Chapter 42: Reached the Forge.
242 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They accepted. I don't know that's because my words convinced them or anything else affected it, but I don't care.

They will help me, at least until I start a riot and take control of the Dwarven fortress. Do I need help from these four people? No, none of them except Grumps can help me.

Still, I need everyone who can hold a weapon in my lines.

The plan is simple. Wardens send four to ten people to Ancient City every three days. We will recruit these people, and meanwhile, I also raise an army of undead to support them.

After a small talk with Grumps and the group, we decided on moving to an old forge. It has machinery and equipment to craft new weapons, and Grumps said forges walls are sturdy enough to keep Mud Walkers out.

But the main reason I supported choosing the old forge is we need weapons if we want to take the fortress.

I know one thing, number advantage might be enough to defeat lightly-armored wardens, but without great equipment, better trained and equipped knights sent by the person who controlled this place before can easily crush our rebellion.

Thats why forge is the perfect place, it has needed tools and resources for such an act, and every prisoner here made weapons or armor if not processed raw materials.

I assume we can create enough weapons to equip everyone, plus the undead I will be raising with forge under our hands.

I will also have other plans, but they are for the future. Like recruiting Mud walkers and Hollows into my forces, but they need to wait for some time.

"Sir king," Grumps said. "I know, it will be a stupid question, but did you talk with the Goddes of Mercy?"

"You don't need to call me king, Grumps." I am not a king, for now. "For your question. Yes, I did, and I assume she will contact me in the future when we successfully conquer this fortress, but for now, we should focus on two things. Finding good gear, and going to First Dwarven kings tomb."

"Yes. We should focus on our current quest." He was kind of excited.

"Grumps, can I ask a question. Which gods do dwarfs believes." That old dwarf is one of the only living creatures with the luxury of seeing the world before the Empire betrayed her allies.

"Most dwarfs prayed on God of Craftsmanship, but to properly answer your question, yes dwarfs did believe on gods now are prohibited by the Empire."

"Thank you, your answer is enough." Now, I see the big picture.

There had been a civil fight among the gods. That's why Empire betrayed the dwarven kind.

It will be something interesting to mess with it, but let's focus on surviving first.

"Hollow! I saw a hollow coming towards us from far!" Optimist's, who we assigned for scouting, shout from far.

"Your collar! It is coming towards us because of your collar." Young dwarf shout. "Wear it again, or move away from us."

I didn't answer him. He might be scared of the Hollow, but I am glad it is coming towards us. I already wanted to try to control one of them.

The earth began shaking as the giant made out of melted corpses got closer to us.

I jumped out of the undead Mud Walker I was riding. "Move away, and let me show you what happens to the undead who thinks that they can challenge the Lich King!"

Everyone moved away from me as the giant abomination increased its speed.

"Good thing I learned a trick or two from old liches." I snapped my fingers. "Punish undead." Purple flames covered the giant abomination in an instant.

Screams of thousand of creatures are coming from the abomination.

It is moving right to next, bumping the things around it. Its vast body is making it a one-person demolition team. It already collapsed two buildings by just crashing into them.

There is still a problem as well. The thing is not stopping, punish undead stopped both that flaming guy and the skeleton knight in the past, but it doesn't seem to have an exact effect on that thing.

It only drains its vitality bar and causes great pain to it.

"Stop!" I used the control undead spell to slow the Hollow, but it isn't working. The abomination is still moving uncontrollably and screaming with pain.

"So, Lich King, are you planning to stop that creature at any time?" It is the Bricks.

"I am trying, as you can see, but that thing isn't stopping!" I won't risk my life for an experiment. I will kill this creature right now.

I created a flame spear and threw it towards the Hollow, but the damage it dealt was laughable. The vitality bar of the creature didn't ever change!

"For notes! These guys are pretty durable against fire or magic, maybe both!" Then the only possible way for me to kill this thing is by using punish undead spell, then avoiding getting crushed by the uncontrollable beast.

I snapped my fingers, and purple flames covered the Hollow one more time. I stepped back a bit for safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Secret side quest finished: Destroy the abomination of the Empire.

Rewards: Increased curse resistance, increased mana pool, and new ice spell.

Frozen Skin: With a cost of 500 mana, the user will cover chosen parts of its body with damage-absorbing ice plates.

I closed the screen just popped up. A defensive spell is good, but I need to think of an effective way to use it in combat.

Rewards: Increased physical attributes.

And that's the usual, but I am surprised. Hollows are not boss monsters, but they look like one.

"My experiment is a failure. In my current state of power, I am unable to control these powerful abominations. How sad. I had great plans for these creatures."

I climbed to the back of the Mud Walker I was riding. "Let's get back on moving. We have forge to find, remember?"

No one said anything, and we began moving once again, and shortly after, we reached an enormous building with some dusty machinery around it.

"We reached the forge," Grumps said, then he moved towards the door of the building and slowly opened it.

Forge was big enough for humans and dwarfs to live, but not big enough for a Mud walker to live, so other than some pests, inside was clear from monsters.

"Let's begin searching for weapons." Our groups dismantled and began searching every corner of the building.

Our research lasted until Optimist shouted. "I found it."

We hastily moved to the place where the sound came.

It was a scene worth seeing. Every type of weapon you can think of is there, from sabers to double-edged battle axes. From kite shields to knifed gloves. Anything you can want. Including a metal prosthetic arm.

While others played with the weapons, I grabbed the prosthetic arm and placed it at my amputated arm.

My arm began tickling, like my arm and prosthetic just created a bond with each other, and seconds after, the prosthetic arm began adjusting its size. I assume the thing is magical.

I began using my arm once again like nothing ever happened to it. I looked at Grumps. "What is that thing." I know it is a prosthetic arm, but it can adjust its size and connect itself to my body without my touch.

He began playing with his beard. "I don't know, but if I guess it is a runic artifact designed especially for dwarven soldiers that lost their limbs in battles."

"Good, really good." I focused the mana on my body into the prosthetic arm and created a piece of ice on its tips. "And it can even use magic. That made my day."

I began looking through weapons. The skeleton knights claymore was great, but I don't have that anymore. Maybe a polehammer can be good.

And I found just what I wanted. I found a lucerne hammer with a gilded handle.

I grabbed the weapon and swung around a bit. It is too long for a dwarf but perfect for my size. Also, for a pole weapon at its size, it is very light.

"Grumps! What do you think about this weapon?"

I threw the weapon towards the old dwarf, and he caught it mid-air and began inspecting it.

"Gilds and handle are good, and the weapon is quite balanced. I say the dwarf who made this weapon is probably pretty proud of its work, but wait! There is something more." His eyes opened, and his eye pupils began shaking.

"The metal used at the top of this weapon is the most interesting thing," He held his breath for some time then began talking with an excited voice.
"My king, I can proudly say it is a mithril weapon. I only saw mithril a couple of times, but no dwarf can forget how it looks once they see it.

I allowed Grumps to inspect the weapon a bit more. "My friend, I want to ask a question. What is mithril, and why is it so important?"

He didn't even look at me but began talking. "Mithril is one of the rarest and strongest metals known to dwarf kind. Old legends say gnomes, protectors, and creators of all metals gifted this to the dwarven kind."

He began moving his fingers around the mithril part of the weapon. "I can't say how much I missed the feeling of this metal." He gave the polehammer back to me.

I grabbed the weapon. "A weapon strong enough to carry a Lich king's legacy. I should name it, but what name is good enough for it?"

I know the perfect name, "Tumultuari."

10