16 – Mental Training Can’t Stop Despair
1.2k 12 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I want to feel Ezme’s wings draped over me. See her-

[You’re doing it again.] (Ezme)

Woopsie. 

The mental training was slow, and emotionally grueling. It was the opposite of what Amara had been training thus far, she had tried to make her mental images stronger, not weaker. And now she had to learn to have weak mental images whenever she wasn’t using magic or wanted to use Telepathy.

Ezme’s idea was simple, in order to discipline Amara’s mind she simply had to recognize the border where the mental image becomes clear enough.

Which led to the current situation.

Ezme’s legs look really appetizing. I really want to-

[Again!](Ezme)

They had begun by sitting on the floor while looking at each other. But it had soon spiralled out of control.

Watching Ezme’s expressions right in front of her as she occasionally heard the things Amara was thinking, she would see Ezme blush. Pretty soon Ezme commanded Amara to turn around, so now they sat facing opposite sides of the room instead.

This really is inefficient. Isn’t there…

Can I make a skill? Stop my thoughts from being transmitted?

As Amara was thinking Ezme’s voice came from behind. “Looks like you’re finally getting it. I haven’t heard anything for a while now.”

“Hmm? Sorry, I was thinking of creating a skill.”(Amara)

“You should focus on getting your thoughts in order first!” (Ezme)

“But I think it’ll help with it.”(Amara)

“Tsk. Try it then.” Ezme’s sigh came.

If I was a phone, I could use something like airplane mode. But then I’d block incoming telepathy too, and seemingly prayers as well. 

I want something that puts on a mode like a GPS, receiving but not sending anything. Or mute microphone. Push to talk?

Think I need two skills. One to block outgoing, one to make it pass through.

Amara pictured a bubble around her that blocked any thoughts from passing through, as she activated her divine power.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

You have used a previously unused skill! Add skill to directory?

Y / N

[collapse]

Yes.

Spoiler

Skill Lidded Thoughts has been added to register!

[collapse]

Now just to create a skill that lets my thoughts through.

[Ding!]

Hmm?

Spoiler

Do you wish to synthesize the divine skills Telepathy and Lidded Thoughts to create a new skill?

Y / N

[collapse]

Well that’s handy. Guess the system can tell what I want from time to time.

Yes.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Telepathy and Lidded Thoughts have synthesized to make the new skill Make A Call.

Skill Make A Call has been added to register!

[collapse]
Spoiler

The skill Lidded Thoughts appears to have become redundant, as the skill Make A Call replicates the effects.

Remove skill from register?

Y / N

[collapse]

Wow. Real handy. Everything’s going my way all of a sudden.

Yes.

Spoiler

Skill Lidded Thoughts has been removed from the register.

[collapse]

Now let’s try it out. 

Amara smiled wryly and turned around to look at Ezme. 

Ezme, you little minx. Can you hear me? You wait, for when the affection gauge gets high enough…

Amara thought intensely about the angel, who in turn didn’t react in any way.

Seems like it worked. Let’s try the second part.

Make A Call: Ezme. 

Amara snickered as she heard a tone in her head and click as if she had made a call that instantly was picked up.

[Hello Ezme. Can you hear me now?](Amara)

[Yes. Seems like it worked. Good work, what did you do?] (Ezme)

[Praise me more. I just used ideas from technology on Earth.] (Amara)

[I’ll admit I’m impressed. That is because you did what mortals do well, create tools that help them in their endeavours. But don’t let it go to your head.] (Ezme)

[Sorry, I can’t hear you properly. You need to raise your praise.](Amara)

[Insufferable.](Ezme)

 

__________________________

 

Amara sat cross-legged on her observation deck with stinging eyes.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Farsight has reached lvl 3.

[collapse]

I need a break.

Amara cancelled Farsight and closed her eyes as she rubbed them with her fingers.

Status.

Spoiler

Status

 

Name: Amara

Race: Human (Ascended)

Age: 19 (Earth)

Level: 3 (Error!)

Class: None (Classes Available)

Titles: 

the Ascended

 

Divine Power:

284 945  / 284 945 (100%) 

+ 17352 / h (6%)

+ approx. 7 513 000 000 / h (2 636 649%)

 

Mana:

0/11 (0%)

+ 0 / h (0%)

 

Remaining points: 0

Strength: 211

Agility: 280

Dexterity: 235

Vitality: 249

Stamina: 228

Willpower: 310               

 

Divine Skills (˅):

Spoiler

Angelic Language lvl 4

Appraisal lvl 7 

Telepathy lvl 6 

Creation lvl 2

Realm Gate lvl 2

Open Sesame lvl 2

Select Mouthpiece lvl 1

Divine Punch lvl 5

Divine Kick lvl 5

Divine Headbutt lvl 1 

Farsight lvl 3 (New!)

Divine Body Strengthening lvl 6

Make A Call 

[collapse]

 

Class Skills: 

None

 

General Skills (˅): 

Spoiler

Punching lvl 4

Kicking lvl 5

Headbutting lvl 2

Mana Manipulation lvl 1

Sense Mana lvl 1

Selective Hearing lvl 9

Pain Tolerance lvl 3

[collapse]
[collapse]

Amara felt that her rate of growth was decreasing when it came to her attributes. Even if her pool of divine power was successively increasing with the use of her skills, it was slowly increasing less and less. The same was true with her physical attributes.

What can I do?

Amara knew she had to get stronger, and more skilled. She had just been using farsight to look down at Teyrin - seeing the progress Ryc'zamul was making. 

Every demon Ryc’zamul was summoning was stronger than her. She could surely put up a fight against them one-on-one. But it would be like pitting a moose against a seasoned predator.

Her kicks and punches would be strong, she could be fast. But at the mere sight of them, Amara could tell that the demons were cunning. They were designed to overwhelm their opponent with numbers and exploit weaknesses. So no matter how strong she got, Amara would be dragged into a battle of attrition. A death of a thousand cuts.

I need help. I need an army to counter Ryc’zamul’s.

Amara had also had a look on the mortal races of Teyrin. The majority were humans, but there also three other races that inhabited the world.

Another race on Teyrin was what she thought would be called Nagas. They seemed to prefer hotter climates, claiming the deserts as their own. They were essentially large, thick, snakes with arms attached.  

There also existed a bipedal reptilian race, covered in colourful snake scales. Their society had settled in wetter climates, marshlands and the like. Even if their faces were covered in scales, it was still more human shaped.

Amara suspected that the third race had to have been the result of cross-species copulation. How the act would actually work in practice, she didn’t want to think about. 

There also existed the possibility that they were the result of some sick experiment. She really hoped that wasn't the case. 

The last race was what seemed to be wyverns. She was a bit surprised, but not overly so. After all, Amara knew from fantasy stories that dragons were often considered extremely intelligent, or nothing but wrathful beasts. As she considered wyverns a subspecies of dragons, she suspected the possibility. 

Amara wondered if there were dragons on Teyrin too. But she hadn’t heard any prayers from such a race that she could notice. Because it was by following the prayers that Amara found the different races to begin with.

And the prayers had begun to subside. There was an initial burst of prayers as people panicked after receiving a revelation. But now they were settling down. And many were praying to her in despair, asking why she wasn’t answering.

Spoiler

…[...won’t you answer?][Please, goddess…][...a sign. Let us…]...

[collapse]

It didn’t mean that the majority wasn’t hopeful. But she could feel many were worried. Afraid. Begging her for answers. Like many had from the beginning, but now their numbers were increasing.

What can I do?

Amara began to feel frustrated and hopeless. As she compared the mortal races to the demons, she guessed that they would need dozens of mortals to compete with a single demon. Maybe even hundreds, depending on the demons and the mortals compared.

And Ryc’zamul was summoning dozens of demons every day.

She knew that once the barrier dissolved, a bloodbath like none other would ensue. Even if she managed to get the mortals to help her and prepare, they would at best hold the lesser demons at bay. 

Amara would still have to face Ryc’zamul herself. None of the mortals she saw were even close to be considered in the same league.

Amara wrapped her arms around her knees as she pulled them to her chest and felt tears roll down her cheeks.

What can I do?

Ahem.

Made a boo-boo and saw that instead I accidentally wrote 'was' rather than 'wasn't' when talking about Amara's hopes of the reptilians not being an experiment.

55