Chapter 69 – Pragmatist
1.9k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the mid-19th century, the industrial centers of Italy were concentrated in the north. Due to political and geographical factors, they were divided into the "Turin-Genoa" industrial zone and the "Milan-Venice" industrial zone. This was the biggest reason behind Sardinia's desperation to annex Lombardy-Venetia.

Unlike Britain and France, however, the industrial revolution in Italy has only just begun as the states are still dominated by traditional handicrafts. Therefore, the wealth and influence of capitalists was somewhat limited. In addition, the capitalists in Venice and the capitalists in Turin maintained a cooperative-competitive relationship as many capitalists had businesses in both Venice and Turin.

When Silvestro Libonati informed the Venetian capitalists regarding the conditions put forward by Marshal Radetzky, they quickly took action. It was hard to say whether they truly supported Austria or had their machinations in action. Regardless of their thoughts, they began to lobby their acquaintances in Turin to have the Sardinian army send troops to Venice.

After all, each extra day of war brought them inestimable losses due to roads and bridges being blocked. The same was true for the capitalists in Turin since production had come to a halt due to the conscription of most young men in the country.

After the Venetian capitalists joined in to influence public opinion, Turin became even more lively and reached the verge of exploding. The crowds were on the verge of rioting, so King Charles Albert had to mobilize the army in advance.

To this end, despite Minister of War Ferrere's warnings, he sent even the remaining 40,000 soldiers in Sardinia to join the army. As a result, the Sardinian army was now 190,000-strong. In theory, if their Italian allies were added, their total strength would be close to 250,000. Unfortunately, this 250,000-strong army would never see battle.

This was because, besides the Sardinian army, the army of the other Italian states didn't have any plans to reach the battlefield. This was especially true for the Naples army which had stopped to rest in the Papal States after "most of their soldiers suffered from heat stroke." Only God knows how they managed to have a heat stroke in spring.

Furthermore, they explained that the 40,000 troops promised by Naples would be unable to reach the battlefield in time, but for the great cause of reunification of Italy, they had sent their remaining 300 healthy soldiers. Regardless of whether this reason was acceptable or not, one thing was certain: Naples had withdrawn from the war.

Franz wasn't surprised by this turn of events. Austrian influence in Naples had ensured this outcome. King Ferdinand II of Two Sicilies was the son of Francis I of the Two Sicilies, who, in turn, was the son of Maria Carolina of Austria, an extremely powerful woman like her mother, Empress Maria Theresa.

In fact, she had been the most powerful person in Italy, besides Pope Pius VI, during the late-18th century when her husband, Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies, had ruled over Naples and Sicily. This was due to the astounding might of the Austrian Empire and its ties with the Spanish Empire, which had traditionally dominated southern Italy.

The Kingdom of Naples and the Kingdom of Sicily joined to form the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. Despite the name, the kingdom was dominated by Neapolitans

Being born to a father who was awed by his mother and witnessed the might of Austria, King Ferdinand II's choice was no surprise. In a sense, the Kingdom of Two Sicilies was an ally that the Habsburgs had cultivated through two political marriages over the previous century. First, Maria Carolina to Ferdinand I, and, more recently, Maria Theresa to Ferdinand II.

Furthermore, it was clear that Naples, separated from Lombardy-Venetia by the Papal States, would not gain any substantial benefits even if it helped drive Austria out of Italy. Instead, its main rival, Sardinia, would be strengthened. As the largest Italian state, Naples also held the ambition to unify Italy. At this time, Austrian occupation of Lombardy-Venetia was more in line with its interest than Sardinian annexation.

Due to Franz's appearance, Austrian history was changed. As a result, Austria's military power was strengthened. By May, after more than a month of training, the reserve forces had become sufficiently skilled. While the world's attention remained on the imminent battle in Venice, Franz quietly transferred these soldiers to Hungary.

 

**********

 

Hofburg Palace, Vienna

Franz inwardly praised Nicholas I as a smart man after the Russian Foreign Ministry had sent word that 300,000 Russian reinforcements were on standby to help Austria and Prussia suppress their internal revolutions. Such strong support from the Tsarist government had an immense impact as both the Austrian and the Prussian revolutionaries were hit hard.

Foreign Minister Metternich reported, "Your Imperial Highness, the French have taken the bait; they have terminated all aid to Sardinia. We are currently discussing the division of Sardinia."

Franz looked pleased as he thought to himself, 'Sure enough, Metternich is more suitable for diplomacy. It was a big mistake for him to leave that to become State Chancellor.'

If Austria can ensure France's neutrality, there will be no accidents during the battle in Venice. Without the help of the French, the Sardinian army would be squashed like bugs. In just over a month, the Sardinian army had expanded rapidly from around 20,000-30,000 to nearly 200,000. Anyone who had the slightest military literacy would be aware that such an army was extremely unreliable, especially against a stronger enemy.

Of course, if the Sardinian soldiers have become zealots who don't cower before death, or if they execute orders as neatly and honestly as German soldiers, then it's not a huge problem.

The Sardinian people have most likely been inadvertently brainwashed by the radical domestic opinion and ultra-nationalist sentiments, thinking that these soldiers on the battlefield can be as powerful as they were while shouting slogans and demonstrating on the streets of Turin.

Franz quickly ordered, "Alright, sign a treaty with the French government as soon as possible. They change governments as fast as women change clothes. Don't worry too much about the specifics."

The Cabinet members laughed at Franz's joke but Foreign Minister Metternich advised, "Your Imperial Highness, it would not be in our favor to sign a treaty with such urgency. The French have a larger appetite than we thought."

Franz smirked and said, "It doesn't matter. Whether the treaty we signed with the French can be implemented depends on whether the French can withstand the pressure of the British.

Judging from the current situation, the French government is heavily influenced by the British. Once London takes a tough stance, the French will most likely compromise.

If they choose to give up, it won't have anything to do with us. In fact, we can even condemn them for reneging on their word."

Not only is the current provisional government heavily influenced by the British, subsequent French governments will continue to be influenced by the British. It would be impossible for France to escape British influence for at least five years.

"Your Imperial Highness, if the French retreat, we will be left alone. In the present circumstance, it's not a good move for us to annex Sardinia!" reminded Archduke Louis.

Minister-President Schwarzenberg sighed and said, "Unfortunately, we missed such a good opportunity. It's not everyday that we get the chance to annex Sardinia."

Dominating Italy is not only the dream of the French, but also the dream of Austrians. In fact, this is just a dream since other European powers won't allow any one nation to annex Italy, the center of the Roman Empire.

Franz also shrugged and said, "We have no choice. Even if we swallow Sardinia in one bite, we will be forced to spit it back out, sooner or later."

 

-TO BE CONTINUED-

38