SS47 – Ezme – Just Another Day As A Glorious Goddess, Part 2
296 10 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering the throne room, a shiver ran up Ezme’s spine. Even at a distance, her Father’s dormant presence was intense enough to make her think twice about what she intended to do - just like mortals would sometimes question whether they really needed to go out into the biting winds of winter, after spending the morning in comfortable warmth.

Not that the cold winds were any actual issue for an angel like herself. 

As she approached the throne, Ezme’s footsteps rang clear in the complete silence. With each step she felt increasingly smaller, despite being an angel - a being that stood at the top of creation, after the gods. During the solitary walk, she realized this was the third time she was about to be in an audience with her Father and the Firstborn. 

The first time had been when she was created. Eons ago, Ezme had woken up on the floor before the throne with her physical vessel completed; her eldest sister welcoming her into the fold as the newest sibling. With no understanding of who or what she was yet, nor any of her divine senses properly developed, the significance of that moment had completely passed her by. 

The second time had been after selecting Amara as a champion. Once she had made her choice, Ezme had been ordered to come to the throne room when they were ready to wake Amara up. But even then, she had been acting under orders, and the attention hadn't really been on her. 

This time it was different. She had come to make a request. It was insolent, no matter how one looked about it. 

Ezme swallowed as her throat suddenly felt dry. Raising her gaze, she saw her Father resting with his cheek against his fist upon the throne. And next to him stood Sophelia - a warm, gentle smile on her face as she silently welcomed her. 

A welcome that seemed to be her only consolation and hope that Ezme’s request would be granted. 

“Welcome, sister.” Sophelia greeted in a gentle tone as Ezme finally reached the throne. Tilting her head, the seraph gave Ezme an appraising look. “You wished to speak with me.”

Ezme swallowed again and glanced at their Father. With amusement tugging on his lips and with his eyes closed, he looked as if he was pleasantly dreaming. 

“Greetings, sister Sophelia, Father. I…uhm…” Ezme had been hesitant to pursue her request after Sophelia had told her to meet her in the throne room, and now her doubts were resurfacing. She didn’t know why Sophelia wanted her to make her request in their Father’s presence. A part of her felt like it was meant to discourage her to make private requests, and to remind her of her place. 

Ezme was an angel, and with that fact came both power and responsibilities. And their foremost responsibility had always been to keep the mortals safe. In that regard, the request Ezme wanted to make could be considered a double edged knife. 

“Sister.” Sophelia’s admonishing voice interrupted Ezme’s despairing thoughts. “As you well know, we are in the middle of a war.”

A shudder went through Ezme’s being as she lowered her gaze. …It’s as I feared. They don’t want me to waste their time with something like this. I’m not meant to make any selfish requests-

Ezme cut off her train of thought. No. I have to make this request. Even if Sophelia and Father refuse-

No. I have to convince them. I will convince them. 

Ahrina is our greatest hope. Even if she isn’t allowed to keep the forbidden knowledge, she needs to be allowed to continue living. She can’t simply be…replaced!!

Clenching her fists as her determination grew, Ezme raised her gaze to meet Sophleia’s gentle gaze. “Sister Sophelia, I came to make a request. It may partly be selfish in nature, but I must make it nonetheless.” 

A warm smile spread on Sophelia’s face as she repeated. “We are in the middle of a war.”

Ezme nodded as she clenched her fists tighter. “I know that, but-”

“And for us to have the courage to continue in this war…” Sophelia continued before closing her eyes. “...we must stay true to our hearts. One could say, it is from where our courage arises.” 

Ezme blinked as she looked at Sophelia, dumbfounded as the words sank in. The Firstborn’s eyes slowly reopened as she looked at Ezme. “A lesson you have learned well after choosing to follow your own path.”

Ezme’s eyes widened in surprise after her initial confusion settled. “This…this was a test?”

“Indeed.” Sophelia’s gentle smile grew higher as she closed her eyes again. When she spoke, Sophelia’s voice was laced with the authority she held as the eldest and wisest of the angels. “Your request has been approved. So have all your future requests, until you are told otherwise.”

“...Approved?” Ezme blinked as she stared at Sophelia in confusion. “I didn’t even say what the request was?”

“Sister.” Sophelia’s warm tone held faint amusement as she opened her eyes. “You are an angel. We all strive to fulfill our duty, whether we act united or independently, by the norm or unorthodox means. You do not need to make requests to fulfill your duty. Whether it has selfish benefits for yourself as well or not is of no consequence.”

“I…” Ezme lowered her gaze as she considered. I still need to inform them that Ahrina possesses forbidden knowledge. It seems…too important to ignore, if I don’t get actual confirmation for it now I’m just asking for trouble.

Ezme nodded to herself as she again raised her gaze to meet Sophelia’s. “What about if it relates to forbidden knowledge? What if someone that is one of our allies, learns about it?”

Sophelia was silent for a moment as she looked at Ezme with a gentle gaze. “There is no need to concern yourself with that. That duty is mine.”

Ezme frowned. “But…”

The Firstborn averted her eyes as she seemed to look into the distance. “The champion is exempted from the rule, and is allowed to learn what she can about it if she chooses to, in order to make up for her otherwise lack of strength to compete with the Devourer’s champion. And since that is the case, some leaks related to forbidden knowledge are inevitable.” Sophelia returned her gentle gaze to Ezme. “But those leaks are being carefully monitored when they happen and dealt with depending on the circumstances of each case.”

Ezme’s frown deepened. Monitored? But she hasn’t come to Amara’s chambers at all. “I don’t think that you understand, sister Sophelia. There is someone specific that has learnt forbidden knowledge, and I need to make sure whether or not she is allowed...”

A sudden stream of information entered Ezme’s mind. The stream was so short that the bell rang in Ezme’s mind almost instantly.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Sophelia, Keeper of Forbidden Knowledge

Description: You have been appointed by the mightiest beings in existence as keeper of the knowledge they have deemed forbidden.

Passive Effect: Directional awareness of the location of those with the title Learner of Forbidden Knowledge.

Requirements to obtain: Be appointed by the highest order of beings through majority consensus. Title is unique, and can not be owned by more than one individual at any one time.

Conditions to keep: Title remains until ceded or all forbidden knowledge has been purged from memory.

[collapse]

Appointed by the highest order of beings? As in the gods?

And by majority consensus? Doesn’t that mean that there are more gods in Father’s faction than in the Devourer’s, and for most of those - if not all - to agree?

I wonder if the other gods are anything like our Father…

Wait, awareness of…she knows about Ahrina!

As if she had read her thoughts, Sophelia’s words confirmed Ezme’s conclusion. “As you can see, I am already aware of the existence of who you speak of and deemed it permissible due to her close relationship to the champion. For the moment.” Sophelia said calmly. “Should that change I will take whatever action is appropriate.”

Ezme tore her eyes from the blue screen to look at her sister. “...I understand. What would be considered…non permissible?”

Sophelia watched her silently before she replied. “For now, attempting to spread forbidden knowledge to anyone else would be unacceptable. That includes yourself. What the champion and the sentient golem discuss with regards to forbidden knowledge stays between them.”

Ezme nodded in understanding, before she was struck by a realization. “Doesn’t this mean that you’re allowing Ahrina to keep that knowledge to…help Amara? You said Amara is allowed to learn forbidden knowledge to bridge the gap, and you’re expecting her to discuss it with Ahrina, so-”

“I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean, sister.” Sophelia interrupted with a faint, amused smile as she closed her eyes. “Nobody but you is permitted to assist the champion by the rules of the armistice.”

But allowing them to talk about it means that Amara has someone who can give her ideas! I don’t know what forbidden knowledge is, other than that it has to have something to do with the fact that Amara can wield both mana and divine power. But I haven’t been considering it deeply either, because we’re not supposed to. 

But if Ahrina is allowed… 

In truth, Ezme wasn’t sure whether Ahrina being allowed to learn forbidden knowledge to help Amara was enough, since they would essentially have the same knowledge. But the thought that she had someone who could help her, however little, could make the difference between Amara’s victory and loss in the end, if Amara’s survival depended on learning forbidden knowledge.

Without realizing it, a large smile had spread on Ezme’s face. After quickly bringing her expression under control, Ezme bowed her head. “Thank you, sister Sophelia. Truly, this means a lot to me.”

“My, I rarely get such genuine gratitude for having done nothing.” Sophelia replied with warm amusement. “If that is all, you may return to your duties.”

For a moment Ezme wanted to retort that it was Sophelia’s choice of doing nothing that was important, but she quickly realized that Sophelia already considered the matter concluded. Despite her efforts to control her face, she was unable to keep the curve of her lips down. “Yes, sister Sophelia.” With a last glance at their Father - who had been silent throughout the conversation, and still had his eyes closed as if he were sleeping - Ezme turned towards the exit.

As she was leaving, Ezme’s steps felt incredibly light. I did it!

…Well, not exactly, but Ahrina is safe!

And she will be allowed to help Amara too!

Upon reaching the gate to the throne room, Ezme glanced over her shoulder one last time to thank Sophelia. As she did, the smile she had kept consistently for a while quickly faded.

Both Sophelia and her Father were how they had been; Sophelia had a warm smile on her face, and her Father sat upon the throne with his cheek against his fist.

But his pale lips had set into a flat line, and his eyes had opened to emotionlessly gaze at Ezme. 

A shudder went through Ezme as the weight of her Father’s gaze suffocated her. After a short period of panic, she turned and bowed to her Father and eldest sister before exiting the room. 

Only once the gate to the throne room was beyond several corners did Ezme begin to feel relaxed. No matter how she thought of it, her Father’s gaze had felt something akin to a warning.

Right. Forbidden knowledge is not a joking matter. 

Just because Ahrina is allowed to know, it doesn’t mean that she should

I’ll need to be strict with her so she doesn't get any ideas. Not even as a joke.

Especially not as a joke. Amara is bad enough as it is.

15