Chapter 14: New Tricks.
675 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Birds are chirping with joy, a gentle and cold breeze is slowly caressing my body, and beams of sunlight are warming my eyelids.

I opened my eyes. "Is it already the morning." I put my hand in front of my eyes to stop sunlight.

My head is aching like it never did before, my body is screaming in pain, and my stomach is empty. I am still alive. That's a good thing if I can consider my current situation being alive. "I slept enough. I must get up immediately."

I placed my arms to the ground and began pushing my body upwards.

Because the fight weakened my arms, I struggled while trying to get up. My body felt heavier than ever, and my arms were shaking like crazy, trying to lift the weight of my body.

I staggered as I stood up.

"Forcing myself that much was bad but should do for survival act."

I started a quick check-up to see my body's current situation.

"No limbs seem to be lost, but there is a huge bruise on my chest."

I coughed with pain that spread from my lungs to my whole chest. It felt like thousand needles pierced through my inner organs.

After all, I wasn't that okay.

And hunger and thirst are making it worse. I must find food and drinkable water immediately, but in my current condition of being a little worn off, I might need a little support while searching.

I crouched to grab my polehammer from the ground.

A shout, and stood up once again as grabbed the weapon.

"That hurt a lot."

I began walking towards a wooden barrel. I didn't struggle a lot while walking, thanks to my polehammer, which I used as a walking stick.

I am getting closer to the barrel, but my steps started getting shorter and shorter, and the weight on my legs increases with every step I took.

"Only a little bit more."

The thirst and hunger are pulling my body down.

"Only one more step." Words barely got out of my mouth.

My mouth feels like a desert, and my stomach is burning because of hunger.

I began gritting my teeth. "I can complain much as I want about my situation after I reach this damn barrel."

One more step forward, and I almost reached it. I can feel the wooden texture of it with my hands.

"Almost," I whispered as my legs stopped working and collapsed forward.

My hands hit the barrel and knocked the barrel down.

The water inside the barrel began flowing out. I opened my mouth to drink some of it. The water was cold but refreshing.

Thanks to the water, my body began getting back to itself again.

I used the barrel as support and got up from the ground. A sudden gone of thirst hit my head with an ache, but it was worth it.

"I probably have something to eat." I opened my pack and grabbed some nuts and a piece of dried meat.

I spotted a small stool to sit on and began eating my snacks, but as I took the first bite, blue screens started appearing, like the time before.

[Guidline Level Increased: More detailed explanation, and instead, access over knowledge gained.]

Sounds pretty good. Almost anything that will help me to understand what the hell is going is acceptable for me.

[New feat achieved: Killing the Goblin Shaman.

Rewards: Acces to basics of ice magic.

New spell: Ice shot.

Description: With mana focused, on the one hand, the user can shot a sharp piece of ice with high velocity towards forward for a low mana cost.

New passive ability: Shamans predictions.

Description: User can sense some of the possible dangers nearby.

Things listed are increased: User's mana pool, cold resistance, physical strength.

Curse Of The Lich is almost ready to activate. Side curses are now activated:

The skin of the undead: Holy Light damages your skin, but User gained increased resistance to dark magic.

Unstable mind: Bloodlust might cause User to lose control over his body.]

What a long list. I did not understand anything as well. I suppose I just learned magic, and now my skin can resist dark magic, but it is weak against holy magic.

Like hell, I know what these things are, but most importantly, what the hell is Curse Of The Lich? And why the hell am I cursed.

I put my hand to my forehead and began shaking my head slowly. "I need to learn how this world works.

At least I can search the shaman's hut while thinking about the recent events.

I entered the shaman's hut, that's miraculously not burned while the fire spread through the town.

Treasure spread everywhere, expensive rugs, pieces of jewelry, gold coins, and a chest that I somehow missed when I first entered inside.

I began thinking and playing with my beard that is slowly growing.

"Hmmm... I cannot take everything in here, but I must pick the most expensive things I can carry in one go. I might come here for more treasure in the future, but for now, I don't have plans of coming back anytime."

The wisest thing to do might be to open the chest, as I suppose the most expensive treasure probably will be inside of that. Still, I don't have a key for its lock.

"Brute force then it is." I raised my polehammer into the air and began hitting the chest lock.

After a short symphony of two metal objects colliding with each other. The chest popped opened.

"What a disappointment," I said while looking at the chest filled with gold. "Maybe there is something under it."

I pushed the chest down, and the gold inside flowed outside. Behind the gold coins, the treasure I will consider as my most important was lying.

"Books!" I shout with happiness. "The things that I needed!"

I grabbed the book and started to inspect its cover with my hand. The soft leather cover of the book felt so close to home, I almost cried.

I opened a random page and touched its paper. Yes, it was the paper I remember from all the old books inside my family mansions library.

Sadly, I do not know the alphabet of this world, so I cannot read anything.

With some hope, I called Voice's help. "Voice, could you translate this paragraph." I touched the page with my finger showing one of the sentences.

After some blur, meaningless words started to disappear, and something more readable started to appear.

"So the gods said. We, the mighty ones, shall send our champions to protect you, our dear children. All the true believers, don't be scared to lose your life for your fate! We, the gods and goddesses of this world, will reward you with a seat in our heaven. As there is no place like there in this world."

I don't care about all the religious bullshit. I can read this world's language. "Voice, thank you!" I shout.

I put the book on my pack and grabbed some gold and jewelry from the ground. "Religion means signs of civilization. A book means a more advanced one."

I exit the shaman's hut to find something more to eat.

I began searching the other huts inside the goblin town.

I sighed. "Almost everything is either rotten or burned. At least I found some tools." A shovel, and an ax, also lots, and lots of ropes, things that I can use in making traps.

As I finished searching the last goblin hut, I heard a similar sound.

It was a goblin, with a sack on his back, looting the remainings.

"What a good testing board. I wanted to try that ice magic."

As the description said, I pointed my hands towards my target.

"Now, Voice, what I will do," I asked my reliable (?) guideline for some help.

"Focus on your fingers," Voice said. "The mana will pass through your body and gather at the exit point, then stop focussing for activation of the magic."

I felt weird as something passed through my body and finished its small tour at the end of my fingers.

"Now, I must stop focusing, I assume."

The tip of my fingers began glowing blue. A piece of ice began appearing from the air.

I aimed towards the goblin's head and closed my fingers. Ice piece fired at a disappointing speed and pierced through the still unaware goblin's chest, not killing the creature but putting it into a situation where it will suffer until it dies because of bloodlust.

I looked at my fingers. "Better than nothing, but I must train to use this ability more efficiently."

23