4. Battle
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

Yeah finals are wack, not gonna lie. I probably should have said something back in March, but eh.

[collapse]

Catching up to her two party members, Kooky quickly informs them of the elemental and its probable whereabouts, and that they should keep their heads on a swivel when entering the camp. Also to not talk loudly. Or move loudly, in Accan's case.

As the party nears closer to the start of the bridge, a sudden, yet distant shouting comes from the tower. The sounds of metal hitting metal follows suit, as a blast of fire spurts out one of the broken windows near the top of the tower. With the party pausing their advance until no more sounds can be heard, Maya is about to begin again when the door to the tower is kicked open, and two rather injured up men drag out another, heavily burnt corpse.

"So, I guess they took care of the elemental. Maybe a young one, but they should have definitely lost quite a few people." Kooky whispers, eliciting a glance from Maya before she responds, "If they are missing quite a few people, then we may have a chance in taking them down instead of just sneaking off with the Spirit Ore like I had intended. I'll see about taking out the two outside, Accan, take the kobold and try to find out how many there are left." 

"Oh uh, yes. Sure I'll, I-I'll get right on tha-that." the Elf stutters out before readying himself to start moving again, while Kooky uncaps her quiver and pulls out a bolt. Maya on the other hand, readies her longbow and holds it, waiting to pull the arrow until Kooky and Accan are closer to the door. The door, which slowly swings open, creaking the whole time, allowing Kooky to see into the tower itself. 

A hooded figure arguing with the heavily injured pirate captain, and 3 other pirates tidying up the corpses of all those that died. The remains of the fire elemental seems to have also been put closer to the door. From how many corpses are in the room, Kooky can surmise that the pirates weren't expecting the fire elemental at all, and they might not be expecting  anyone to try and take back the stolen parts and Spirit Ore.

With a quick thumbs up to Accan, who is trying to pull his shield off his back silently, Kooky sprints into the building, casting Catapult onto the bolt she was holding and slamming it into an unsuspecting pirate, killing him instantly. Hearing two thuds from outside, Kooky beings to prepare another spell as Accan also enters, bashing a second pirate onto the ground, either killing, or knocking them unconscious, Kooky can't tell.

The sudden distraction takes the pirate captains attention away from the hooded figure, who then tries to grab at the bag the captain is holding, but fails as the captain rushes at Accan. Slashing a dagger that suddenly appeared in his hand at Accan, the captain whiffs both swings, and his remaining crew also whiffs a hastily shot crossbow bolt at Kooky, embedding itself into the door. Maya jumps in over Accan, clotheslining the captain with a swing of her longsword, before rolling and immediately launching an arrow into the last pirates skull. 

With the hooded figure being all that remains, Kooky launches a bolt right at their center mass, and all three of them stare in wonder as the bolt simply stops mid air, right before it falls to the ground. Seeing this, Accan quickly grabs the bag, checks it for the Spirit Ore, and runs away as soon as he's confirmed it. Maya quickly grabs Kooky and carries her before running from the tower as well. The hooded figure does try to follow, but quickly stops as a gust of wind threatens to pull down their hood, but it was enough for Kooky, who is being carried on Maya's shoulder by now, to see the exceedingly blurred face of an elderly Human-like man, in the process of mummification.

"What.. the.. fuck.. was that.. guy? Did either of.. of you two.. see Kooky's bolt.. just stop and fall?" Maya wheezes out, after roughly sprinting for half and hour, with Kooky on her back. They didn't run in the direction of their airship, instead running parallel to it, but hey, they at least got away from them.

"I-I don't think.. any nor.. normal per.. person can do that?" Accan almost asks between breaths, looking at Kooky who is still just staring at the direction they ran from. Kooky had been told stories by her father about various powerful spellcasters, but very few could stop spells without even using a spell themselves, and Kooky really wants to learn how to do that.

"Hello? Kooky? You hear us?" Maya bonks Kooky on the head after putting her down and resting for a few minutes of strained, and awkward silence.

"Yeah yeah, that was cool, I know." Kooky exclaims, excitedly looking at both Maya and Accan, while the two of them look at each other confused and surprisingly worried. "I mean, imagine how knowledgeable he has to be of magic in order to simply make a spell stop like that, without even using their own spell, something like counterspell?! Oh I probably made a really bad first impression on him, maybe I should go back and apologi-"

"You are not going back to apologize Kooky! He'll probably kill you! And, you still need to get the airship to work again, so come on." Maya snaps at the insane Kobold, before grabbing Kooky's claw and pulling her towards where the airship had landed a while ago. Accan hands the Spirit Ore to Kooky, and she sighs before making sure she didn't lose any tools in the quick escape. Guess I'm gonna be stuck with these  people for a while. Pops did warn me about clingy Half-Humans, and how they love being friends with amazing people like myself. Fuck.

Unbeknownst to the trio, however, they were being followed by a compatriot of the hooded, blurry man. Sneakily, secretly, they were being spied on.

0