Chapter 59 – Conditions
1.5k 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On April 12, 1848, taking the opportunity of Prince Windisch-Grätz’s absence, an uprising broke out in Prague. Thanks to the cooperation of the local nobles and capitalists, the city of Prague fell to the revolutionaries in one fell swoop.

“Mr. Kaminsky, bad news: the arsenal is empty. I heard that the corrupt government officials sold all the ammunition inside; what are we going to do now?” Kliment asked, afraid.

Their plan hinged on seizing the weapons and ammunition in Prague’s armory and using that to repel the Prince Windisch-Grätz’s imminent siege, but now the foundation of their plan had collapsed.

Mikuláš Kaminsky blurted out, “You’re lying!”

This had to be a lie. Even if the government officials were corrupt, it was impossible for them to sell off all of the weapons and ammunition in the city. Mikuláš Kaminsky was having a premonition; a very terrifying premonition. This uprising had gone so smoothly that it seemed too good to be true. They had encountered little resistance while taking Prague. If he still failed to see it, Mikuláš Kaminsky would be just a mere fool.

Nevertheless, a rebellion was not a joke nor was a revolution a dinner party. No matter whether this was a trap or not, it was impossible for him to back out now. Even if he knew that he was walking into a trap, Mikuláš Kaminsky had no choice but to follow his plan to the end.

Mikuláš Kaminsky had no choice but to go forward with his plans, but that did not mean that others had no choice, either. Well-informed nobles had already become aware that the revolutionaries lacked weapons and ammunition, not to mention public support. There was no longer any possibility that their revolution would succeed. Moreover, they also lacked any bargaining chips to negotiate with the Viennese government.

Even though most nobles in Bohemia were part of Germany proper, meaning they were inextricably linked to the nobles in Vienna, such a connection was not enough to absolve their crime of rebellion and high treason. After all, most nobles in Europe shared a common ancestor in Charlemagne, but that didn’t mean they considered each other as a part of their family or even relatives.

 

***

 

Inside a luxurious mansion in the center of Prague, seven exquisitely-dressed middle-aged men were gathered. If a local saw them, he would immediately realize that these seven men were big shots within Prague and all of Bohemia.

Currently, however, these “big shots” had flustered expressions on their faces, lacking their previously elegant demeanor. If anyone saw them in their current state, it would be enough to send shock waves throughout Prague. After all, what could possibly cause these important men to look so scared?

“Count Waldstein, what are we going to do? I’m afraid the traitors amongst us have already exposed our actions to the Viennese government!”

“Count Borovský, do not worry. We didn’t personally participate in this rebellion. At most, there were just some youngsters or cadet branch members of our families involved, which leaves us with enough room to maneuver.

As long as we help Prince Windisch-Grätz suppress the rebellion, we can clear our names. The Viennese government cannot execute nobles simply based on suspicion!” Count Waldstein replied as he tried his best to appear calm.

The nobles were not worried about selling out the revolutionaries. It was nothing more than abandoning a few offspring. What truly worried them was the thought that the Viennese government might deal with them afterward.

Under normal circumstances, nobles were not killed in Europe, but if an accident occurred on the battlefield, no one would be the wiser. Prince Windisch-Grätz’s plan was a mystery to them, but it was clear that since he had even used Prague as bait, he expected to catch many big fish.

Count Waldstein’s statement obviously failed to reassure the other six men. If it was any other crime, they might somehow manage to absolve themselves through the use of their connections and relations, but it seemed unlikely this time.

In fact, they had just wanted to use the revolution to obtain greater autonomy and more privileges, their actions constituted a rebellion in the eyes of the Viennese government. Since ancient times, traitors and rebels had never been let off easily.

Count Borovský frowned and said, “Count Waldstein, we might somehow manage to keep our lives since we did not directly participate in rebellion, but the Viennese government will surely make us pay a huge price for support the rebels.

All of us sitting here have diversified businesses. Many factories in Prague seemingly belong to capitalists, but, in fact, the seven of us hold a significant equity within most of them.

Even if the Viennese government directly confiscates all of our property, we won’t be able to raise any objections. It is even possible that they might directly involve us in the rebellion if Prince Windisch-Grätz believes that we were involved in the rebellion.

You all must be aware of the consequences suffered by the nobles involved in the rebellion in Vienna. Many prestigious noble houses, due to the participation of youngsters in the rebellion, were accused of being involved in the rebellion, and ultimately, they were deprived of their titles and property!”

His voice trembled when he spoke the last bit. Obviously, he was worried that a repeat of Vienna would take place in Prague.

The nobles of Germany proper might be related, but the interests of the nobles in different places differed. The nobles of Bohemia wanted to obtain greater autonomy and decentralization. However, the nobles of Vienna hoped to centralize the Empire’s power and allow it to penetrate all parts of the Empire through the central Viennese government.

The interests of the two sides were diametrically opposed which was what worried Count Borovský. Would the Viennese nobles who dominated the Viennese government give up such a golden opportunity to suppress them?

At that moment, the voice of Count Waldstein’s butler sounded, “My Lord, there is someone outside who claims to be an envoy sent by Prince Windisch-Grätz!”

The faces of the men in the room changed momentarily, but it was not surprising that Prince Windisch-Grätz had sent an envoy since they had already suspected that they had been exposed.

Count Waldstein answered after a moment’s thought, “Invite him in! And have Lena guide these gentlemen into the next room!”

No one raised any objections. The maid named Lena quickly led the six men into the connecting room from where the conversation in the reception room could be heard. This would allow them to finally understand what Prince Windisch-Grätz had planned.

Seeing the man who entered, Count Waldstein asked in surprise, “Gustav, how can it be you?!”

“Why can’t it be me? Dear cousin, don’t forget that I have been serving in the Austrian army since my youth. I have served under Prince Windisch-Grätz for many years now, so when he offered me this task, I readily agreed!” Gustav Waldstein answered while chuckling.

Such was the complicated relationships among European nobles. Gustav Waldstein and Count Józef Waldstein were first cousins, but Count Józef’s branch had inherited the family’s titles; as part of the cadet branch, Gustav had to fend for himself. Still, since they were close family, it was easy to talk. Count Waldstein could already feel the goodwill displayed by Prince Windisch-Grätz.

“Gustav, I’m relieved to see you at a time like this!” Count Waldstein said while breathing a sigh of relief.

“You’ve spoken too soon, cousin. I have brought the conditions sent by Prince Windisch-Grätz, or should I say, the Viennese government.

If you agree, then, for now, nothing will happen; if not, I don’t need to say what will happen. If you don’t want our family to fall into decline, you had best think carefully before making your decision,” Gustav Waldstein said seriously.

Count Waldstein smiled bitterly.

“Go ahead. As long as I can save our family from decline, I’m willing to accept any conditions!”

Naturally, he had to pay a price to mend his mistakes. On the contrary, if the Viennese government hadn’t put forward any conditions, he would’ve been more worried.

Gustav Waldstein looked down at the footprints on the floor and said, “Since everyone is already here, please do come out. It will save me the trouble of visiting each of you personally.”

Count Waldstein coughed to hide his embarrassment, but he soon cleared his throat and announced calmly, “Well, gentlemen, you’ve already been found, so come out.”

After greeting the six men with whom he was acquainted, Gustav Waldstein announced, “Everyone, the conditions I’ve brought were set by the Cabinet. There is no room for discussion; you shall either accept them or refuse them! The conditions are…”

33