Chapter 49: Meeting With The Kobold King
141 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, Silvertower, when we will stop wandering inside castle's corridors. It's been quite some time, and I need to finish my speech. There are still more things I need to explain."

 

Because of a crisis, Ancient Dwarven King Silvertower called me.

 

Dwarven mines, which seemed to have an endless amount of underground riches before, now lost everything it had, no silvers, no gold, no mithril, nothing.

 

And that is a big problem. I had plans to use the mining network established by dwarfs in weapon development and trade.

 

Thankfully it looks like Silvertower has a plan hidden under his sleeve to help me, but if I also knew what that plan was, everything could be much better.

 

"What, you are not going to explain anything? Great, let's keep moving inside till we reach somewhere."

 

Silvertower sighed. "Please shut your mouth for a second. I am trying to remember something."

 

He stopped and began hitting his head, but with sudden enlightenment, he turned right and punched the wall in front of him. Behind the broken stones, a corridor showed itself.

"Now, I can answer your questions, come on, keep following me." Silvertower entered the corridor.

 

"Well, I only have one question, where are we going? You know, it isn't the best time to explore your castle. I still need a new arm, weapon, armor; then I must work for countless hours to finish my plans."

 

Silvertower didn't answer until we reached a room filled with weaponry and treasures.

 

"I built this room while I was still alive, hoping one day an aspiring dwarven king will find it and use what I left to this world for his kind's good."

 

But it appears that the dwarven king he expected never came, and the room stayed hidden for all of its presence.

 

"And as you expected, that person never came, but it doesn't mean I should waste all of these things here. Go and pick whatever you want. These are the finest things made by me. They are no match for artifacts given by gods but will do good enough for you."

 

I am looking at the best showcase I have ever seen, from weapons of any kind, and armors of every color, to many many different gadgets, inside here is a blessing.

 

"Then I will start with this." I moved towards a prosthetic arm and grabbed it from the dusty showcase it rested for many years. It was still good as new.

 

"Good choice," Silvertower's voice was cheerful. "It is made from mithril and designed to increase both magical capabilities and strength of its user. You can even place a mana crystal inside it for extra power."

 

Great, and it has a design worth for its attributes. Various gems decorate it, and beautiful gravings are a cherry at the top, but one thing is weird. The arm has a hollow point at the middle, a big one.

 

I placed the gadget to my lost arm, and after some tweaks, the thing adjusted its size, then connected itself with my body.

 

I began closing and opening my hand.

 

"It feels great, but I wonder how effective it is to strengthen magic. Can I taste it inside here?"

 

"Feel free to use whatever you want. Inside here is pretty big."

 

Silvertower looks excited. I wonder that's because someone is using things he forged? Well, let's give him a show then, let the magic flow through my body.

And at the tips of my new prosthetic arm, a fire sparked and began growing, and slowly it turned into a ball of fire that constantly turns around itself and whistles while doing it. It will be much stronger than the magic I used before.

 

And at the moment fire stopped growing and formed the shape of a spear, I threw it towards the roof.

 

Spear roared as it left my hands with an incredible speed and left a trail of fire behind it.

 

Waves of blazing fire were leaking from the projectile as it flew through the air until it hit a wall, where it exploded with a huge radius.

 

"Silvertower, my friend, I don't even know the words to use right now. This thing is incredible, I must say. I am deeply admiring your work right now."

 

But he wasn't standing where he was a second before, I began looking around to find him, but I stopped when I felt his giant arm on my shoulder.

 

"Then what will you say about this one." He handed a sword to my hand.

 

A greatsword, probably the third biggest weapon I saw after the second weapon used by Alexandros and the giant ax used by that Draugr back in the forest.

 

I began swinging the sword in the air, and I must say, it is a great weapon. "Good balance and its handle are great."

 

"And it is razor-sharp."

 

Great, now I am back at using swords as my primary weapon.

 

"Now, I have a new weapon and an arm. Can we go back to the fortress?"

 

Silvertower was a bit angry. "Fortress and your ideas can wait. You will first go and see Kobold King. Without his permission, we won't be able to do anything."

I must say, I am having some suspicion from all of his sudden acts.

 

"Stop your ridiculous acts Silvertower. I must say that I found them very suspicious. Don't make me remember you who is the undead and who is the Lich."

 

Silvertower roared with temper. "You are a fool as the other humans! If I wanted you dead, you would be a long time ago. I left my throne a long time ago, and I don't have any intentions to take it back."

 

"Then stay away from my choices, and let me finish what I have started. I can later deal with that Kobold King of yours."

 

Silvertower took a step forward. He looks pretty angry.

 

"I warn you one more time, Lich. Kobold King will not wait, but people will."

 

What exactly makes that creature so important for Silvertower to act like this?

 

The ground began shaking, and a thunderous scream echoed through the castle. It feels like the world is splitting into two.

 

"And see what you caused." Silvertower threw a set of armor and a sheet for my sword towards me. "Be fast and wear it. We need to go."

 

I began hastily wearing the armor. I suppose I shouldn't question Silvertower from the beginning.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

We are walking inside the abandoned tunnels of dwarven mines. I don't know where we are going, but that earthquake was enough for me to stop questioning Silvertower.

 

"When do you think we will find Kobold King."

 

Silvertower sighed. "I don't know. I don't even know where he is. I am only hoping that he will show himself to us."

 

Well, that is not great.

 

"Stop!" Silvertower blocked me from moving with his hand. "Did you hear that as well?"

 

"No, I didn't." I draw my sword from its sheet.

 

"Here it comes, duck!"

 

I managed to duck just in time as a very long worm-like creature that jumped out from one of the walls passed right above my head and landed on the ground.

 

"Steelscales." Silvertower pulled out his giant maul from his back and directed it towards the creature. "Here are your challenges. If I only managed to find that place faster."

 

"Don't blame yourself, my giant friend, and give me information. I still don't know who is that Kobold King, why he is sending monsters towards us, and are there any more of these things hidden around here?"

 

"There could be. Keep your blade ready to strike."

 

And just as he said, another Steelscale jumped out from a wall next to me.

 

I thrust my weapon towards the creature and skewer it mid-air. "I killed one."

 

Suddenly the ground shook, but I knew who caused that. "And I killed one too." With one mighty stroke of his weapon, Silvertower turned Steelscale into a paste. The poor creature didn't even stand a chance.

 

"Then let's keep moving." I sheeted my sword.

 

"I agree." Silvertower placed his weapon in its place as well.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

After a short walk, we arrived in a large area, where I suppose dwarf miners once used as a spot to rest.

 

But we weren't alone inside there. A humanoid figure that covered itself with ragged clothing was standing in the middle, giggling.

 

"So, the renowned champion of the goddess has come." The thing began moving towards me.

 

"All-Hearing Ear, King Of The Underground." Silvertower kneeled before the creature.

 

"And what a surprise, WallMaker is here as well, but you are not my concern, child, your time had passed a quite long time ago but he." The creature threw the clothing covering its face away, and under it, something that looked like a humanoid mole appeared.

 

"I suppose you are Kobold King, am I right?"

 

He began touching my armor, but I didn't move. I will let everything flow for now.

 

"War wore your body, but your soul, it is damaged by something else? What is that, my child? Tell me. Tell me the thing that is eating your mind from inside." This guy is scary, but his voice is gentle and caring.

 

"It is the unknown. My knowledge is so limited about this world where I shouldn't be. I don't even know what I should do next."

 

Kobold got excited. "Yes, yes, tell me."

 

"I want to escape from claws of fate. I want revenge, and I want justice. I don't want to be Lich King, nor champion of a goddess."

 

Kobold began playing with his beard. "How sad. I wish I could do something, but my child, you must know that you are bound to one fate you cannot escape."

 

"And what is that fate."

 

Kobold clapped his hand, and a long staff popped out from thin air. "I cannot tell that until you prove your worth."

 

He hit the ground with his staff, and suddenly ground swollen him completely, but his voice was still echoing inside the room.

 

"Bring me her heart."

 

And as words echoed away, an earthquake took their place. A creature, massive enough to shake the whole area simply by moving, is approaching.

 

Silvertower touched my shoulder. "Prepare your weapon, Lich. The mother is coming."

 

8