SS29 – Alarice – A Sister’s Duty
786 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter was removed, as I remembered a major inconsitency to previous chapters.

I apologize for the inconvenience to the readers who already read it.

“Sister Alarice. I’m going to walk my own path from now on.” (Ezme)

Alarice stared at her little sister who made her declaration. Of course she intended to test her conviction when making a statement of that kind. 

And when she watched Ezme relax despite the glare, she saw the acceptance in the moist, grey eyes. Ezme was ready to accept the consequences of her choice, wherever it would lead her. As if she was expecting to be punished for her choice.

Alarice looked into her little sister's eyes. The one thing that Ezme hadn't changed at all, at Alarice's insistence.

Brother. She's just like you.

“I see.” Alarice said quietly and closed her eyes, her heart filled with regret. 

Where did I go wrong?

If she follows the path she has chosen, it will lead to her downfall. Just like it did for my brother.

But it’s her own choice. Should I simply accept it, knowing the outcome?

Why does she keep interacting with mortals, despite all my efforts to make her close her heart to them? 

What am I missing? Could I be wrong about mort-

[Ding!]

Feeling the subtle ripple in her very being, Alarice clenched her jaw as she brought forth her anger, already knowing what the bell entailed. No. I’m not wrong.

Once her emotions were controlled by her anger, Alarice clenched her fists.

My little sister. I can’t let you fall as well.

What did I do wrong?

How did it come to this?

 

_______________

Flashback: 00 - Prologue (Conflict of Interest)

 

{“Are you doubting our Father’s judgement?” Alarice asked harshly. 

“Of course he isn’t! He’s just speaking the truth! I bet my wings that there isn’t a single divine being in creation who would volunteer! Am I wrong?” Ezme exclaimed while looking around the great hall at the reactions of their siblings, most of which were in agreement.

Alarice frowned as she looked at her little sister. 

What’s up with her today? It’s completely different from usual.

She’s been depressed for a long time, and it’s gotten worse lately. To the point I almost expected her to snap - ah. So that’s what it is.

“Volunteered? Are we supposed to draw lots like some of those filthy mortals?” Ezme exclaimed in an exaggerated tone. “You can be volunteered! I swear, I’d rather cut off my wings than be selected in such a manner!”

Alarice’s frown deepened. That’s the second time you’ve disrespected your own nature as an angel. This will not do.

Just what are you up to- you want to be chosen? Is that it?!

“You are rather adamant on both looking down on mortals and ridding yourself of your wings, sister; tell me, if you got rid of your wings, wouldn’t you become a mortal?” Alarice said coldly as she crossed her arms while glaring at her little sister.

Ezme turned her defiant gaze towards her, but the instant their eyes met she could see the hesitation in her disciple’s eyes. Alarice's little sister made a loud declaration after resolving herself. “I’d rather die than become a mortal!” 

You don’t mean that. Stop lying.

And death would be a mercy compared to the fate you’d suffer if you become the champion and lose. 

Alarice felt her anger rising as she glared more intensely at her sister. “If you are feeling so light about dying, why not volunteer?”

Alarice saw her little sister shudder and when her resolve was broken, with a flash of panic in her eyes. “W-what? N-no! I didn’t-”

That’s right. You think I don’t know you? I’ve seen through you already. Stop being dramatic.

If you had the conviction to sacrifice yourself, you’d already volunteered. But you’re still too afraid.

Alarice watched how Ezme regained her composure and calmed down after Sophelia intervened in the conversation. 

At least she won’t be saying anything ridiculous like that any time soon. I’ll have to scold her later.

“- but if we ascend a mortal with a gift of divinity from our Father - “ (Morpheus)

Alarice frowned as she caught something that was unacceptable. Mortal? Gift of divinity?

No way.

BLASPHEMY!” Alarice shouted, adding her voice to the choir of anger directed at the artifactor. 

Mortals covet power! Once they get a taste of it, they’ll use it to rebel against us - they’ll even ally with the demons if they have to in order to achieve their aims!

Alarice clenched her jaw and felt the need to retort, but once her siblings had the situation well at hand her anger was calmed. 

Well said, Cato. There aren’t any mortals worthy of our Father’s-

“Exactly!” (Morpheus)

Alarice frowned in confusion while listening to his explanation. While true, it was still completely unacceptable.

The fact that you want to choose a mortal with the arrogance to believe they can do a better job than us, goes to show how naive you are. You haven’t seen what happens when mortals betray us, brother.

And that was when the mortals were favourable to us. Yet they still betrayed us. 

Betrayed me.

Alarice listened to Sophelia’s input to the conversation. While the seraph seemed opposed to the idea, the fact that she still offered advice that gave traction to the thought of using a mortal as champion, reminded her of how wise her elder sister was. She always seemed to be able to stay above the petty arguments, and could always see the merits and demerits to any suggestion.

But she didn’t mention the largest demerit to the idea.

“However, that doesn’t disregard the original fact that it is a mortal. A despicable one at that.” Alarice declared, effectively bringing a halt to the conversation. Many of the younger angels nodded in understanding and agreement. 

But you don’t understand, because you weren’t there. 

Alarice turned her eyes to the older generation of angels. Those who had been alive to witness it. They all had grim expressions on their faces, many with inclined heads.

That’s right. If we grant mortals power, the same will happen again. Just like it did to me and Alaric.

“Do it.” (God)

Alarice felt like her heart stopped at the booming declaration of their Father that broke the silence.

...What? No!

Alarice turned her eyes to her Father, who met her gaze. The strictness of his eyes made it clear to her that he knew her concerns, but he had considered them and chosen to go ahead with the foolishness anyway.

I get that there are benefits, but the risks...fine. I know I can be temperamental about mortals.

If that’s how it is, then there’s nothing else to say. Alarice crossed her arms and clenched her jaw before she spoke. “...Who shall choose the mortal, Father? And from where?”

“...Ezme.” (Father)

“Yes, Father!” (Ezme)

Alarice felt like her blood suddenly ran cold. What?!

She turned her eyes to her Father and shouted in her mind. [Father! Anyone but her! It’s better if I do it! If Ezme chooses a mortal she’ll likely get attached, and-]

[Precisely. She needs to learn not to form attachments.] (God)

Alarice completely ignored what he was speaking aloud to her siblings as she retorted. [But this could make it that much more personal! She’s not ready yet! I’ll teach her when-]

[You’ve been mentoring her for so long, and she still hasn’t learned. If she falls apart, then it’s a result of you coddling her. You can’t protect her forever.] (God)

Alarice grit her teeth in anger. [You think I haven’t tried?! Ezme is different from the others! If we aren’t careful she could end up with the same fate as Alaric-]

[It’s done. And don’t interfere - this is a lesson Ezme will learn on her own.] (God)

Alarice’s frustration grew at the same time as her heart filled with anxiety as she watched her sister fly out of the silver city.

Please remember what I’ve told you, Ezme. Don’t let the mortal get close to you. Don’t think about your choice. Only view the mortals as a resource.

Please, just this once. For your own sake.}

_______________

 

But you didn’t. You never paid attention when I told you not to trust mortals.

You let the mortal get close to you. You did get better in the short term, but at what cost in the future?

...Sophelia and Father were right. I have coddled you, haven’t I? 

 

_______________

Flashback: Chapter 24 - Butting Heads (Duty)

 

 

 

{“She isn’t ready yet.” Alarice declared sternly.

“If she isn’t ready, it’s because you haven’t prepared her.” Sophelia said in a soft voice. “Which is your duty as her mentor.”

Alarice glared at her elder sister. “Ezme is different. You know that.”

Sophelia blinked slowly before she met her gaze with a serene smile. “Yes, sister. I’m well aware.” 

“Then you should know it could break her!” Alarice roared in anger. “This isn’t something you can take lightly! Being tasked as rearguard, is…”

“I’m not taking this lightly, sister.” Sophelia replied calmly. “I’m well aware of what might happen.”

“Evidently not, or you wouldn’t suggest it!” Alarice grit her teeth as she spun around.

I’ll have to talk to Father. Sophelia has gone too far-

“The order comes from our Father, not me.” Sophelia said calmly. 

Alarice stopped in her tracks as she turned to look back at her. “From Father?”

Sophelia nodded. Alarice inclined her head as she stared at the floor. 

What is Father thinking? Ezme isn’t ready.

Have I been complacent?

...No. I’ve had her fight on battlefields with mortals for a long time. And she still can’t close her heart to seeing them die.

Alarice felt how Sophelia put her hand on her shoulder to comfort her. “I’m sorry, Alarice. I know Ezme is different, but this might be what she requires. Perhaps being given a task that is more than she can handle is what she needs. You’re being too emotional about this.”

Sophelia left Alarice after giving her another pat on her shoulder. Left alone in her chambers, her anxious thoughts took over.

Perhaps Sophelia is right. Maybe this is what she needs.

But if she breaks apart as a result...what then? You can’t just fix something like that.

Alarice sighed as she raised her head as she crossed her chamber and walked towards one of the walls. Even as she approached, she didn’t slow down.

Once she had passed through the illusion that only she and her Father knew about, she looked at the large crystal that stood upon the pedestal in the otherwise empty room. A constant, dim white light was emitted from within it.

Upon approach, she carefully extended her hand and touched the soulstone with her fingertips. It had been a long time since the light had been irregular.

But it shouldn’t be long before it’s time again.

Alarice affectionately stroked one of the even surfaces of the crystal as she whispered. “What should I do?”

Alarice wasn’t expecting to get an answer. But she knew what the answer would have been.

After all, you only ever did what you thought was right, be it wasteful or not. And you managed to inspire all of us to do the same, to always be the best we could be. Me. Our siblings. Even the mort-

[Ding!]

Alarice clenched her jaw as she felt the familiar ripple through her being, heralding the change she couldn’t permit. 

But it didn’t work in the end. If it did, we wouldn’t have been betrayed. You’d still be here.

And now I’ll do whatever I have to. 

After getting her emotions back under control by reigniting her anger, she looked at the crystal with a cold gaze as she withdrew her hand. “Alaric...you’re not forgotten. Once Sophelia gets her plan ready...I’ll be coming to get you. And everyone else.”

Alarice turned away from the pedestal with determination.

Sophelia is right. Ezme’s growth has stalled, and drastic measures are needed.

Now then, to tell her about her assignment. 

I hope she’s not spending time with that pesky mortal.}

 

_______________

 

You did grow, but you paid a heavy price. In the end though, you still managed to put yourself together again.

...I have been selfish, haven’t I? I've underestimated you, little sister. You're stronger than I thought.

 

_______________

Flashback: SS14 Sophelia- Sacrifices (A Broken Little Sister)

 

 

 

{Alarice walked briskly down the corridors of the silver city, until she found who she was looking for.

“Sophelia.” (Alarice)

She watched as her sister stopped and replied with a gentle smile. “Alarice.”

“We need to talk about Ezme.” Alarice said before her lips settled into a line.

Sophelia blinked and tilted her head. “What about our sister?”

“Have you encouraged her to be close with the mortal?” Alarice accused her.

Sophelia’s smile seemed to grow in amusement. “Perish the thought, I would do no such thing.”

Then why does Ezme keep interacting with it?!

...Damn it, I know why. It’s because that is her nature. That same damnable nature I’ve been trying to suppress.

“However, I will not tell her what she should or should not do. She must learn on her own.” (Sophelia)

Alarice grit her teeth in anger. By then, it will be too late! She won’t see the betrayal coming! 

 “I will not let her walk down the path my brother did. Mortals can’t be trusted. But no matter how many times I tell her, she doesn’t seem to understand.” (Alarice)

Sophelia turned to look at her. “That is because telling does not bring understanding. She must see and witness for herself. Nor can you expect her to understand if you do not tell her everything, either.”

Alarice crossed her arms and frowned. “And tell her that the demon lords were originally our siblings? She can’t handle it. Not yet.”

Sophelia gently stretched her large wings as she sighed. “Then you shall remain at an impasse.”

Alarice snorted as she thought. That’s true. But she still needs to grow more before I can tell her.

But she showed some signs of growing...I suppose that’s why Father chose her to pick the mortal. As a way to force her growth, but...it might backfire. No, it is backfiring. She’s getting too attached.

“I don’t understand why our Father had to pick her to associate with the mortal. I know she needs to learn, but...it still would have been better if it had been me.” (Alarice)

Sophelia smiled and looked away. “Had it been you, it would have been counterproductive. You would not have been able to encourage the champion to fulfill its task with your current state of mind.”

Alarice frowned. “Why does it matter? The mortal will die anyway.” It’s just a sacrifice. It holds no other purpose than to fulfill the terms of the armistice.

“But we need the champion to not die prematurely.” Sophelia smiled as she turned her gaze back to Alarice.

Alarice snorted. “Do you believe I’d kill the mortal?” I may despise mortals, but I’m not an infant. 

“I believe you can restrain yourself. However, mortals are more emotional than us, to the point where it can become self destructive.” Sophelia smiled and cocked her head. “Would you be able to provide the emotional support required?”

...Right. Alarice clicked her tongue. “Maybe not, but it’s only going to make Ezme worse.”

Is that why Ezme went to the mortal instead of me? Because I haven’t been giving her enough emotional support?

...No. I just don’t understand her, damn it. She’s just like Alaric. Even if I had offered, she’d run along to the mortals and keep it from me. Even though we’re siblings. Even though we’re angels.

“How did Ezme manage her task as rearguard?” (Sophelia)

Alarice frowned and looked away. She’s a mess, what did you expect? Even worse than I expected. “She took it hard. But Ezme needs to learn that this war isn’t pretty. And eventually, the demons will likely reach her domain, so she needs to be ready and able to make sacrifices.”

You were right after all. This is what she needed. Even though she’s broken up about it...she still managed to complete the task. 

I’m proud of her, but...I just hope she can pull through. 

“I suspect she will grow from her last deployment.” Sophelia said calmly.

“I hope so. She learns too slowly.” Alarice sighed. It would be difficult for her not to grow from this experience. As long as she can pull herself together again.

“I need to go back to Biradol’s domain. Keep an eye on her for me will you? Keep her away from the path that leads to her falling into the same trap as my brother.” (Alarice)

I should be the one keeping an eye on her right now, but I need to keep our fallen brethren away. One of the ones spotted is strong enough that only me or Sophelia would be able to handle it, but she's occupied with her plans.

...But if her plans fail, we might lose this war. Our fallen brethren keep growing.

Alarice sighed as she shook off her anxious thoughts. Sophelia should be able to keep an eye on Ezme in my stead, however.

The mortal will die. It knows this, and so does Ezme. It’s only a question of time before the mortal turns against us, and Ezme will realize that soon. Once she’s come to terms with what our duty requires of us, she’ll inevitably grow more detached from the mortals.

 

 

_______________

 

They were right. I have coddled and doubted you. You struggled but pressed on and fulfilled your duty as a rearguard. And you managed to put yourself together as well. But...

I was selfish. I wanted to keep you safe, but I also allowed you the freedom to find happiness. Even if I knew you did that by interacting with mortals, I simply couldn't stand how your light kept fading.

I was foolish.

 

_______________

Flashback: Chapter 34 - Laying Claims (A Poisonous Mortal)

 

 

 

{Alarice raised an eyebrow in surprise as she saw the mortal.

It has grown stronger. But even if it grows faster than expected, it’s not going to be enough.

“What do you want?” The mortal asked sharply.

Alarice sighed as she lowered her eyebrow. “Where’s Ezme?”

“What do you want with her?” The mortal instantly shot back, as if expecting the question.

Alarice snorted. “It’s no concern of yours.” 

What do you think, mortal? She’s my sister, and I’m here to check up on her.

I can’t believe Ezme has found interest in such a stupid specimen.

“I’ve made it my concern.” The mortal replied with crossed arms.

Alarice narrowed her eyes as she gazed at the mortal.

Arrogant. Of course, that's why it was chosen. 

How does Ezme tolerate it? If you weren’t the champion, I would have already struck you down.

“Hhhrgh.” (Ezme)

Alarice turned her eyes to the room that the sound came from with a furrowed brow. 

That...snoring?

Ezme? Is she...sleeping?

Alarice stepped towards the source of the sound, but was quickly blocked by the mortal. She stopped as her anger rose. “Out of the way, mortal.”

Insolent tick.

“You don’t need to see her. I’ll tell her you came by.” (Mortal)

Alarice frowned. “Do not think you can keep me from checking up on my little sister.”

The mortal snorted. “Oh really? She’s your little sister? I have a hard time seeing how you actually care for her.”

Alarice’s eyes narrowed as she looked at the mortal. That is because you’re young, blind and stupid. Must be a miracle you survived as long as you did. “I care for my siblings. Especially Ezme. More than you will ever know.”

“You care? Really?” The mortal replied. “Well, bang-up job so far. Your ‘care’ did wonders for her. Especially the deal with making her kill mortals.”

You think I wanted to send her? You think I’d want to send ANYONE for that kind of duty? I do it because it’s necessary. Because the alternative is worse. Arrogant. Insolent. Alarice felt how her anger rose in her voice. “It was necessary. Ezme needs to grow, or she will suffer in the future.”

“And killing mortals? How was that necessary?” (Mortal)

You dare - why am I even arguing with a mortal?

Alarice snorted. “I have neither reason nor patience to tell you.”

I’m already patient enough with your mere continued existence.

Alarice was about to return her attention to the room she had heard the sound from earlier, when the mortal suddenly conjured up a portal. She watched in amusement until she saw the staff in the mortal’s hand.

An enchanted weapon.

Made by mortals.

{Alarice! The spear! Drop it! Quick, DROP IT! (Alaric)}

Alarice felt how her fury reignited, and was about to lash out on the mortal before she restrained herself.

This mortal wasn’t responsible. And it’s still the champion.

“You-” Alarice began, before her vision was covered with a green gas. 

Alarice stood unmoving as the gas poured against and surrounded her. Her mouth set into a bitter, flat line.

Really? 

Really.

...Mortals.

Without thinking about it, Alarice had already stepped forward through the gas cloud with her jaw clenched in anger. 

The mortal stood pointing the staff at her. Alarice directed her anger at the weapon in her hand, as if it represented everything she hated. 

Letting her sweeping arm continue after shattering the staff, she struck the mortal and felt how its bones broke under the force. The mortal likely hadn’t even prepared itself for a counterattack. 

Not that it would have been quick or strong enough to stop her even if it had.

Weak. 

Pathetic.

...And stupid. What did it think it could accomplish?

Alarice walked towards the mortal that had flown to the wall.

[Sister Alarice! Don’t hurt her!] (Ezme)

Alarice frowned as she heard her little sister’s voice. Too late for that.

...But I guess this might be enough.

Alarice stood next to the slumped mortal and looked down at it. “Did you really think you could hurt me?”

The mortal chuckled as it responded with a smile. “Not really. It was about making a statement I guess.”

Typical. Never any thought of the consequences. If it weren’t so stupid, I’d mistaken that for courage.

Alarice snorted. “Then consider my response a warning. Keep your distance from Ezme. No matter what, I am Ezme’s sister, and you are but a temporary existence. Know your place.”

Alarice turned to look where she had felt Ezme’s presence. She was peeking from behind the alcove, with anxiety in her eyes. 

She seems to be doing a lot better...that’s a relief. But…

...She’s still here. With it.

Alarice extended her thoughts to her sister. [See, Ezme? Mortals won’t think twice about betrayal. We’re supposedly allies, and yet she attacked me.] 

[S-sister…] (Ezme)

[Am I wrong? Their stupidity is limitless. They can never see that betraying us will be worse for them, be it individually or collectively. It’s only a matter of time before you are betrayed as well. Nothing good will come from staying close to it.] (Alarice)

[...Did she hurt you?] (Ezme)

Alarice frowned as she turned to leave the mortal’s chambers. [No. But the stench is awful, and the taste is even worse. Some got in my mouth, and now it’s stinging.]

[I-I see…sounds unpleasant...] (Ezme)

[I wouldn’t recommend it. Keep your distance from it.] Alarice added.

[I-I will!] (Ezme)

[Don’t depend on the mortal. You don’t need it.] (Alarice)}  

 

_______________

 

In the end, you still stayed behind with the mortal. You find happiness in interacting the mortals, watching how they-

[Ding!]

Alarice clenched her jaw once again as she halted her line of thought and brought her anger to bear once again to suppress it. 

...Right. The mortal.

It’s the mortal that changed everything. 

It has been whispering words to you, like poison. 

Despite all my warnings, despite all my experience...you chose it.

Alarice clenched her fist in anger as she spoke coldly. “The mortal put you up to this, didn’t it?”

She heard how Ezme replied in a voice that was faintly laced with fear. “What? No, I-”

Of course you won’t admit it. But it has already set its claws in you.

“Seems that I’ve been complacent.” Alarice sighed and opened her eyes. 

This needs to end now.

Ezme seemed startled as she spoke with a panicked voice when Alarice raised her hand. “S-sister-”

Stasis.

Alarice lowered her hand with a sigh as she looked at her sister’s fearful expression. She clenched her fist as she turned away from Ezme, who would remain frozen in place by her spell.

It wasn’t supposed to end up like this.

Where did I go wrong?! 

Alarice clenched her jaw as she started walking away, leaving her sister behind. As she passed the first tree she lashed out with her fist. The sound of creaking wood behind her rose and fell, before it was drowned by a heavy thump and the sound of rustling leaves.

No. It’s just who you are, and my selfish wish to both keep you safe and allow you to find your own happiness caused this.

Sophelia and Father might have allowed the mortal to use you this far. I will not deny that it helped you grow.

But that ends now. I’m not going to simply watch, waiting for the mortal to bring about your fall.

Alarice took a deep breath. I don’t have time to waste.

Status.

Spoiler

Status

 

Name: Alarice

Race: Angel

Age: 10 982 654 112 232 (Gomorrah)

Titles: 

Archangel

the Absolute

Vengence Incarnate

the Indomitable

 

Divine Power:

6 034 M  / 6 213 M (97%) 

+ 0 / h (0%)

+ 0 / h (0%)

- 11 657 M / h (187%) 

 

Strength: 208 k

Agility: 216 k

Dexterity: 211 k

Vitality: 178 k

Stamina: 185 k

Willpower: 205 k

...

[collapse]

...I can’t maintain the spell for long. But it will have to do.

Alarice sighed as she dismissed the screen and turned to look at her beloved sister, who stood still as a statue.

You may not forgive me sister, but I will do anything to keep you safe. Even if I must sacrifice your happiness. Even if I must sacrifice your love for me.

By the time you wake up...everything will be in order.

Maybe it's more than you can handle right now. But I’ve doubted you before, and you’ve proven yourself stronger than you let on. 

Maybe it’s too late to change who you are. Maybe it was inevitable, despite my best efforts...but with this, you might learn to never let yourself close to mortals again.

Alarice turned away from Ezme and looked up at the sky. It’s time I dealt with the mortal.

And kept my duty as your sister, who only wants to keep you safe. 

Alarice waved her hand to dismiss the other screens that had appeared earlier without looking while she extended her wings. After all, she had seen it more than enough times to know its contents.

Spoiler

WARNING!

You have come close to violating the conditions required to keep the title:

Vengence Incarnate

You haven’t forgotten the conditions, have you? Keep it together!  

Spoiler

You stride the wrathful road, determined to claim vengeance upon those who have wronged you. As long as your desire for revenge dictates your actions, nothing shall stand in your way.

All attributes are increased by 700%. 

Activation: Succumb to your fury to double the bonuses granted by this title temporarily, but you can not differentiate between friend and foe while it's active.

Requirements to obtain: Become fueled by your wrath and let your desire for vengeance dictate your actions. Title is unique, and can not be owned by more than one individual at any one time.

Conditions: Title is lost if you forgive anyone who wronged you.

[collapse]
[collapse]

 

36