“Rest in peace,Xiao Ying.”(1)
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 1: "Rest in peace, Xiao Ying."(1)

The thirty-seventh year of Fangrong1Fanrong(繁荣) which means prosperity.Chinese era names were titles used by various Chinese dynasties and regimes in Imperial China for the purpose of year identification and numbering.

In a prison cell of the Royal Prison2The Royal Prison is a place where royal members who sinned were imprisoned in waiting for the final verdict. It was also used for high-ranking officials and nobles. It was quite a luxurious prison for nobles, but for people who really sinned, it is a nightmare. ,there was a young woman clad in tattered clothes stained with blood. Her arms were suspended from above by an iron chain hanging. Her eyes were bloodshot from not having enough sleep but mainly due to the pain from all the whiplashes she got.
But her blue orbs which once used to shine like pearls lost their luster. Her body and face which once glowed like snow became dirty and covered with scars.
Who is this unfortunate girl,you might ask. She was none other than the unfavoured daughter of the main wife3This refers to the daughter of the legally married wife who wore bright red clothes and was carried in a sedan by 8 bearers received through the main door. of the Duke Ning Manor4Ning(宁) is the title of duke that has been passed on for several generations without degradation. Ning(宁) means 'peaceful'. – Zhu Xiuying who once used to be the fiancee of Prince Shang5Here, Shang(上) means 'above' and it is the title granted to the prince. Prince Shang is Li Jiahao..
Her birth mother died giving birth to her brother who was born sickly and became a medicine jar6This refers to a person who has to live on/drinks too much medicine.. Her maternal family gradually declined and perished. To top it all off, the prince broke off their engagement and married another woman, her brother died and her closest confidants were all executed.
Such a person would usually arise pity from the masses. But Zhu Xiuying in the end got nothing but scorn and mocking. She was framed for something she did not commit – leaking national secrets and she was labeled a traitor by the officials.
The Holy One7This is referring to the Emperor who is generally known as the 'Son Of Heaven' or 'Mandate Of Heaven'. let her ex-fiance be in charge of her case and it was a very lamentable fact. They hated each other. He mocked her for not knowing how high the sky was8The phrase 'not knowing how high the sky was' is used to refer to a person who doesn't know their place. while she scorned him for being with another woman when they were still engaged. 
Yet no one criticized that woman – Lu Meilin. After all, even if her father was the Left Chancellor9He heads the left court which consists of civil officials., he abandoned Zhu Xiuying and her brother as if he never had any affection for this daughter and son and this further reduced her chance of being pardoned.
And Lu Meilin was a woman of great talents; she was skilled in martial arts and medical skills and it was said that her skills were even greater than Prince Jun Shizi10Shizi(秋月), the heir of the qinwang title.Jun(军) means 'military'., who was renowned for his medical skills.
Furthermore,even if Lu Meilin was shu-born11This refers to children born from a concubine or second wife., she was still a daughter of the Right Chancellor12He heads the right court which consists of military officials. and her father was a first-ranked Marquis.
Even if her father was the descendant of one of the founding dukes of the country, the power he currently had at hand is still inferior compared to Marquis Heng13Heng(恒) is the title of marquis that has been passed on for several generations without degradation. Heng(恒) means 'constant'.. Most of Duke Ning's power came from marrying Zhu Xiuying's mother, the only daughter of the Warrior General14The second highest-ranking general after the Protector General.
After her mother died, her father used her as a pawn because of her engagement to Prince Shang and now that the prince abandoned her, he immediately burned the bridge after crossing the river.
Prince Shang, who carried out the investigation, found out that all the evidence pointed out to her. Her end was inevitable; she was to be whipped till she confessed.
Every morning,she would be taken to the public execution area and whipped a hundred times. When she returns to the prison, she would be fed medicine which would automatically heal her injuries but they would leave scars. Those scars were like the biggest joke of her life. She, who was once the first beauty of Jing15Jing(京) is the capital city. Zhu Xiuying is famed for her talent and beauty so she is known as the first beauty of Jing. ended up in such a state. And she even dragged her maternal relatives down who were publicly executed.
One cold night, about one month after the start of the whiplashes, two uninvited people approached her prison cell. Her lifeless eyes opened wide for once as she stared unceasingly at the duo who caused her death twice. Twice.
Yes she had been reborn back to before the prince broke off their engagement. She was 15 again. This time she investigated Lu Meilin and found out that she was only a timid shu daughter who was scared of her legal mother.
Yet how would she be so skilled at martial arts and medical skills? She couldn't even walk lightly without making a sound.
Could it be she was possessed by a ghost or was she the same as her? Yet her question was never answered. In this life, she had schemed against Lu Meilin several times but never succeeded. In the end,she was reduced to this.
"Tch."Li Jiahao snorted, obviously disgusted at the smell and 'creature' in from of him. Then he smiled brilliantly,"Did you live well, Xiao Ying16Xiao(小) is a affectionate prefix added before a name to emphasize closeness. However, here it is used in a manner of sarcasm.?
"Shut up, Haohao17Haohao(豪豪) is an affectionate nickname for Li Jiahao.. Can't you let me have my moment for once?" Lu Meilin scolded him but she was obviously trying to suppress her smile.
"I never thought you would have a day like this,Xiao Ying."Lu Meilin smiled beautifully at Zhu Xiuying. It was a smile that did not reach her eyes.
The duo where none other than Prince Shang of Da Zhong18Here,Da(大) means 'great'; Zhong(中) means 'center'. Da mentioned here is not part of the name the empire. It is an adjective praising the country.,Li Jiahao and his newly married princess consort Lu Meilin.
Even she a prisoner,had heard of their marriage which was said to be even grander than the Holy One's marriage back then. It was truly 10 miles of red silk and dowry.
Yet, this seemed to be a huge slap on her face. She had obviously tried so much get his love, but he turned his back and smiled at another woman.
She truly hadn't learnt her lesson, even after two lifetimes. Now she could only lament her tragic life and ending.
ꕤꕤꕤ
Names:
Zhu Xiuying (朱秀英): Zhu(朱) is a surname meaning 'vermillion red, cinnabar'. Xiuying(秀英) is a name meaning 'beautiful flower or petal'.
Lu Meilin(吕美林): Lu(吕) is a surname meaning 'musical note'.  Her given name is Meilin(美林). Mei(美) means 'beautiful'; Lin(林) means 'forest'.
Li Jiahao(李家豪): Li(李) is a surname meaning 'plum'. Jiahao(家豪) is his given name. Jiahao(家豪) means having 'a great objective in life'.
2