Chapter 5
1.1k 5 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...”

 

“Iris!”

 

Iris bit her lips and passed her the child before going behind her mom to support her from behind. Allowing her to sit up. Her mom pulled her shirt upwards before placing the baby on her breasts so that she could feed it. 

 

“Mom, you’re not scared?”

 

“I am. However, it’s still my child.”

 

Iris felt her eyes become blurry. She sniffed. The world was such a mess, even her sister wasn’t human anymore. 

 

She only hoped she wasn’t going to turn like the beasts outside.

 

“Mom… are you feeling any discomfort? Like is your mind doing fine?” 

 

“No, I feel fine….” 

 

Iris sighed. She turned around, her back facing her mom as they leaned against each other. She brought her tail to her front and started to stroke it for comfort.

 

“Mom, if you ever feel strange, I suggest you get into a horse stance.” She blushed. What was she telling someone who had just given birth?

 

“Nn.” 

 

“Does little sister have a name?”

 

“Rose.” 

 

“Oh.”

 

“...”

 

The two remained silent, and the room was filled with her mom’s pants. 

 

While waiting for her mom to finish expelling her placenta, Iris took the chance to explore her status window.

 

Right now, she needed power. 

 

She first clicked on ‘Task’. She would go through all of them one by one, hopefully, without any distractions this time.

 

Task (Tutorial) - How to level up

Unlocks - Note Function

Remarks - Highly recommended

 

Task - Take one life 

Rewards - 1 point

Remarks - Repeatable

 

Task - Take 10 life

Rewards - 10 points

Remarks - Repeatable

 

Task - Take an endless amount of lives 

Rewards - n points for n lives taken.

Remarks - Repeatable, can be turned in anytime.

 

Task - Collect Shards of Calamity 

Rewards - None

Remarks - Passive Request

 

Task - Awaken Assistant

Remarks - Reward is an Assistant, fight on young fox! 

 

Conditions not met for additional tasks.

 

She skimmed through the list and pressed the tutorial button. 

 

It redirected her to the home screen. 

 

Calamity System

Xiv’s successor 

Seed of Calamity

Level 1

 

Task - Tutorial (Focus or click)

Options 

 

She tried focusing on it. 

 

Direct input into Host's mind, or readable format. 

 

Readable. She answered with her mind. 

 

 

Methods on how to level up.

 

Respiration - Absorption from the environment. 2 options

 

Option 1 - Enter an area with high mana density

 

Option 2 - In cases where mana density is thinner, expose your mana absorption spot to the environment.

 

Absorbing Energy Nucleus - All creatures form and mana nucleus inside of them through accumulation. 

 

Step 1 - Kill the creature

 

Step 2 - Extract Nucleus

 

Step 3 

      • Consume the Nucleus
      • Place it on your mana absorption spot.

Iris reread it a few more times before pressing the done button on the bottom. 

 

Tutorial II Unlocked - Finding Mana Absorption spots.

Note Unlocked

 

Proceed to Tutorial II?

 

Iris was about to press yes when she heard her mom groan as she expelled her placenta from her body. Unknowingly time had flown by.

 

“Iris, help me clamp and cut the cord.”

 

“Oh,” following her instructions, she cut the cord after clamping and placing a gauze over it to prevent blood from spilling out. 

 

By the time she finished, her mom had already recovered enough to walk. 

 

She went over to the shower with the baby to clean the two of them, leaving Iris inside of her room. 

 

She glanced at the mess around her. The sheets and floor were soiled and bloodied, and there were still rags everywhere. The window was on the floor while a giant bird was blocking the window.

 

She then glanced over at the bird by the window. She felt her heart skip a beat. 

 

It was likely a human.

 

Iris… no good! Compassion in the end of days is suicide. 

 

She went over to the kitchen to wash her hands before returning with a knife. Her heart threatened to beat out of her chest.

 

She would just give it a stab….. 

 

However, before she could do something, the bird suddenly screamed in pain. She tried her best to cover her ears. The sound was too sharp.

 

The beast weakened and its life seemed to have ended completely.

 

“...”

Iris held onto her knife. Whatever had killed the beast might come for her next.

 

The bird shook when it was sent tumbling off the fire escape, unblocking the window. 

 

The person outside used a handle on the fire escape as a pivot and catapulted herself inside. She stably landed on the floor.

 

It was a cute and delicate beauty with gray hair that extended down her back, her bangs were straight while her eyes were blue. 

 

Iris could see her eyes widen when she looked at her before turning to normal.

 

“Are you alone?” 

 

“...”

 

Iris didn’t respond and still held onto her knife. She didn’t really know if she was an enemy, and didn’t want to give too much information. 

 

“Relax, I’m here to rescue you. Besides, if I really wanted to kill you, I don’t need such a roundabout method. We don’t even know each other.” 

 

Seeing her look that was filled with disdain, Iris calmed down before pouting. 

 

Why did she have to look at her like that? Did she think she was the arrogant protagonist of a novel?

 

“I’m not alone, also why do I need you to rescue me?” She glanced at the crystal that was in her hand. “I was about to kill it myself….” 

 

She wasn’t used to lying.

 

The girl chuckled “Sure.” She then threw the crystal towards Iris. 

 

“??” 

 

“Since you were going to kill it, then I’ll give this to you. You seem to know what it is?”

 

Iris didn’t answer and asked another question. “What about you? Do you know what it is? Also, how come you didn’t change?”

 

The girl shrugged. “Not everyone changes in the rain. Aside from me, there are a lot more.” 

 

“It’s a nucleus. If you absorb it, you’ll be able to get stronger. By rescuing, I meant bringing you to a safe place.” The girl continued. “However, seeing you now, I’ve changed my mind.

 

“???”

 

“The place won’t shelter you, nor your family. Aside from me, I don’t believe anyone will take you in.” The girl smiled brightly. “Unfortunately, if you want me to shelter you, it isn’t free either.”

 

“How about it, would you like to work for me? I can provide you food and shelter. You have until the rain ends to answer me.” 

 

“...It isn’t impossible. I want to add my own conditions.” Iris didn’t immediately decline her. Instead, she widened her eyes. “Get away!”

 

She ran out of the room.

 

Due to the window being unblocked, another bird had charged at them, this time, it charged headfirst.

 

The girl calmly stepped to the side and when the head of the bird came in front of the window, she slashed at the artery on its neck. The bird released a tragic cry before life faded from its eyes.

 

She then followed the girl outside of the room. 

 

“Have a seat,” Iris pointed towards the couch. The girl went over and sat down.

 

After a brief hesitation, Iris also went and sat down next to her. Probably not expecting her actions, the girl stiffened. 

 

Iris didn’t pay attention and brought her tail in front of her to stroke it. The feelings of comfort calmed her fast beating heart. “How did you know I have family?”

 

The girl played with her hair. “The cord that was on the bed. You don’t seem to have given birth to someone, and the mother’s corpse isn’t there, nor the baby’s. So, what condition did you want to place in?”

 

“I want you to guarantee the safety of my family, not from beasts, but from other humans.” What Iris feared now, wasn’t really beasts, but other humans.

44