SS8 – Divine Intervention
1.1k 6 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The young man, who just entered the age of manhood, stood his ground against the monster before him as he yelled to his comrades.

“Get Ricky out of here! I’ll hold it off!”(?)

“You can’t, Hender! You won’t stand a chance!”(??)

“If you don’t go we all die! GO!”(Hender)

The young man raised his shield as he waited for the growling monster’s next advance. He could hear the rustling of his comrades fleeing the scene in the forest.

At least we all won’t have to die.

The monster was no longer in a hurry. Humanoid in shape that was twice his height, dark skin and long arms that hung just above the ground as it stood hunched over with bent knees. A dark troll.

It was intelligent enough to realize that the others had abandoned the boy, as he had managed to wound two of the others. 

The first wounded had been the young girl in their adventuring party as the troll had knocked him and Ricky out of the way. With a broken arm she could no longer wield her bow.

Ricky had been quick to recover and charged at the troll, but got his chest plate dented into his chest. He had to get help from the two girls, the archer and the magician, to get back to the city and find treatment quickly. 

But the troll would not abandon its pursuit. Hender’s choice was clear.

I don’t want to die.

He and the troll circled around each other as they both seemed to wait for an opportunity.

I just have to buy enough time. Then I can try to escape.

The troll made its charge. Swinging its arm in a wide arc, the young man ducked as he stepped to the side to avoid it. He ended up stumbling on the uneven ground as he turned to face the troll. 

The troll was quick, it already stood with its arms raised to pummel him into the group with his fists.

Body Enhancement!

The young man leaped to the side once his body enhancement was active. He heard the sound of the troll’s fists striking the soft earth where he had stood a moment before. 

Hender felt a dull pain as something hard struck against his side as he rolled over it. He knew he wasn’t injured and quickly stood up, finding the troll who had turned its eyes toward him.

I need to get a strike in. Get it wary of me. 

Once again the troll began approaching. As it drew its arm back to make another swing, the young man stepped forward, ducking under it again, this time prepared.

Slashing Strike!

Mana rushed through him to guide his movement as he slashed the troll’s waist, making a deep cut with his sword. Deep for a human.

Hender continued forward to get away from the troll, but was too slow. With a bone crushing force he was struck on his back by a fist, sending him flying. 

He flew into a tree and spun in the air as he fell down on the ground. Every part of him hurt now.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Pain Tolerance has reached level 14!

[collapse]

With the adrenaline rushing through his veins he forced himself up onto his hands and knees. He had to move if he didn’t want to die. He looked at the troll.

Confident of its victory, the troll leisurely approached him.

I don’t want to die.

A flash of golden light interrupted them. Both Hender, and the troll that stopped, looked to the distraction.

A golden rift was appearing, with glowing golden and silver particles flowing out of it.

What is that?

The rift grew quickly, until it suddenly stopped growing when it was the combined length of the troll and himself in width. 

For a moment, everything but the flowing particles coming out of the portal stood still.

Suddenly Hender heard a sharp rush of air and the appearance of white fog. The rush of air pulled him, making him fall on his side and a sharp rush of pain ran through his injured back. 

What the hell?!

Everything went quiet. Hender looked up and saw through the fog that was quickly evaporating that there was neither a troll nor a bright golden portal in sight. 

Warily, he stood up, holding his sword. After waiting for a while he concluded that the troll was truly gone.

Was that the goddess?

 

_____________

 

 

Limping back to the city, Hender contemplated.

That had to be divine intervention. But I doubt anyone will believe me. I wonder what the others will say.

Status.

Spoiler

Status

 

Name: Hender Vekoran

Race: Human 

Age: 16 (Ramay)

Level: 14

Class: Defender

 

Mana:

4/20 (20%)

+ 5 / h (33%)

 

Remaining points: 0

Strength: 30

Agility: 29

Dexterity: 28

Vitality: 34

Stamina: 23

Willpower: 25

 

Class Skills: 

Sweeping Slash lvl 4

Shield Wall lvl 2

Taunting Cry lvl 1

Charge lvl 1

 

General Skills (˅): 

Spoiler

Punching lvl 2

Anger Management lvl 3

Pain Tolerance lvl 14

Sword Slash lvl 16

Sword Stab lvl 9

Shield Slam lvl 6

Shield Strike lvl 7

Shield Block lvl 13

Body Enhancement lvl 18

[collapse]
[collapse]

 

Hender sighed. Whatever it was, had saved his life. His mana had been just about depleted. 

 

Arriving at the infirmary in the city, his party members' eyes nearly dropped out of their heads. 

“Hender! You’re alive!” The magician shouted and wrapped him in a hug with tears in her eyes.

“Ow.” (Hender)

“Sorry! Are you injured?” She looked at him with concern.

“My back hurts.” he replied as he drew in a sharp breath as his back had flared up again in pain.

After getting his armor and clothes off, a medic arrived to have a look at him. Although she looked far too proper for a regular medic. Her aura exuded a personality that was different from the normally comforting type that helped the injured.

Probably a noble. At least there’s the good sort too.

“How’s Ricky?” Hender asked the magician.

“He’ll make it. He’s resting at the moment.” She replied before breaching the topic. “How did you survive?” 

Hender shook his head. “I don’t know. Suddenly a golden rift appeared, and before I knew what, both the troll and the rift were gone.”

“A rift?” The magician frowned. “What did it look like?”

“Golden light from within. And what looked like golden dust coming out of it.” (Hender)

The medic was inspecting him as silence descended between them.

“I think it was the goddess. Lady Ezme saw my plight and decided to help me.” He finally said.

“Divine intervention? That’s your answer?” The magician asked, amused with a raised eyebrow.

“Don’t know what else to tell you. I just know I’ll be praying to the righteous lady tonight.” Hender replied.

“Let me tell you, the lady isn’t as righteous as you think she is!” The medic suddenly snorted.

“Oh? What makes you say that?” The magician asked curiously.

The medic looked at the magician seriously as she exclaimed. “Because she stole my bed!”

59