Chapter 3: Princes In A Pickle
468 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV: Eunice/Roanne

I spent two days cooped up in my room and continued to research about Valbara's history on politics and social matters. To avoid too much communication with Roanne's family, I told the other maids that I wanted to eat my meals in the bedroom instead.

Flipping through the pages of the history book, there was a chapter that mentioned about the new policing measures that were put forth by the late emperor of Valbara. The measures were petitioned by the lower classed citizens as criminal activities became more frequent with the growth of the population in each town. Those of the lower and working class were recruited for the policing jobs as long as they were fine with the low income they'd receive.

I found it interesting that the world of the web comic was taking place on its own terms. I never once thought that Valbara had its own history for over 6000 years. The author of the web comic never even mentioned such specific details of previous emperors, neighbouring countries and diplomatic relations. It was a world beyond the webpages of a simple comic app.

Then, Josephine handed me a book of social etiquettes, advising me it would come in handy after my memory loss.

"My lady, you should read this as well, since you'll be having meetings and parties with other nobles."

The idea of me going out of the manor and meeting nobles that I barely knew scared me. However, because of Roanne's reputation, the number of invitations to parties and banquets she would receive were very little. She would only attend those that were from the imperial palace and other higher ruling aristocrats, which made her look like she was favoring the most elite of nobles and vieux riche. It was a rude gesture that suggested a life of exclusivity and greed for power was all that the half-commoner daughter went after.

I held the book in my hand and read the first few pages of it. I squinted at a line in the page that read, 'In a tea party, a lady must abstain herself from making noises such as burping, snorting and singing.'

I admit that I wasn't very good at maintaining etiquette and manners in my previous life. I would talk over people when I didn't realize it and I had a habit of talking to the elderly the same way that I'd talk to the young. I would also address those that were newly acquainted to me informally, no matter what their first impressions were. 

Even so, I had to put effort to learn and act like a lady and as the daughter of a duke.

"It might be best to get someone to teach you etiquette once again, rather than just reading the book," said Josephine.

"Yes, I think so too," I replied.

"Shall I inform the duke of this?"

"No, it's alright. I'll be the one to let him know."

I was yet to be introduced to Roanne's father. He was busy in his office attending to work and duties as a duke. Several earls and viscounts would visit the manor in the morning and enter his office, discussing matters on land, income and agriculture of the people living in the duchy. 

When there were no visitors around, I knocked on the door of his office and he told me to come in. Walking in to the room, I peered at the old man who was sitting at his desk and jotting down notes on his journal. I finally realized which parent that Roanne's looks were taken after. Those striking turquoise eyes would amaze me every time I see it, even when I looked at myself in the mirror.

He glanced up from his journal and called out, "Oh! Roanne!"

"Good morning," I smiled at him.

"Good morning, dear!" He beamed. "I haven't seen your face lately. You still look as beautiful as ever."

"Th-thank you, father," I mumbled to his comment. I kept in mind that I needed to use honorifics when I spoke formally.

"I heard you cried for Prince Aesar two days ago. Are you still heartbroken?"

"N-no, I'm fine now."

"Don't worry, dear. There are plenty of noblemen who would love to take your hand. I can always arrange a list of bachelors in Valbara for you."

I pursed my lips and tapped my foot nervously. I didn't want the topic of marriage to continue any longer.

"No, I don't want that right now," I declined, "I want someone to teach me etiquette again."

"Alright then."

There was a few seconds of silence in the room. 

"Would... you like me to request Baroness Marches for you?"

"Ye-yes, please. If you're not too busy."

He gave a smile of pity and said, "My dear, you don't need to feel ashamed at writing to the nobles yourself."

"Oh... "

So I could have just written a letter to her myself. But I didn't even know who to consult to for these lady-like things such as etiquette and embroidery, neither did I knew who Baroness Marches was.

"Nevertheless, if you are still afraid of facing them because of the breakup, I understand. I will send a letter and request her on your behalf-"

"I would also like it if someone can teach me how to fight."

The duke paused for a moment and raised his eyebrow. "Why would you be interested in fighting?"

"We're in the midst of war, aren't we?"

During this time, a war between Nebore and Valbara was taking place in the south-west of the country. The number of casualties in this war was said to be more than any of the previous wars of Valbara.

"You're a lady, you don't need to fight."

I placed a hand on my chest to give a bit more emphasis and said, "I want to protect my family if we are to face any danger from the enemy." 

His eyes widened with surprise, as if he was seeing a new side to his daughter. He blinked a few times before he spoke again.

"It's strange that you're asking me this, but I will allow it. Just know that the nobles may see you differently if the news ever comes to them. Word always travels fast around the empire," he said sternly.

"I know, and I don't mind."

"What kind of weapon do you want to learn to use, dear? A sword? An axe?"

I already had a weapon in mind that was similar to a gun. Although, it would take some time for me to get used to handling it.

"A longbow."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Then I'll send one of our footman to look for a longbowman."

"Thank you, father," I bobbed my head to him.

"But keep in mind that he will probably be a knight, and you must pay him fairly using your allowance."

"Yes, father, I understand."

There was a knock on the door behind me. I turned around and saw a maid poking her head into the room.

"Lady Roanne. His royal highness, Prince Aesar, has come to see you."


 

POV: Prince Aesar

As I walked through the spacious hallways of the imperial palace and headed my way towards the bedchambers alongside my royal guard and my gentleman, I passed by a few maids gossiping to one another.

"I heard from the maids of the Imrora House that Lady Roanne cried for the prince."

"That's a first. I never thought she was one who would shed tears after the breakup."

"Me neither. If she's sad about it, I guess she deserves it. She's always been such a cruel and selfish person. She might realize her faults by now."

I felt a tinge of sympathy as I overheard the conversation and recalled the days of our relationship.

Roanne was a woman who fought for her honour. She would quickly put down those who would slander her family by stating how she was higher above the rest of the nobles. It got to the point where she would blame me for not taking her side and accuse me for spreading false rumours. Her egotism kept building on afterwards.

And then, when the rumour of my affair with saintess Calisa reached her ears, her hostility towards me deepened.

On the last night of our betrothal, she had demanded a higher royal allowance. She was willing to overlook the affair and let Calisa be a concubine in exchange for an allowance raise. The royal expenses were fixed and allocated properly. It wasn't something that I could change easily, and I had funded a lot on the Valbaran army this time. I had to contribute and support the men that were in battle at times of war.

With all the built-up resentment I had for her over the recent years and the stress of war, her last demand was something I couldn't handle. I finally had enough and announced to break the engagement on the night that we argued.

When I approached my chambers, I could make out the tall figure of a man with black hair and purple eyes waiting in front of the doors. He was wearing a uniform of a black royal coat with four medals of honour pinned to it.

He stepped aside from the entrance and waved at me with a smirk on his face. 

"Good morning, brother!" Stalo beamed.

"What do you want?" I asked in a cold tone.

"Do I not get a greeting of my own?"

"Good morning. Now, what do you want?"

 Jameson, the gentleman who attended to my needs, opened the doors with a key and pushed the iron handles.

"I was hoping you would do some sword duelling with me."

"I can't. I have to go somewhere today."

Stalo pouted in response.

We entered the chambers, and he threw himself onto the red sofa. "Everyone's been talking about how your ex-fiance is now in despair. Could that have something to do you with where your going?"

"Yes, it does."

Jameson assisted me with my full-dress uniform in front of the mirror. I was already wearing a white collared shirt, a grey vest and white trousers. He gave me a white military coat with golden buttons and braiding to wear over it. The rest of the uniform was comprised of a cape and a gold scepter.

"Must you look that flamboyant for an ex-fiance?" Stalo asked snarkily.

"I look like this every day, Stalo."

After I was done dressing up, I went over to my writing desk and took out a small box from the first drawer. Inside it was a gold ring that was diamond studded with a bright ruby gemstone imbedded at the center. It was Roanne's engagement ring.

"She didn't take the ring?"

"Not at all. She threw it at me in a whim, on the night that we fought."

"Pfft!" Stalo snickered. "I'm guessing that she wants it back."

"She ordered me to give it back after the breach of promise and cited that I was the one who lost the ring. Eventually, the servants found it under the bed of her old quarters in the palace."

"What a troubled woman," he grinned in amusement.

A male servant came in to the room and informed me that my carriage was waiting. Melvis, my royal guard, escorted me out of the room and Stalo followed from behind. We went out of my chambers and strode side-by-side through the hallways that passed the courtyard gardens. A few nobles that were visiting the palace had greeted us along the way. Stalo kept on eyeing Melvis for some reason, and Melvis was visibly tensed with my little brother's gaze.

"By the way, I'm thinking of appointing a new royal guard. Someone who is like Melvis," Stalo remarked.

“I’d recommend you to appoint someone who is not like Melvis,” I responded.

“Why is that?”

“Because serving you would be like chasing after a wild boar, and someone like Melvis will only nag at you until he dies of distress.”

“Huh?! What did you just call me?!” He snapped. His voice echoed through the hallways and I covered my ears with my palms. Several maids were stunned and one of them dropped to the ground.

Melvis looked away and grimaced to his right side as he walked with us.

“Melvis,” I called his name, and he jolted, “Would you like to serve my brother as a royal guard?”

“Will my head be chopped off if I said ‘no’?” Melvis grumbled.

“I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen.”

“Then, no, I would not want to serve Prince Stalo.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to serve for me?! I’m the same title as this bloody giraffe!” Stalo bawled.

“Not exactly,” I murmured.

“I heard that!”

Melvis sighed and said, "From what the other royal guards told me, you take in women and when you dump them, you leave the royal guards to handle their temper."

I looked at him and raised my eyebrow, "That wasn't what I heard. I thought it was the one where he'd sneak off at night to play cards at the local tavern."

"Yes, that one as well, and the royal guards would stay up all night accompanying him getting drun-"

"Fine! I get it! Enough with the criticism already! I'm looking for someone who is good at fighting like Melvis, but doesn't have such a snobby personality as him," Stalo retorted.

"I dont know whether to take that as an insult or a complement, your highness," Melvis said in a monotone voice.

"Take it as a complement," I leered.

"Take it as an insult for all I care," Stalo rolled his eyes.

Melvis brooded for a while as we walked through the entrance hall of the palace. "I can suggest to you my younger brother, Lerna."

Stalo gave Melvis a straight face. "If it's your brother, wouldn't he be the same as you?"

We went out of the entrance hall and stood under the large roof of the columned porch. A black and gold carriage was waiting at the foot of the stairs, with two footmen on standby.

"He is not the same as me! In fact, he might me better than me in defending himself."

"Has he been knighted?"

"No, your highness. He is currently living with my mother and father in Felsaberg. He was a squire before and although he was very skilled with a longbow, he decided not to become a knight. I'm not sure why."

"Hmm...," Stalo rubbed at his chin, "I'll send a servant to bring him to my manor."

"Are you both done talking?" I crossed my arms as I patiently waited beside them.

"My apologies, your highness!" Melvis staggered and immediately went down the stairs.

"Get your own guard, Stalo," I smirked, and he glared back at me. 

Melvis continued to escort me from the stairs, and we entered the carriage together. The coachman whipped the reins and signalled the horses to trot. As the wheels of the carriage started to move around the water fountain of the front yard, I watched as Stalo walked away from the stairs and went back in to the palace. I wondered if he heard the news about his own ex-lover.

18