Chapter 28
74 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Qiang Wu and Qiong Lin just left their studies in the pavilion and we’re making their way to the crown prince’s palace.

The crown prince’s palace wasn’t far from Changling’s palace, meaning that they could see the entrance.

At the entrance stood Rucheng and Yuhua talking.

Qiang Wu stopped his brother. “Wait.”

“What is it?” He asked.

“She’s back,” Qiang Wu said excitedly.

Qiong Lin looked towards the palace and saw the two girls. “Which one are you talking about, brother?”

“Rucheng,” he answered, and started walking.

Qiong Lin caught up to him. “Why are you so excited?”

“Shu,” he hushed him. 

“Rucheng,” he called out to her.

The sisters turned to them and bowed, “Greeting’s Your Highness, greetings Prince Qiong Lin.”

Qiong Lin was surprised that they knew him, especially since he did his best to stay away from this family.

Qiang Wu stopped in front of Rucheng and asked, “When did you get back?”

“Just now, your highness,” she answered, then looked at Qiong Lin, who was staring down at Yuhua, who was minding her business.

She looked back at him. “Did you need anything from me?”

He nodded his head. “Yes, would you like to have tea with me?”

Qiong Lin looked at his brother. Was he just going to forget about him and what they were going to discuss?

She smiled nervously, “I wouldn’t want to disturb your highness.”

“I’m not doing anything and besides, I am the one inviting you,” he said and held his hand out to her.

She blushed and placed her hand in his. Yuhua smiled, bowing to them she said to her sister, “I’ll be off.”

Rucheng nodded her head, but mentally warned her not to say anything about this.

Qiong Lin looked at his shameless brother, then followed Yuhua. When they were out of sight, he sighed and said to her, “My brother is shameless. He was supposed to help me with my studies.”

Yuhua giggled, “Let them be, your highness. I think the crown prince is in love.”

Qiong Lin scoffed. He looked at her, then tilted his head and teased, “What about you? Do you have someone you are interested in?”

Her eyes widened, then she rushed off, but he chased after her. When he caught up, he asked, “What is your name?”

“I am Ring Yuhua, your highness,” she said.

“Tell me something. I heard you serve my brother-in-law. Why do you sisters serve?” He asked curiously as they reached Qinghe’s palace.

She looked at him, hiding her own curiosity, and answered, “It’s how we learn to take care of our future husband’s. From cleaning to cooking and defending ourselves, but mostly to be independent.”

“Independent,” he repeated.

She nodded her head, “Yes, if I want, I can join the army and like my twin sisters, if I learn well, I can manage a business.”

“But wouldn’t you want to be spoiled with riches and treated like a queen?” He asked her.

She nodded her head, “If the opportunity rises then yes, but for now, being my brother’s servant is what I am satisfied with. Once marriage is presented, then I’ll do my best to be my husband’s wife.”

Qiong Lin exhaled and shook his head. “You Rong siblings are strange.”

“Strange is normal to use, your highness,” she said and made her way to the door after bowing.

“Then when you are free, spar with me,” he said with a smirk.

THE CROWN PRINCE’S PALACE

Rucheng looked at the prince as she sat down after making and pouring the tea.

She looked away embarrassed. “Why are you staring at me, your highness?”

“I have the confidence to flirt with you now that I look like my old self and not a swollen tomato,” he said.

She chuckled. They drank the tea, then he said, “You’re beautiful.”

“Thank you, your highness,” she said awkwardly.

It was silent for a moment then he said, “I did not think that I would meet a girl like you “

“A girl like me?” She asked.

He nodded his head, “Yes, I uhm, if I could, I would have it that I am engaged to you “

She looked at him confused, “Your Highness?”

He took a sip of tea after she poured and said, “I wish we could have met before. I’m engaged to another and our wedding will be held in three full moons. I’m regretting agreeing with my mother.”

Rucheng blushed, “Your Highness, that is unfair to your bride.”

He sighed, “I know, but forgive me for being a man. Our engagement was only to secure my seat on the throne. Next will be the wedding, then an heir.”

“And your highness is having regrets?” She asked.

He nodded. She could see his sadness and worry.

“I thought my life was perfect before, but it was all a lie. For a time, I regretted being born, but now that there is a possibility that I might lose my title, I’m regretting a lot of things,” he explained.

“Is this about my brother?” She asked.

He nodded his head. “And please do not say that he has no desire to rule. Everything can change once he puts his mind to it, and he already has the power to forcefully take it from me.”

“What do you mean? What power does he have?” She asked 

“You know your brother better than me. He killed all those guards and a eunuch. He looks at my father with hatred, too. What’s stopping him from waking up one day and cutting my head off or usurping me once I have the title?” He said but realised that talking about this was making him angry.

He stood up and say beside her. He took her hand in his and kissed it. “But this is not why I asked you here.”

Rucheng tried to pull her hand away. She shouldn’t even allow him to woo her. “Your Highness, please?”

“What?” He asked her. Before she could say anything, he leaned forward and kissed her.

Her eyes widened. She pushed him away and slapped him across the face.

Qiang Wu looked away angrily. If she was any other girl, he would have had his hands around her throat.

Rucheng stared at him. She shouldn’t have hit him. She quickly looked around, but luckily, no one was around.

“You are going to marry someone else,” she said to him.

“My father has many wives,” he said to her.

She stood up. “And my husband shall only have me.”

Qiang Wu turned to her and grabbed her wrist. He pulled her down and held her in his arms. Looking into her eyes, he said, “And I am the Crown Prince.”

“That means nothing to me,” she said.

He stared at her, then sat her down on his lap. Running his hands up her shoulders, he reached the bun of hair and pulled out the plain hairpin holding it together.

Her hair draped down. He saw that her hair was very long, and it smelled nice. Qiang Wu pulled out a comb and hairpin from his sleeve. “I bought these for you.”

She looked at the silver hair pin with lavender-coloured flowers on the end.

“You don’t like it?” He asked.

She didn’t answer him.

He lifted her up and stood up. Forcing her to sit down, he knelt down behind her and combed her hair.

“I want you to think about it,” he said.

“Your highness, you should forget about me,” she said.

He sighed. It looks like he needed to work on his approach with this one.

0