Arc Zero. Chapter 1: Recall and Beyond
90 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was unsure who I was... All I knew was that one day I was picked up and raised as a Noble. A Noble of the Shinjii Nobilitya influential Noble family based off trade and banking mainly in the Empire of Kawachi.

On that fateful day, three years... My ‘brother’ Shinjii Roy picked up a lone girl clad in a pure-black dress with a pure-black crystal in her hands. Roy took that girl who was me back, and slowly nursed me back to health. He cared for me as an older sibling. Even though I had no recollection of who I was, his care was so tender, I . He would raise me as a Shinjii Noble, which I could do quite well... as strangely enough, I had perfect mannerism for a Noble.  

Then, on a terrible day, we were struck by a unfortune. A venture to a city was intercepted by bandits... I thought I was useless—weak, I left everything to Roy. Only... only... 

… only when despair and hopelessness struck... did a miracle – no, maybe a curse – happen; black shards foamed to existence and struck down the bandits... But it was too late, as my brother’s life was taken... 

… … … 

“And... here I am, two years later...” I struck the wall with a dark shard... “... why—why did I have to awaken this power after all that... despair...?”  

Footsteps came down from the stairs. “Tenshi--…?” My little sister, Kou... 

“Ah...” That... was not the best example for her to see... “It’s... nothing...” I told Kou, holding her hand... 

Much had change in these past two years... Where we are, the Empire of Kawachi, was at war with the Holy Kingdom of Astera. The initial victories seemed great, until a sudden battle occurred which costed many lives for the Empire. Ever since then, the Empire has been in a large decline; so much so I was planning to escape with Shina before any draft for the Nobles comes.  

I also helped Kou pack a small case of items we could bring with us if we need to leave right away.  

… I was fairly certain we might need to; my instincts told me so... 

War would almost certainly be our deaths, as I lacked any Magic Potential to be a Magician, and Kou was gifted in Magic so she would almost certainly be taken in and abused as a weapon of war.  

… yet just a piece of me hoped for our future to stay with the Empire... 

… ... ... 

But now, such idea was a long gone thought. Especially since I’ve heard about the upcoming Noble draft. 

“I’m--… still thinking, but... Please prepare to leave at any instant Kou.” I patted her head, trying my best to comfort her...  

Yet I knew this would never end peacefully... 

3