SS31 – A Princess’ Concerns, Part III
736 5 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4 years later

Time remaining until armistice is annulled: ~990 years (Teyrin) / 9 years 11 months (Earth)

 

“Where is the goddess! It’s supposed to begin, isn’t it?!” (?)

“Not yet.” Isabella let out a sigh as she smiled at Cheryl, the Imperial Princess from a distant kingdom that was seated next to her on the elevated stands. “Don’t worry, she’ll be here.” Probably.

Cheryl snorted as she crossed her arms. “As if she doesn’t have a track record of coming late.”

True. Isabella smiled wryly. “You know that the goddess’ duties are many and-”

“Yes, yes. We’ve had this conversation already.” Cheryl sighed. “I just want to see her again.”

Don’t we all. Isabella tilted her head as she teased. “You sound like a maiden in love.”

“Maybe I am.” Cheryl winked at her. 

She still hasn’t given up? Isabella gave her a sympathetic look. “As your friend, I think I should tell you that you probably don’t stand a chance.”

“Nonsense!” Cheryl denied theatrically. “I just need to meet her again! I was only rejected because I didn’t make my feelings clear last time!”

Isabella noticed how a few of the people in the row in front of her shuddered, while she resisted the urge to do the same.

{“Oh, finally- no, my beloved goddess Ezme! You’re la-I mean, we’ve been waiting for you excitedly ever since we received your order! To think that all our depictions of you were lies...it’s just as I always have said! Ho! Ho! Ho! We need to rectify them...what about your voice? Does it match your appearance?! Oh, I bet it does! Please, goddess, would you say my name? I’m Princess Cheryl - what are you fools doing? Unhand me! What are you saying?! Don’t talk about me as if I’m insane! Goddess! Look at me! LOOK AT ME!! GODDESS, I LOVE-” (Cheryl)}

...She’s been thoroughly avoiding you since then. Isabella shook her head with a smile as she inwardly felt relieved that Cheryl was jesting. 

Cheryl muttered. “You’re no fun.”

Isabella smiled wryly while she inwardly felt relieved. “At least you’re not serious.”

“Of course not.” Cheryl sighed and replied with a faint smile. “I just don’t know what came over me that time. She was just…”

Isabella nodded in understanding when Cheryl’s voice faded. “The personification of cuteness itself.” 

“Yes! Exactly!” Cheryl exclaimed before sighing as her eyes grew distant. “I wish there was a painting of her...”

Isabella covered her mouth with her hand when her lips curved into a smug smile. I HAVE PAINTINGS OF HER!!

After her smugness settled, Isabella smiled at Cheryl. “In any event, even if you were intent on chasing the goddess you wouldn’t stand a chance. She has someone else in her heart, after all.”

“Ah, yes. This Lady Amara. The commoner.” Cheryl snorted and smiled wryly as she tilted her head. “What does she have that I don’t?”

A personality that’s a little less prideful, I suspect. Isabella smiled wryly. “As I understand it, royalty and nobility are mostly a thing of the past in Lady Amara’s homeworld. Some still exist, but apparently they are little more than...a symbolic heritage.”

Cheryl raised an eyebrow. “Are you telling me that the commoners are ruling themselves?”

“From what I understood, yes.” Isabella nodded.

“Hah! Ridiculous.” Cheryl laughed. “As if such a society could ever be functional.”

Isabella raised an eyebrow as she leaned back in her armchair. “But from what I heard, it seems to function quite well? Everyone gets a voice and decisions are made by majority vote, and everyone is held accountable for their actions regardless of their status. Lady Amara’s homeworld sounded very prosperous, where things like healthcare and education is available to everyone-”

“Bella.” Cheryl interrupted sternly. “To even entertain the idea is a joke. Yes, it sounds well and good, but any society would have problems. So what problems does her society have?”

“...I don’t know.” Isabella admitted.

“I can think of a few already - like how it would empower the poor and the lazy to claim the wealth of those that are rich with taxes they can implement through their majority, even if that wealth was earned through wit and diligence. Or how the merchant guilds would rise to greater heights than they already are.” Cheryl sighed. “You should know that you must look at the flaws of any such thing, not the merits. Without considering the flaws, any suggestion will sound like something from paradise. And those who fail to mention the flaws when putting forward a suggestion are either incompetent or doing so for personal gain.”

“...I suppose you’re right.” Isabella replied with a faint smile. “It’s a shame you’re not going to inherit the throne. I believe you would be an excellent ruler.”

“Please, the throne is just a chair. I don’t need it to rule the kingdom, when everything else is already in the cup of my hand.” Cheryl winked with a playful smile.

Isabella giggled. “Then perhaps I shouldn’t let you get too close to me, lest you cup my kingdom as well.”

“Oh, no!” Cheryl covered her mouth with her hand theatrically. “She realized?! What should I do!”

The pair exchanged a glance before they burst into a bright laughter. When they settled, Isabella smiled as she turned to Cheryl again. “In any event, Lady Amara is someone that Lady Ezme chose herself. Without a doubt, she must be an extraordinary human in order to be chosen.” She gestured to the pillar across the arena, upon which the large brazier rested elevated, making the large, eerie green flames within it easily seen by the audience. “After all, the spells and magic items that she has developed isn’t something to scoff at.”

“Ah, yes.” Cheryl smiled. “I suppose she is a genius when it comes to magic.”

 Isabella glanced at her with a teasing smile. “You sing quite a different tune these days.”

“Please.” Cheryl snorted. “You would be skeptical as well, wouldn’t you? I have spent a fortune on developing magic items. How would you react, when someone says that a sudden upstart has suddenly made more progress than my Magic Items Department? And that upstart has done so alone, in less than half the time that I’ve overseen the department’s efforts, that has over a dozen enchanters employed?”

Isabella smiled sympathetically. “It hurt your pride, didn’t it?”

“It still does!” Cheryl retorted. “And the fact that she had no prior knowledge nor experience of magic…”

It makes it seem unfair when compared to your efforts, indeed. Isabella smiled faintly. “Perhaps she was able to make such progress because she had no prior knowledge of magic, rather than in spite of it. At least, that is how the goddess put it.”

“...I suppose that could be true.” Cheryl let out a sigh. 

“Besides, the empire came first in the number of medals.” Isabella smiled. “So you will get the first choice of reward.”

Cheryl seemed to relax her shoulders. “Yes. Now I’ll even be able to use magic items without having to rely on mages to charge them with mana for me.”

Isabella’s smile tilted. “I had a feeling you’d pick that one.”

“Can you blame me?” Cheryl asked.

Isabella shook her head. I would have picked it as well. And knowing that you always wished to become a magician yet couldn’t, I suspect you want it even more than me. 

“Well, then.” Cheryl sighed. “Have you made your choice, second?”

Isabella raised an eyebrow. “How long are you going to rub it in?”

Cheryl grinned as she threw out her arms. “Until you recognize the superiority of the empire, of course!” 

Isabella sighed. “Fine, fine. You won, and your empire showed what it’s capable of.”

“Of course we did! Anything less would have been a disgrace to the empire.” Cheryl grinned.

Isabella glanced at the recruits from Cheryl’s kingdom that stood at the outskirts of the arena. 

Although I hate to admit it, they deserved first place. Whatever training they put them through worked well...their discipline is impressive.

But...it’s to the extent that I wonder what they must have put the recruits through. If the details of such training were to be revealed….would it be considered unethical?

“So, what will you pick?” Cheryl asked as she leaned over her armrest towards her, bringing Isabella’s attention back to the conversation.

“...Probably the schematics for the other magic item.” Isabella said thoughtfully.

“Interesting.” A sudden spark was lit in Cheryl’s eyes as she leaned in closer. “Want to give it to me?”

Isabella burst into laughter. “You really think I’d give it away?”

“Not without the promise of something better.” Cheryl smiled wryly. “I already have a department ready, willing and able to craft magic items. All it needs is the schematics. You know I can have magic items made better, faster and cheaper than you.”

Isabella raised an eyebrow and noticed how some of the foreign nobles had quieted down on the row in front of them, seemingly leaning their ears towards the conversation. “And in return? What would I get out of it?”

Cheryl’s smile rose. “Since I will have a monopoly for both, I’ll be able to choose the pricing. But as my partner in this matter, I’ll allow you to purchase the finished products of both of these...at a hefty discount compared to others.”

Isabella rested her head against her fist as she looked into Cheryl’s eyes. It’s true that the empire’s magic items are superior to ours. 

And this way I wouldn’t have to wait for the third tournament to be able to get access to the other magic item.

But then I’ll also entirely rely on the empire’s supply for these new magic items…

No doubt the magic items will still be expensive, even if she says I’d receive a discount. But it would still likely be more affordable than trying to make them on our own.

I suppose it depends on the margin between the costs per item, and how many we’re going to want. 

Isabella smiled. “I suppose we should schedule a meeting to discuss the details after the tournament.”

“Splendid.” Cheryl let out a satisfied sigh and smiled as she leaned back in her chair. “I wonder what the rewards for the next tournament will be.”

“Already setting your sights on first place for the next one, when this one isn’t over yet?” Isabella asked curiously.

“Of course. And you should too, unless you wish to come third. Or lower.” Cheryl replied before she leaned in and whispered. “I heard the duke is considering entry to the next tournament.”

The duke? Isabella’s eyes widened in surprise as she looked down the row, where the young king of a nation sat next to one of his subjects; a middle aged man with an indifferent appearance.

Their country is primarily run by the duke. Without a doubt, their participation means that the duke was in favour of the idea - meaning he has seen that there is something for him to gain. 

I can only guess that means that any rewards will fall to the duke, rather than the kingdom. Which will make the duke gain even more power, and in the future…

I wonder how long it will be before the king abdicates? All the duke needs is to get more of the nobles to follow him, rather than a king that is little more than a figurehead at this point.

Unless he’s choosing to keep the figurehead for some reason-

“Look!!” Cheryl suddenly exclaimed as she rose from her seat. 

Isabella turned her eyes to her friend, whose eyes were fixed onto the sky. Before she even turned her eyes to follow Cheryl’s gaze to confirm it, she already knew the goddess had arrived.

As the pair of white sails descended towards them, murmurs spread like wildfire through the crowd. A lone, enthusiastic cry from the spectator benches below them cut through the sea of muted buzzing. Soon after the crowd followed suit, and Isabella could feel the floor of the stands shake below her feet. 

When the goddess landed on the top of the stairs to the VIP stands, Isabella had to partially cover her blushing face with her hands. Oh my. 

Isabella had always thought that Lady Ezme was beautiful, even before she changed her appearance before the conference years earlier. But her new, harmonious appearance that was full of life made her strangely captivating.

And today her appearance seemed even more divine, as if she had prepared herself for the ceremonious occasion. 

Oh my goddess! Beautiful! Ador-

Isabella’s thoughts were interrupted as a head of curly red hair moved across her line of sight.

Cheryl..? Oh no!

She immediately reached out and grabbed Cheryl’s wrist. For a moment Cheryl attempted to continue and pull Isabella along with her despite the resistance, before she turned around and glared at Isabella as she snarled. “Let go!”

Isabella met her eyes and replied quietly. “Calm down! You’re about to embarrass yourself.” And me!

“I’m not!” Cheryl protested.

“You are!” Isabella whispered harshly. “If you want the goddess to change her view of you, you can’t act like you did last time.”

“I wasn’t going to-” Cheryl retorted when Isabella continued.

“You were about to throw yourself in front of her the moment she arrived! Like you did last time!” Isabella explained seriously. 

Cheryl’s eyes lit up in realization. For a few moments, she was conflicted before she let out a sigh. She hung her head dejectedly as she made her way back to her seat. 

When Isabella turned her eyes to the goddess who was exchanging greetings with the archbishop, she heard the muted whisper from Cheryl. “Thank you.”

Isabella smiled faintly as she glanced at Cheryl. “You’re welcome.”

Lady Ezme, you owe me one! Isabella thought as she looked back to the goddess.

“Goddess…” Cheryl muttered with a voice filled with longing while Lady Ezme spoke with the archbishop.

Letting out a sigh, Isabella nodded in agreement while licking the goddess with her eyes. We are blessed.

 

_______________

 

Fortunately, once the award ceremony for the soldiers began, Cheryl became distracted. However, her occasional comments made it abundantly clear how she was attempting to grab the goddess’ attention.

“-of course, it is only to be expected! Our soldiers fought for the glory of our benevolent goddess, after all!” Cheryl proudly proclaimed.

This is going to be a long day. Isabella sighed as she glanced back at Lady Ezme, who sat with the archbishop in the specially made throne that would let her rest her wings.

Seated behind and above them, the goddess had a clear view of not only the arena, but also the audience. While Isabella had taken part in planning where the goddess would be seated, she had overlooked one important point.

If she wanted to look at the goddess, she now had to turn around. Something that Cheryl had been quick to scold her for, once the goddess had seated herself. 

{“Fool! How are we supposed to be able to watch her secretly now?! Next time, I’ll handle the seating arrangements!” (Cheryl)}

A feeling of dissatisfaction washed over her as she saw how the goddess was pleasantly speaking with the archbishop. 

I know I’m being greedy, but...I have helped the goddess a lot when it comes down to making the tournament and all.

Well, most of it was thanks to Lizzy, but still! She’s one of mine!

I did so much, but I’m still being treated just as all other participants when it comes to the rewards…

Isabella sighed. I know I’m being selfish. But I thought we had a connection…

It’s not like I’m asking to be specially honored or anything, but...shouldn’t I be entitled to some kind of reward for my efforts?

My kingdom worked the hardest to make this happen before Cheryl showed her approval and joined the effort. 

...But the goddess is benevolent. Maybe I can simply ask-

Her thoughts were interrupted by the light that suddenly appeared next to Lady Ezme. When she blinked, the light had become a golden portal. 

The goddess seemed unsurprised, and even stuck her hand into the portal. Once her hand withdrew, she was holding a large glass bowl, filled to the brim with small, puffy white things. 

While the portal disappeared, Lady Ezme picked up one of the puffy things from the bowl she placed in her lap and put it in her mouth.

Isabella stared wide-eyed as the realization hit her. That was the portal that Lady Amara used! I heard it was described as a golden disk, but...it was far more beautiful than I expected.

And what is the goddess eating?!

Before she realized, Isabella had already made her way from her seat to the center path and up the stairs to stand before the goddess. “Lady Ezme.”

Lady Ezme smiled at her and nodded in greeting. “Princess.”

“Forgive me for asking, but...what are you eating?” Isabella asked curiously. 

The goddess glanced down at the bowl before she replied. “Popcorn. Want to try it?”

As Isabella nodded enthusiastically, the goddess held out the bowl to her. Picking one of them up, Isabella studied it between her fingers before placing it in her mouth. Oh my!

“Good, isn’t it?” The goddess asked with a wry smile.

“Yes!” Isabella replied while staring at the popcorn. Do I dare ask for more?

Fortunately for her she didn’t need to, as the goddess merely shook her head with an amused smile before getting one of the attending priests to bring another bowl.

With a small bowl of popcorn in her hands, Isabella smiled brightly. “Thank you!” 

“You’re welcome. Enjoy.” Lady Ezme replied.

“How are these made?” Isabella asked curiously while studying the popcorns in greater detail.

“It’s in the name. You make them by popping corn.” The goddess replied with a smile. Seeing Isabella’s confused expression, Lady Ezme sighed. “You...right. You don’t have corn here, do you?”

Isabella shook her head. “I’ve never heard of it.”

“Right.” The goddess smiled at her. “Corn is a crop that can be found on Amara’s homeworld.”

Really?! A new kind of crop?! Isabella looked down at the bowl in her hands with conflicting emotions. ...Would it be rude to ask? 

“...You want this crop, don’t you?” The goddess asked with a sigh.

Isabella nodded hopefully. 

“You said it yourself, that I shouldn’t show favoritism.” Lady Ezme said sternly.

“Right.” Isabella hesitated and lowered her head. “However...I feel that because of all the help that I and my kingdom did to get the tournament started…”

She heard the goddess sigh. “I understand. I’d like to help, but I don’t think I can without the others complaining.”

“I know…” Isabella sighed dejectedly. But it still feels unfair.

“But...” Lady Ezme put a finger on her cheek as she smiled. “I suppose you helped to spread my name and garner support for me through your books. As I understand it, it has become quite widespread.”

Isabella nodded enthusiastically in agreement. “Indeed I did!”

“So I guess that is reason enough to reward you. I’ll speak to Amara about it.” The goddess crossed her arms before turning her eyes to the distance with a complicated look. “Though I’ll have to explain to her what books I’m talking about when I get back. She’s probably confused...and once she knows, she’ll most likely want to read them. ”

She has already read them though! Isabella retorted inwardly but held her tongue. 

Lady Ezme suddenly frowned and turned her eyes to Isabella. “What’s with that smug, knowing grin?”

Isabella shook her hands in a panic. “Goddess! I...I was merely taken aback! To even suggest Lady Amara might enjoy my-”

“Stop.” The goddess’ eyes narrowed as she leaned forward and rested her chin against her fist. “What is it that you know that I don’t?”

Isabella paled. “N-nothing!” 

“Princess.” The goddess’ grey eyes suddenly started glowing. “Tell me.”

Cold sweat broke out on Isabella’s back. Forgive me, Lady Amara.

“Lady Ezme…” Isabella gulped audibly. “Lady Amara already knows of my work.”

“Really, now?” The goddess narrowed her eyes and leaned back in her chair to appraise Isabella with narrowed eyes. “For how long?”

“...Since the beginning.” Isabella admitted as she hung her head. 

“Before that time you asked me to deliver your work to her?” Lady Ezme asked.

“...Yes.” Isabella’s head hung lower.

“I see. I. See.” The goddess said in a dangerous tone. 

I’m screwed. Isabella thought as she felt too afraid to look up at the goddess. 

“In that case, all of the...suggestions on what I should do that came from those books…” The goddess spoke with a complicated voice. “...Amara already knew of them beforehand?”

Isabella nodded and glanced up at the goddess that had blushed with embarrassment. “Yes, Lady Ezme.”

“I see.” The goddess looked at her with narrowed eyes. “I believe some punishment is in order.”

Punishment?! She has never punished anyone for anything before! “L-Lady Ezme. I-” Isabella stammered.

“Perhaps I should confiscate all of the pictures.” The goddess interrupted coldly.

NOOOOOOO!! Isabella fell to her knees as she pleaded. “G-g-g-goddess! P-please! N-not my p-p-paintings!” 

“Yes, I believe confiscating the pictures will do nicely.” Lady Ezme replied with a faint, sadistic smile on her face.

“No!” Isabella exclaimed and looked up at the goddess with moist eyes. “Please! I...I have more information!” 

The goddess frowned. “Oh? There’s more?”

Forgive me Lady Amara, but I can’t live without those paintings! Isabella drew a deep breath. “Some of the scenes in my books were Lady Amara’s suggestions!”

The goddess’ eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yes!” Isabella exclaimed. “I believe that she realized that you used my books as inspiration, and was trying to influence your actions by giving me her suggestions!” 

The goddess’ face reddened before she lowered her head. “...Really, now. So I am taken for a fool. I really must give out proper punishment.” 

“L-Lady Ezme…” Isabella stammered anxiously.

“Oh, not you. You don’t have to worry.” The goddess said with a strange smile as she raised her head. “But I expect you not to keep such things from me in the future.”

“Yes!” Isabella lowered her head. “Please forgive me, I won’t make the same mistake again.”

“Good.” The goddess answered curtly. 

As Lady Ezme fell silent, Isabella asked hopefully. “...May I keep my paintings?”
“Hmm. I-” The goddess’ reply was interrupted by the appearance of a new portal. Lady Ezme smiled wryly as she reached in, pulling out a glass with a straw in it. Isabella started as the brightly coloured drink appeared to be boiling - yet the condensation on the outside of the glass told that the glass had to be cold. 

What is that?!

While Isabella was enchanted by the appearance of the otherworldly beverage, the goddess spoke with amusement in the direction of the portal that had vanished. “You’re still getting punished, Amara. Thoroughly.”

Noticing the Lady Ezme’s voice was far more flirtatious than she would have expected, Isabella’s face heated up. ...Oh my. OH MY. 

While the ideas for her next chapter started to run rampant in her head, the goddess drank from the straw. Suddenly she turned her eyes to Isabella and clicked her tongue as she muttered. “Pervert.”

“I apologize, Lady Ezme.” Isabella bowed her head in embarrassment. 

“...Since you’re so good at coming up with things even while speaking with me, write a new chapter for me. Don’t let Amara read it.” The goddess’ tone suddenly turned sadistic. “Make sure the punishment meted out is greater than before. Succeed, and you may keep your paintings.”

“Yes! I will!” Isabella replied enthusiastically. “Thank you!”

Forgive me, Lady Amara.

But I shall make it up to you with this chapter! 

 

 

33