Rewritten Chapter 17: Great Graywolf Pt2.
580 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Humans are weak creatures compared to all of the other children of mother nature. We are not strong as a gorilla neither agile as a tiger.

But there was a single thing that made humans rise among all of the children of nature and created a special throne for it.

Gadgets.

To build the perfect death road for that beast, I am making spears and ropes with every piece of wood and plant fiber I get my hands on.

Something big as that wolf could not move freely inside this forest, trees may not be too dense, but still, they are close enough to each other to limit the beast's movement.

If I can land on top of the beast, I might attack the wolf while traps injure and keep its focus away from me.

But I need to improve if I want to get rid of that thing for good. I designed most of my traps for goblins and not for a wolf big as an African elephant.

Long story short, they are not powerful enough for the wolf, and to make them deadlier, I will increase the tension on ropes to increase the launch speed of the spears.

Still, one type of trap won't be enough. I plan spiked balls to damage its head and spear traps hidden under the ground to damage the wolf's tummy.

For last and the best, two spiked walls placed underground and specially designed to make a toast out of that big doggy.

I used pointy and sharp metal objects I gathered from various enemies I defeated to make that trap. If wood can penetrate its skin, metal can kill.

But the most crucial part is not the effectiveness of my trap but keeping the wolf on the line.

Wolf comes here and walks through a straight path once a week, at least that's what Voice told me.

If the wolf walks through the trapped path as I hope, there are many things I can do to stop it from changing its course.

Like trapping the ways, it can change its direction and blocking the exit with another trap as it moves inside.

Not many things are left, except placing the last traps, then the wolf will come two days later if what Voice said is true.

That day will be the one showing if I can beat that thing and survive for another encounter in the future, or I forced my limits too much, a bet where I place my very own life at the table.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Two days passed as they were nothing. Forest is still the same, except skeletons also stopped annoying me inside my cave.

I know why goblins stopped moving around my territory, and it isn't hard to guess why skeletons stopped neither.

Something that can chew metal armor like gum is too much, even for stupid skeletons that attack everything on their sight.

Maybe even too much for me. I wonder who is the fool, me or the skeletons?

Still, at worst, I might climb on a tree and try to escape, like a monkey fleeing from a predator.

A howl echoed from far. It is getting closer.

The giant beast with killing intends surpassing anything I encountered. With the wind caressing his fur, slowly coming towards me, step by step. Unaware of what is waiting for it.

It isn't a hunter or a predator but a killer.

With a rope in my hand, I am waiting for the beast to pass a certain point.

After it passes the point I marked, I will pull the rope, and the first set of traps will block its exit, then I can jump top of it.

Then I will let myself into the flow of the combat. I based my whole plan on the chance of the wolf hitting every trap on the path.

It passed. Now!

I pulled the rope I had been holding. Two spiked walls launched from the ground and caused the giant beast to jump forward.

The confused beast began growling and looking around. Good thing it isn't looking towards his up.

I shouted as I jumped towards the top of the giant beast with the tip of my polehammer directed towards the wolf.

The spearlike tip of my weapon penetrated the Great Graywolfs fur and caused the creature to whimper in pain.

With my left hand wrapped around the polehammer, I raised my right hand and started preparing an ice shard.

But it isn't that easy to focus while the giant beast is jumping around trying to bite me.

Thankfully its neck is not long enough to bite me, so I am safe from its fangs, which blood and saliva covered and almost long as my short sword.

I released the magic and shot the ice shard towards the beast's head while it tried to bite me. I suppose it hurt because I heard a loud growl, and the wolf began running with all of his strength.

I wasn't expecting that thing to accelerate this fast and almost fell because I was only holding the polehammer stuck on the wolf's back with one hand.

I suppose wolf noticed that because it increased its speed drastically.

Wolf kept running until it finally triggered one of my traps, and a wooden spear launched in lightning speed penetrated the left of its chest.

Wolf screamed in pain and began shaking its body like crazy. I am hardly holding the polehammer in its place because of the wolf shaking itself. The tip is shredding the flesh it stuck on and slowly leaving its body.

Wolf began running once again, and this time it crashed itself into a tree, and because of the impact, I and the polehammer dropped from the wolf's back.

At least the weapon damaged his flesh more before dropping.

Wolf shook his body one more time and began growling and showing his fangs to me. It is tightening its body and preparing for an attack.

I pointed my weapon towards the beast and took a stance. I am ready to dodge and punish the upcoming attack.

I doubt if something big as that will be able to attack constantly. One hit will be enough to kill me, but missing that shot will also mean risking itself too.

Wolf stopped growling and leaped forward. It is much more agile than anything I saw in this forest, including other wolves.

Thankfully I managed to roll to the side and dodge its giant fangs.

After sliding a little on the ground, I jumped to get back on my foot and swung my weapon forwards.

With an unexpected move, the beast evaded the incoming attack in an instant by dashing backward.

Thankfully it triggered a trap, and a wooden spear launched from its back got stuck on his back leg.

Wolf began trying to take the spear out of his body and forgot about me.

"I am not going to let this chance go to waste. See you never." I turned my back to the wolf and began running away from it, fast as I could run.

After running for some time, I looked towards my back to see if the wolf was still coming after me.

"God damn it, it won't forget about me."

Wolf is running and slowly closing the distance between us. Thankfully it isn't careful, and it keeps triggering the traps placed on the way.

But if traps cannot do anything more than slowing it, should I even be thankful. There is still one I hope can finish the wolf for good.

I moved towards the marked last trap and began waiting for the wolf.

The Giant beast is running towards me at an extreme speed. It won't take long until it reaches me.

His fangs are slowly turning from sharp objects to swords made out of bone and covered with blood and flesh, ready to shred anything it touches as it gets closer.

"Close enough," I whispered and took a step back only seconds later.

Wolf leaped towards me. I managed to dodge his bite, but I took a risk to bait the beast into the designated area.

At least trap will hit the beast, but I need to survive its giant claws. I raised my pole hammers to the handle to block them.

The wolf took one step forward as it slashed his paw forward.

And I almost succeed in blocking the beast's paw. Almost.

I screamed in pain and collapsed to the ground but managed to trigger the trap before. At the same time, the walls of spears launched from the ground and toasted the beast.

Woods was not powerful enough to kill the beast, but Iron did it. Tens of sharp metal objects penetrated the wolf's flesh and killed the beast in an instant.

Wolf is dead. There is no doubt of it, but my chest.

I slowly looked towards the injury on my chest. It is big and currently bleeding. I hope I won't need to stitch that. But I need to stop the bleeding fast, but how?

"Cold." I ripped out my shirt and wrapped it around my chest. But it won't be enough. I need to use something cold to help the bleeding to stop faster.

"I hope you will work." I created an ice shard and shot it towards the ground. Ice crystals scattered around, so I grabbed the biggest ones I found and began applying pressure towards the wound.

Killing the wolf was not the hard as I thought, but I put my life on the line this time. I appreciate the strength this beast possesses, but this world is too small for two Graywolfs.

24