74 – Devil’s Game, Part 9 & Epilogue
631 9 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Amara.] (Amin)

Amara let out a long sigh. [Another one?]

[Yeah.] (Amin)

Why do they all have to come the night before the conference?! Amara sighed and leaned back in her chair inside the armory. Putting her feet on the table, she activated Farsight and soon arrived at Levan; and found a young noblewoman sitting across from Amin in a drawing room. [So, who’s this?]

[Princess Anabelle of Hoia.] (Amin)

Watching the fidgeting princess, Amara groaned internally. [It better not be another matchmaking request…] (Amara)

[She said it's related to her kingdom’s future, so I suppose it could be. But it doesn’t seem like it.] (Amin)

[Oh?] Amara let out a sigh of relief and smiled. [Finally, someone whose request isn’t something selfish!]

[I wouldn’t be too sure about that.] (Amin)

“Lady Amara, I…let me first apologize for my behavior during the last conference.” Anabelle said hesitantly after Amin’s gesture. “I hope you can understand that due to the political situation and the uncertainties at the time...some of us made the wrong choice.”

‘Some’ meaning everyone except for Andrew, Campbell and Aleesha…

“Lady Amara is well aware of your situation at the time and says it's all water under the bridge now.” Amin replied with a friendly smile.

[Is it? I mean, everyone was calling me a demon…] (Amara)

[Holding grudges won’t make it better, so shut up.] (Amin)

[Rude!] (Amara)

Anabelle let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Lady Amara. It is truly a relief to hear that, as I have felt overcome with guilt for a long time.”

[Maybe she’s alright…] (Amara)

[She’s just saying it because she needs your help.] When Amin spoke aloud with a friendly smile, there wasn’t a single trace of the scornful tone he had when speaking with Amara. “You said you needed Lady Amara’s guidance?”

Anabelle nodded. “Indeed. I’m sure that you’re both aware about the war between Hoia and the Empire that is still ongoing? You see…I want this war to end. All it will do is bring unnecessary deaths and suffering. Hoia is more than willing to sue for peace, but…”

Amara twisted her lips. [Your mother hasn’t exactly been willing to come to the table, eh?]

[Doing that would go against what she wants to achieve.] (Amin)

“Lady Amara, I heard that you have a…close?...relationship with Her Majesty, and she has accepted to fulfill many of the things you have requested of her. I was hoping that perhaps you could convince her to consider a peaceful resolution to this war.” Anabelle bowed her head deeply at Amin before she added. “Please.”

Watching the princess plead to her, Amara felt a bit uncomfortable. But she couldn’t disagree with the purpose of Anabelle’s request. To be honest, I’m not fond of war. But…would Celene be willing to give up on her desire to conquer Teyrin?

[You could always ask and see what she wants in exchange.] (Amin)

Amara crossed her arms and twisted her lips in displeasure. Bargaining with the empress over the last few months since they had their first conversation had made Amara feel defeated. [I still owe her a favor for taking in the surviving rul’magans as citizens of the empire.]

[Well, you didn’t have to ask her to do that.] (Amin)

[And then what?] Amara snarled. [They were victims just as much as the humans! The manipulative goddess, whoever it was, that approached Celene also incited the rul’magans to summon demons! How would the survivors be treated by the humans once they find out that the rul’magans were behind it, even those responsible was a group of radicals that was suppressing their own people?!]

[Just saying. Leaving them would have been an option.] (Amin)

[A stupid option.] Amara let out a sigh and glanced at the princess that was growing increasingly anxious as the seconds passed by, evidently believing that Amara would deny her request. [Tell her I’ll talk to Celene, but I can’t promise anything.]

A wide smile spread on the princess’ face as Amin relayed her words. “Thank you, Lady Amara! Truly! I don’t know how to thank you enough!”

After Amin politely received the princess’ gratitude on Amara’s behalf, he escorted her to the door. But rather than leave, the princess suddenly began to act coyly. 

“Umh…Prince Amin…would you perhaps like to have tea with me some time…?” (Anabelle)

…Oh my.

Amin smiled politely at her, completely unfazed by the offer. “Thank you kindly for the offer, but please allow me to consider it, my lady. I mean no disrespect, but I’ll be quite busy in the near future.”

“...Oh. I see.” Anabelle was visibly dejected as she curtsied. “Well, do let me know should you find the time. I’d be more than happy to get to know our prophet better.”

“Certainly, my lady.” (Amin)

Once Amin was left alone, Amara couldn’t hold back any longer. [Ring the bells! Spring has come to the prophet!]

[Shut it.] Amin replied dryly.

[His time in the prison of celibacy had finally come to an end, as the princess bravely took the first step into the dark, to rescue him from the eternal abyss of scorn and sarcasm-] (Amara)

[Amara! Shut it!!] Amin groaned and held his forehead. [It’s not going to happen!]

[Why? She’s a looker! And a princess! Besides, it’s not like you’ve made any progress with Aleesha!] (Amara)

[She has no interest in me!] Amin retorted. [She just wants to approach me as insurance. If she manages to get married to me, the empress would be less likely to continue the war!]

Amara raised an eyebrow. [If that’s the case, then why doesn’t she try to bag a marriage with your brother? The crown prince?]

[She’s either tried already, or doesn’t believe she’d succeed.] Amin shrugged. [After all, her kingdom has little to offer in the way of a political marriage with my brother. Maybe they could have done that before the war, but now it's less likely. I'm on a safer road to success.]

[...I guess.] Amara scratched her head. [You seem quite adept at rejecting people, you know?]

[She wasn’t the first, nor will she be the last. Even if I’m not an heir, I’m a prince, which is more than enough to some.] (Amin)

[That’s an unhealthy attitude. What if someone genuinely likes you? What if she did?] (Amara)

[Then it’s my loss. In any case, I’m not interested in her.] (Amin)

Amara shook her head. [And thus, the rescue attempt ended in failure. Will he ever break free from the gloomy prison? Tune in next week and find out-]

[Shut up.] (Amin)

_______________

 

“Big brother!” A young man with short, burning red hair just like Celene’s welcomed Amin with a large smile. As he pulled the stiff Amin into a tight hug, Amara’s eyes widened in surprise. 

[That’s the crown prince? He’s friendly.] (Amara)

[Yes. Luke.] Amin smiled stiffly as he was freed from Luke’s affectionate embrace. “Your highness. Didn’t expect to see you here.”

The smile vanished from Luke’s face as he narrowed his eyes in a way that made the resemblance between him and his mother even more apparent. The two brothers stared at each other for a while before Amin let out a sigh.

“...Brother.” (Amin)

The grin returned to Luke’s face as he let out a chuckle. “It’s good that you remembered, or I’d have to put you in the dungeons to straighten you out. Anyway!” Luke slapped Amin’s shoulder, pulling him into the room. “I decided to crash the conference. After all, by the sounds of it, you might not be coming home. Who knows when I’ll get to see you next time.”

Amin shrugged. “Maybe I can ask if Vandelor is willing to travel back with you so we could teleport between the capital and Levan in the future.”

“Perfect! Do that!” Luke exclaimed brightly.

[You guys seem close.] Amara commented as the two men went inside, where Celene sat drinking tea eyeing the pair with a gentle gaze as they entered.

[...We grew up together, I suppose. But our positions have always been different.] Amin bowed his head to Celene in greeting before getting seated.  

Both Amara and Celene sat silently as they listened while Luke was catching up with Amin. During the conversation, Amin didn’t talk much other than to respond to the crown prince’s questions, but it was clear that Luke treated Amin as family. When Luke laughed at one of Amin’s sarcastic remarks, a faint smile could be seen on Amin’s face. 

[You know, I thought you guys would have a piss-poor relationship since you never talked about him.] (Amara)

[...I guess I wasn’t sure what our relationship was like after Her-...after the misunderstanding.] Amin replied.

“Amin? Is something wrong?” Luke gave Amin a concerned look. “If I said something that offended you, I-”

Amin quickly waved his hand. “Nothing like that. Amara was speaking to me.”

“Oh, Lady Amara is here?” A smile spread on Luke’s face. “Where…exactly…?”

As Amin pointed with his thumb at the empty air next to him, Luke rose from his seat and made a bow that could only be described as graceful. “My greetings to you, Lady Amara, The Guardian of Teyrin.”

Amara cocked her head curiously. [Quite the gentleman. It’s a surprise you’re even brothers.] 

[Whatever.] (Amin) 

“...What did she say?” (Luke)

Amin snorted. “She said that your polite attitude makes you come across as pretentious.”
[I didn’t say that!!] Amara retorted.

[He won’t know. Besides, you don’t want excessively polite people around you all the time. It’s better if he loosens up.] (Amin)

However, contrary to Amin’s words, a grin spread on Luke’s face. “I see. Well, regardless, I fear I must apologize on behalf of my dear brother’s insolent attitude. Even if you prefer a more informal setting, Lady Amara, I suspect he will have already tested your patience on more than one occasion.”

Amara burst into laughter, while Amin sipped on his tea as he ignored the jab Luke had thrown at him.

Celene was stirring in her teacup with a spoon as she suddenly spoke for the first time since Amin’s arrival. “If Amara is here, then I suspect she wishes to speak with me.”

Amin nodded as he put his tea cup on the table and looked at her. “Yes. More specifically, she’s wondering whether you’d be willing to end the war with Hoia. Though, I suspect she wants you to stop wars with other countries all together.” Amin shrugged and glanced towards the empty spot where Amara was watching through Farsight. “Right?”

[Right.] (Amara)

Celene smiled wryly as she raised her cup to her lips. “And why should I do that?”

[Knew it. Here it comes! Damn bloodsucker!] (Amara)

Ignoring Amara’s comment, Amin shrugged again. “Because you have things you want as well.”

“Hmm.” Celene hummed as she circled the edge of her teacup with a finger. “I suppose I could. But if I do, Teyrin will remain divided. Amara, you would be able to make much more progress as well if I conquer all of the kingdoms. As my resources and manpower increase, so do yours.”

[I know that. But…maybe you could absorb the other kingdoms into the empire peacefully?] (Amara)

Celene supported her jaw with her fingertips as she listened to Amin retell Amara’s response. “I suppose it’s possible. But what are you willing to offer in return? And have you made a decision regarding the requests I made in response to bringing the rul’magans into the empire?”

Amara groaned internally before she replied. [...I’ll agree to developing exclusive spells and enchantments for you, but it depends on their purpose. And if someone else makes a similar bargain with me, they might request the same spells you did.]

Annoyance flashed in the empress’ eyes. “That is not what I requested.”

[Spells can ultimately be used as weapons, right? Which means their development and distribution needs to be monitored.] (Amara)

“Which is exactly why I’m requesting you to create these spells secretly for me. We need to find what the limits are, and what dangers spells can pose. This is ultimately in preparation for the war with the demons - any spells you can invent can also be invented by the demon lords, no?” (Celene)

I know that, but… Amara crossed her arms as she felt troubled. 

“Amara.” Celene suddenly smiled. “Let’s be honest with one another. You don’t trust me that much, do you?”

Amara thought for a moment before she replied. [I trust that you’re always acting with the future of your empire in mind.]

The empress burst into a clear and bright laughter at Amara’s response. Wiping the tears that emerged from her eyes, she smiled. “Very good!” Celene let out another chuckle.  “You’re right. I will always act in the best interests of the empire, and I don’t care about what methods I need to employ to reach my goals.” 

…And that’s the problem. Amara retorted internally.

Celene was silent for a moment as she fell into thought. “Amara, what I’m concerned about is the possible methods that could be employed against the empire, not just what I would use myself. Yes, some of the spells I want you to develop would be the kind that should probably never be used, and would be something you consider ‘war crimes’. But if we don’t find out what kind of spells can be made, and how to defend ourselves against them, someone else will do it later. It is better to be prepared.”

Amara clenched her fists under her arms. I know she’s right, but…damn it.

“Lady Amara.” Luke suddenly interrupted with a smile. “Since you can develop these spells, doesn’t that mean you could develop them with limits? Even if they were to spread by accident, it would mean that the damage they could inflict is limited.” 

Amara glanced at him in surprise through Farsight. [Amin…your brother is a genius!]

[I know. And so does he, so I won’t tell him.] (Amin)

Celene seemed somewhat pleased with the following suggestion Amara made that was inspired by her son, as she leaned her head against her fist with a mysterious smile on her face. “Very well. Then, should there be any spells that we both agree can be considered acceptable after testing, you will disclose an unbounded version for me. Agreed?”

[Agreed.] (Amara)

“Excellent.” Celene put her elbows on the table and rested her chin on her entwined fingers, with a smile that made a shiver run Amara’s spine when the empress continued. “Now we can discuss what you can offer me in exchange for negotiating a cease-fire with the kingdoms I’m still at war with.”

…Crap. Amara let out a long sigh. [Let’s hear it. What do you want?]

Celene smiled mysteriously in response. As the empress deliberately delayed her reply, Amin’s brother shook his head in amusement. 

“Quit torturing her, Your Majesty. You were already considering a cease-fire.” (Luke)

…What?

 Celene narrowed her eyes as she turned her eyes to her son. “Now you’re speaking unnecessary things.”

“I believe it would be better to have a relationship with the goddess to not only be one of mutual interest, but one of friendship as well.” Luke shrugged as he put down his tea cup and smiled at his mother. “Exploiting the goddess every time we get the chance won’t bode well for us in the long term.”

“I know that!” Celene snarled between her teeth. “And I’m not exploiting her!”

I disagree!

“I disagree, Your Majesty.” Luke said with a calm smile. “And even if you aren’t, it's a matter whether or not Lady Amara feels exploited.” 

Yes! Exactly! You go Luke!

[Should I tell him you’re his fan?] (Amin)

[Yes please!] (Amara)

[...Actually, I won’t. He doesn’t need a goddess to stroke his ego as well.] (Amin)

Celene narrowed her eyes as she looked at the crown prince, before clicking her tongue. Averting her eyes from her son, she muttered in a contemplating tone. “...Louisianne would be the better choice…”

“Your Majesty?” (Luke)

Celene glanced at him and waved her hand. “Don’t mind it.” The empress thought silently with twisted lips before letting out a sigh. “Well, Amara, you heard. I’m indeed considering a cease-fire, but even so, I’d like something in return. Something that would benefit all of us.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. [Which is…?]

“A study to classify demons.” Celene replied. “The demons consist of many different races, no? While they might seem weak to a goddess like yourself, almost every demon I’ve faced is stronger than humans. As such, we need to know what each race is capable of, what their weaknesses are, and so on. Like the dragon, that you said was a weak specimen, yet was strong enough to annihilate us had the Amaran Guard not arrived in time.” 

Amara cocked her head as she fell into thought. That’s true…[How do you suggest the study is made?] 

“According to Amin, you’re kidnapping demons on a daily basis, aren’t you? I’m guessing you’re using some kind of appraisal to select your opponents. Just write down all the information from your appraisals and categorize them by race, level and classes, even if you don’t intend to fight them.” Celene supported her jaw with her fingers as she added in a contemplative tone. “It would be beneficial to have some kind of study of their anatomy as well, but I take it you’re not an expert on the matter?”

Amara nodded to herself in agreement. I suppose it could be done…as for the anatomical study, maybe I could employ help from Ezme’s domain? They are already helping me by filling my mana-batteries for me, so maybe Princess Isabella would be willing to get some researchers for me too…

Once Amara had agreed to Celene’s request, the empress nodded approvingly. “Good. However, let me make one thing perfectly clear; I fully intend to have agents deployed in all nations. Preferably, in the other worlds as well.” 

Amara frowned. [I suppose spying on the other kingdoms on Teyrin makes sense, but why other worlds as well?] 

“Because of the false goddess.” Celene explained with a serious expression. “Since I wasn’t the only one she had approached, we should assume that she has approached others as well, besides myself and the rul’magans. And if that is the case…”

Amara clenched her fists. […We could have another demon outbreak.]

“Indeed.” Celene let out a sigh. “Whoever it is, be it a demon lord or not, her purpose is clear; to incite chaos and weaken us. We can’t let our guard down for a moment. If demons are discovered somewhere, I will go to war. And finding out when demons appear takes longer if it’s not in territory under my control, so you understand that I will be maintaining my army at the borders.”

Amara frowned. [If that’s the case, then why are you willing to negotiate a cease-fire at all?]

“Oh, it’s quite simple.” A smile spread on Celene’s face. “While I still have the largest army on Teyrin, we’ve suffered heavy casualties. I intend to replenish our numbers and mass-produce the weapons from your world. That way, when I do move to conquer the kingdoms in a decade or two, our losses will be minimal.”

Amara blinked as she looked at the empress, whose eyes were glimmering with glee. Luke shook his head with a wry smile after Celene’s declaration, while Amin drank from his tea cup as if what they were discussing was of no concern for him.

“Though, I suppose it would be even better if the people in the other kingdoms see how well the people in the Empire have it. It could be enough to start a rebellion…after which they’d join us, without us having to lift a finger.” Celene added in a contemplative tone. 

Luke shrugged his shoulders as he added a sugarcube into his tea. “True. Since the druids will only be servicing the Empire until others agree to implement Amara’s laws, there will be some dissent amongst the populace in the other kingdoms. And once they hear that everyone in the empire is equal before the law, all it would take is one foolish noble going too far once too many times.”

Celene nodded with a proud smile on her face, before glancing at Amin. “Supposing such a rebellion happens. Would you approve if we were to invade under the pretext of…what was it called again? Human-ee-tarian intervention?”

Amara could already see before her how the two before her were going to incite rebellion in the remaining kingdoms. Damn, these two are devious.

I’m not sure if I should be happy or upset that we’re ‘friends’...

[Happy. You should definitely be happy.] (Amin)

[I don’t know? It sort of feels like I’m making deals with the devil.] (Amara)

[Of course it does. It’s politics.] (Amin)

_______________

 

 

The third conference went a lot smoother than those before it, largely because all the representatives were far more hesitant to test the waters with Amara present and listening. The fact that they had just repelled an army of demons also played a part, as many had been reminded that their greatest enemy wasn’t anyone among those in the conference hall.

The attendees had both decreased and increased; there were far fewer human representatives present as a result of the kingdoms Celene had absorbed, but in their place were the dwarves, elves and centauri. Though as the leader of the centauri was more of a spiritual leader than a political one, he was seated - or rather, standing - with Amin, Zenon, Campbell as well as the dwarven pope, as part of the representatives of Amara.

Bored during the meeting, Amara noticed how Amin and Aleesha glanced at each other, only to immediately avert their eyes awkwardly if their gazes met. Suspicious of what it meant, Amara decided to probe Amin. 

[Amin…did you perhaps visit Aleesha after having tea with Celene and Luke?] (Amara)

Amin was silent for a while before he admitted. [I did.]

A grin spread on Amara’s face. [Oh-lalaa! And how-]

[She rejected me.] Amin replied curtly. 

Amara’s smile fell. [Oh. I’m sorry.]

After an awkward silence, Amara decided to ask. [Did she have a reason?]

Amin seemed annoyed by the question, but eventually replied. [...She was a bit taken aback as she hasn't considered such relationships yet since she’s still young. With our difference in life expectancy, it’s simply not possible.]

Young? She’s like…what, one hundred and fifty-something years old? Amara shook her head. [But she didn’t reject you because of…lack of interest?] 

Amin visibly sighed. [...No. But she intends to do what she can for her people and as your emissary, so she believes it would be cruel of her to make me wait for her.]

[Hey, that’s something!] Amara pointed out to cheer him up. [It means she doesn’t dislike you!]

[That just makes it worse.] (Amin)

Another awkward silence followed as Amara was unsure how to reply, as she couldn’t deny his view of it. But when an idea suddenly crossed her mind, she smiled wryly as she spoke in a teasing voice. [You know, there might be a way to extend your life expectancy.]

Amin raised his eyebrow skeptically, but his response was surprisingly sharp. [How?]

[There are some theories on Earth that say that we age because cells accumulate damage over time.] Amara shrugged. [You might be able to repair that damage with Divine Regeneration.]

Amin was silent for a moment before he suddenly snarled in her mind. [Why are you only telling me this now?!]

[Because I just thought of it?] Amara replied with a grin. 

Amin rolled his eyes. [So how would we know if it works?]

[Oh, that’d be easy.] Amara’s lips curved higher. [We just have to wait a few decades to see if you age.]

[In other words, there’s no way to know.] Amin pinched the bridge of his nose. [I should have guessed.]

[Hey, I just wanted to give you two a chance! Do with it what you will.] Amara shrugged.

Amin was silent for a while before he spoke quietly. [Amara, give me some divine power. I ran out.]

A grin spread on Amara’s face. [How rude! I’ll have you know that I’m a goddess, who you should praise for her wisdom and mercy if you-]

[I wonder what would happen if I said that prayers should be expressed while relieving bodily needs?] (Amin)

[Hello, did someone order divine power? Please sign on the dotted line!] (Amara)

 

 

_______________

 

 

Epilogue

Sophelia’s POV

Standing inside the champion’s chambers, Sophelia listened with amusement to the mortal meeting in the champion’s domain, where they were discussing the future and what their new goddess could do for them. While many of the mortal leaders were concerned about retaining their influence, it was already obvious that the champion had largely grasped dominion over three of the worlds. 

The champion was, as usual, oblivious to Sophelia’s presence as she was looking through the dimensions to witness the conference through magic. As the seraph watched her expressions change when the champion was in a conversation with her mouthpiece, Sophelia couldn’t help but feel troubled. 

How curious. Things didn’t go quite as I planned at all.

Sophelia was well aware where things had gone wrong. It began with the warning that came with the skill the champion was granted which allowed her to select and empower a mouthpiece. A warning which seemed to have been an oversight. 

Was warning her of its dangers a mistake? 

Sophelia cocked her head as she fell into thought. She needs to learn that in order to win, sacrifices are necessary. But the Thessinda’s descendant would have survived regardless, as she has both a strong body and mind.

Of course, the champion couldn’t have known that. But I thought she’d take the hint, since I informed her of the opportunity when the elves arrived on that world. Sophelia let out a faint sigh as she pushed the train of thought out of her head, as there wouldn’t be a right answer. I suppose she changed her target because she correctly judged that the elf was of more importance than the human, which makes for a good baseline. I can still work with that.

Sophelia sat down on the table in front of the champion, listening as the champion’s mouthpiece relayed the champion’s words to the other mortals at the meeting far away. Reading between the lines, it was obvious some of the mortals were concerned about whether or not the champion was being partial towards a certain someone. 

An amused smile spread on Sophelia’s face as she knew exactly who the mortals were referring to.

The chain of cause and effect is quite something. The champion chose the human as a mouthpiece, rather than the one I prepared for her as a result of that warning. 

And by coincidence, the human was the offspring of one of my seeds of chaos. That caused the mortal queen to hesitate, which made her doubt. In turn, that made it easy for the champion to gain control of that world, since the seed began contemplating whether to ally with the champion and eventually did. 

Had the champion selected anyone else, things would have been a lot harder. She would have had to reclaim the world from her own people, as was intended.

Sophelia picked up a cup from the table, which was filled with a warm, black beverage - the same one that Morpheus had taken a liking to. While taking her time to drink the contents of the cup, the champion suddenly reached out for the cup that was no longer on the table. As the champion was carefully flailing blindly with her hand while she was still looking at the mortal world, Sophelia carefully placed the cup back in its original spot. 

Truly, the champion is clueless. Another lesson that needs to be learned.

But not yet. The best lessons are the most painful ones.

When the champion’s hand eventually found the cup, Sophelia cocked her head and watched the champion drink as she fell in thought. Then again, the mortal queen wouldn’t have sent her offspring to spy on the champion’s faith if I hadn’t whispered in her ear. If I hadn’t made her one of my seeds, she would have likely welcomed the champion as their goddess.

So it wasn’t all coincidence. One could almost call it…fate? Sophelia’s scoffed at the thought, though no sound was emitted. But fate doesn’t exist. Even if it does, then either I’m the master of fate, or it exists to be broken.

When the champion placed the cup back on the table, Sophelia waited until the champion had leaned back in her seat before picking up the cup. Looking down at the near-empty cup, Sophelia reached for the pot and carefully refilled it to the brim. In any case, the champion overcame her first lesson too easily. She learned far too little compared to what I had intended for her. And the remaining seeds of chaos won’t be able to make up for it, now that she has largely claimed dominion of that world. 

Placing the pot back on the table she deliberately left it slightly out of place as a clue, even though she knew the champion would likely never notice. Watching the champion silently, Sophelia’s expression grew troubled once again.

How should I teach you to accept that widespread death and suffering is a must to achieve your goals, champion? 

[Ding-dong!]

Sophelia silently placed the cup back on the table, just in time before focus returned to the champion’s eyes. Not even bothering to look at the table, the champion turned her head and smiled widely at the angel that emerged in the alcove.

“Welcome home, Fluffles.” (Amara)

“How’s the conference?” The small angel jumped over the back of the furniture the champion was sitting on, immediately nuzzling against the mortal’s neck. 

The champion embraced the angel with an affectionate smile. “It’s boring. The nobles are nagging, and the dwarves are greedy.”

Sophelia scowled silently at the champion. It’s a perfect opportunity for you to gauge the intent of your supposed allies, champion. 

A piece of clothing suddenly came flying at Sophelia, which landed over her head. Despite being perfectly hidden, nobody could perfectly remove themselves from the material plane without dying - and thus, Sophelia temporarily became an invisible hatstand.

Letting out a faint sigh as she removed the piece that covered her face, Sophelia saw that unsurprisingly, neither her young sibling nor the champion had noticed the floating garment before Sophelia removed it, as they were locking lips and completely immersed in sending more pieces of clothing flying through the room. I suppose the champion is young, and still finding her bearings. She isn’t naive either, so she will learn if given time. 

But is the time she has been given enough?

Sophelia smiled in amusement as she silently left the champion’s chambers to leave the pair to their indulgences. 

However, it’s a shame that Thessinda’s descendant didn’t become the champion’s prophet. It would have been poetic. But there is no such thing as a perfect play.

It’s sufficient if the implication of her existence becomes the final crack that makes the foundation of Alarice’s convictions crumble.

22