger at the gods was reignited. From what she knew, they did nothing for mortals, yet fed on their souls without lifting a finger. And the angels were in on it.

Disgusting.

Amara’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a familiar clang.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

You have been granted the divine skill: Select Mouthpiece!

Grantor: YjM#H})Ad&B=,gA(4pSC.6p$ 

[collapse]

What are the chances that junk is Tom?

You hear that Tom! Your name is junk!

Amara sighed and appraised her new skill.

Spoiler

 

Appraisal Result

Select Mouthpiece - Infuse a mortal with your divine power permanently, enabling them to contain your divine power and use copies of your own divine skills. 

Divine skills granted are limited to those of your choosing, when this ability is used. 

Mortals can not create their own divine power, relying on a supply from you to use their divine skills.

Mortal bodies are not designed to contain divine power. Using this ability may be deadly to the target.

This ability is currently limited with restrictions by the grantor. 

1.Target limit: 1

2.Target current location: Teyrin

Grantor: YjM#H})Ad&B=,gA(4pSC.6p$ 

[collapse]

Huh. So that’s what the place was called.

Amara frowned. Her body had heated up at first by the incoming stream of divine power, but eventually the heat stopped rising, only to settle down quite quickly. 

Although she still felt that her body was warmer than normal, Amara realized that her divine power was already filled. Excess divine power was emitted out of her body, but she still heard the mortal voices coming. 

Reminded by the mortals, whose voices whispered in the back of her head, a thought crossed her mind. “Ezme, how many worlds are in my domain?”

“One hundred and twenty seven.” Ezme chirped as she replied.

That’s a lot of worlds. “And how many people are living across them all?”(Amara)

“I don’t know to be honest.” Ezme cocked her head as she considered. “In total? Billions for sure. Don’t think it’s in the trillions though, I think the average world has a billion or two.”

Amara couldn’t picture billions of people. The closest reference she had when she had been watching the olympics on television, which at most had shown hundreds of thousands of people in the frame. But even then the people were too small to make out in the aerial footage.

Once again she was reminded of the limitations her mortal brain could handle, even if it now was empowered since ascension. 

A chill ran up her spine.

All those people are relying on me. ME. What the hell.

It all felt surreal. 

I don’t think I should select a mouthpiece yet. After all, it seems pretty risky to mess around with thoughtlessly. Besides, I don’t even really have many divine skills - some of which I haven’t even used myself. If I can create my own, I might as well make one that will be useful. Or even a few.

Amara turned to Ezme. “How many worlds do you have in your domain?”

Ezme paused. Eventually her reply came ”Two hundred and thirty one.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. That’s a lot of worlds.

Ezme however, mistook what the raised eyebrow meant. 

“Shut up!” Ezme howled with a flushed face at Amara. “There are reasons!” 

Amara smiled wryly. “Oh?”

“First of all, I’m young for an angel. One of the youngest in fact. Which means that I’m not as powerful as the majority of my siblings. They can’t give me more than they are confident I can deal with.” Ezme sighed as her wings drooped. “The second has to do with the reason why you came here.”

Amara smiled. “You were mistaken, I didn’t think it was a small number of worlds.”

“Y-you…” Ezme stammered before she stopped and calmed herself.

Amara decided not to tease her. “I assume the second part you mentioned meant the armistice?”

“Yes. Or the cause for it.” Ezme said disquietly. “We’re losing.”

Amara raised her eyebrows. “You’re losing?”

“Yes.” Ezme replied sadly. “There are more wars going on, the one with the Devourer and his demons being the most prominent one."

The angel turned and looked away at the clouds. “By striking an armistice, we can change our focus elsewhere. To Father...and to most, if not all of my siblings, sacrificing a few worlds is no big deal if we emerge victorious in the end.” (Ezme)

A hundred-something worlds is considered few?!

Ezme’s sad eyes turned to Amara.

“And that’s where the champion comes in. By sacrificing one, the many can be saved. The sole purpose of the champion is to buy time. For the others to regroup, strengthen the defenses.” Ezme explained dispiritedly.

Well. Shit. “I thought the terms were pretty advantageous to the demons. Guess now I know why.” Amara sighed and watched the pulsing lights in the distance.

She felt a radiating heat against her back as Ezme wrapped her wing around her.

“Don’t worry. I believe in you. After all, you’re unique. An enigma. Holding the properties of both angels, although in weakened form, as well as - “ Ezme suddenly stopped.

Amara turned to look at Ezme’s confused face. “What is it?”

“You don’t have any levels.” Ezme’s bewildered voice responded.

Levels? That’s true, if you were to compare it with a game.

“I wonder wh - Ah! I got it!” Ezme exclaimed cheerfully. “Try moving your mana!”

Oh yeah, I got a little bit of mana now.

Amara could feel the mana faintly inside her body, gently swirling around. She tried to focus it into her hand, imagining it flowing through her body and through her arm - and felt a tingling feeling. The tingling was stronger in her arm and hand as the mana rushed through her.

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

A bell started ringing in her head. Amara looked down at the screen.

Spoiler

You have learned a new general skill: Mana Manipulation lvl 1.

[collapse]
Spoiler

Level functionality has been unlocked, as you have gained your first level.

Every new level increases your attributes by 1.

Every new level grants a free attribute point you can distribute.

[collapse]
Spoiler

You have gained a level!

Attributes have been increased. You have an attribute point to spend.

You have gained a level!

Attributes have been increased. You have an attribute point to spend.

You have gained a level!

Attributes have been increased. You have an attribute point to spend.

Error occurred. Leveling up requires mana. You will level up once you have mana.

[collapse]

Ezme smiled at Amara. “Looks like mortals actually have to use their mana to unlock their levels. I suppose, mortals born on worlds with mana learn to use it subconsciously at an early age.”

Amara frowned. “An error?”

“Hmm. Interesting!” Ezme said curiously as she watched Amara’s screen.

Huh, she’s confused too. Status.

 

Spoiler

 

Status

 

Name: Amara

Race: Human (Ascended)

Age: 19 (Earth)

Level: 3 (New!)(Error!)

Class: None (New classes available!)

Titles: 

the Ascended

 

Divine Power:

140 489  / 140 489 (100%) 

+ 5810 / h (4%)

+ approx. 6 021 000 / h (4285%)

 

Mana:

0/11 (0%)

+ 0 / h (0%)

 

Remaining points: 3 (New!)

Strength: 199 (+3)

Agility: 265 (+3)

Dexterity: 225 (+3)

Vitality: 239 (+3)

Stamina: 221 (+3)

Willpower: 298 (+4)                       

 

Divine Skills:

Angelic Language lvl 2

Appraisal lvl 2 

Telepathy lvl 2 (New!)

Creation lvl 1

Realm Gate lvl 1

Open Sesame lvl 1

Select Mouthpiece lvl 1 (New!)  

 

Class Skills: 

None

 

General Skills (˅): (New skill learned!)

[collapse]

“How curious.” Ezme leaned back and cocked her head in contemplation.

Amara closed her screen and spoke with an amused tone. “Now things are really starting to look like a game. It even comes with glitch- hmpf!”

Ezme’s hand came flying, blocking Amara’s mouth from uttering anything more. Ezme whispered harshly. “I told you to keep it down about it!”

Amara smiled behind Ezme's hand as she looked into her eyes and nodded.

Ezme sighed as she lowered her hand with an expression that clearly told Amara she was considered hopeless. The corner of her mouth raised higher.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. I should have called them features.”(Amara)

Hello dear readers.

I believe the introductory part of the story is finally complete.

I hope you stay with us. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the story, what you would like to see improve in my writing.

59