XXIX
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

LINK WAS only able to say a few words of comfort to Komali, but both of them knew that it had little effect. Komali wiped his tears away, angry at his emotional outburst, and stormed off to his tasks.

Now alone with Tetra, Link snapped his gaze to her.

"Just what did you do to these poor people?" he demanded.

"I robbed them," she said tersely. "Just like anyone else."

"But they're good people," Link said, "not like that shopkeep..."

Tetra made a smug smile as Link trailed off.

"Ah," she said, "I thought I saw a little spy that night. You're quite poor at the art of sneaking."

Link shook his head. "Regardless, you had no right to do that to them."

"Right?" she laughed, "they were foolish enough to fall for our scams. They were bad enough warriors that they could fly, and we still got away with it."

Link clenched his fists. "Tetra, if we ever get out of this, you will repay them. If not in money, then in service. In some way, I wont let you get away with this. I thought you were better than this."

He turned, and Tetra began walking with him. She kept her eyes out of his view. Maybe she felt some shred of guilt. Maybe she was annoyed with him. Whatever the case, the king was right. Now was not the time.

As they entered back in the main hall of the cavern, the upper tiers had now been cleared out, and a large mass of white feathers and clothing was now gathered at the cavern floor. There wasn't much organization to the massive throng, and some families seemed to be restless, pushing against the guards, who were trying, and failing, to divide the people into groups.

"C'mon," Link said as he attempted to stifle his anger. "Let's find Medli."

"How do expect to find her in this fletching mess?" Tetra said. "Why didn't you ask your friend?"

"Komali was mourning the possible loss of his home," Link turned to her and bored his gaze into hers. "I thought it wise, and compassionate to leave him be."

"Well because you didn't ask him," Tetra said, "we're going to run around like fools getting nowhere."

"Yes," Link said, "because that is the most important thing to miss pragmatist."

"Well Mr. only-does-what-his-heart-feels, maybe by comforting all these people with a caring speech will solve all their problems."

Link took in a sharp, pained breath, and turned away from her. It took a great deal of effort to keep from getting more angry, and only giving her more opportunity to make him look like the one in the wrong.

He retreated into his mind, turning to the problem at hand. They were in this large cavern, with little knowledge of all the many tunnels, living spaces, and other rooms. They needed some amount of help.

Link began traveling down the extensive stairways. There were many Rito crowding them, trying to press their way down, and out. The sound of families trying to get out and escape was not only very loud, but very heartbreaking.

He looked into the eyes of a mother Rito, trying to comfort very young children. Link felt guilt. This time, it was not about his inadequacy. He felt guilty, that this kind of suffering was going on in the world, and he was instead bickering with Tetra about how she should be better.

One part of his brain questioned whether Ganondorf really was behind the eruption. It could just be the natural volcanic cycle. But whether it was or not, didn't really matter. Link had been chosen by the goddesses to bring hope to their people. He was tasked with instilling the spirit of Farore in them. The will to grow. The desire to change, adapt, and stay firm when hard times came.

Link allowed his anger to dissipate, and he made eye contact with the mother, and smiled. The weary look in her eyes was replaced with a bit of confusion as Link reached into his satchel, and pulled out two biscuit rations.

He was barely able to hand them to her before she embraced him, sobbing quietly. He resisted the natural reaction to buckle under the awkward act, but instead put her arm reassuringly against her.

She drew away, holding the two biscuits, dry and meager. To her however, she held them like they were precious stones.

"I... I'm sorry."

"Do not be sorry," Link smiled, getting a bit teary. 

"Thank you," the mother said quietly.

He began to turn away.

"You're him, aren't you?"

"Yes," he said turning back around, "I think."

"You saved Valoo. You saved us."

"And I would do it again," he said. "I'd stop up the fire from the mountain if I could."

The Rito looked down at her biscuits, and extended them back to him.

"No," Link said, "being able to help in some small measure, means more to me than a bit of food."

The mother said thanks to him again, as she tore up the biscuits for her children. As she did so, the children... they grabbed up the small little crumbs that fell on the floor. 

He felt deep sorrow. Maybe Tetra was right. He should focus more on what would serve a practical purpose. Link may have helped this family, but there were many more on this island alone that could be suffering just as much, or worse.

He felt a buzzing in his satchel, and took out the blue crystal. 

Kid, I've grabbed Komali. He found someone to do his job. He thinks he knows where Medli is.

"Okay," Link said quietly.

The light faded from the crystal as Link went back up the steps. He gazed into it, with its rippling surface, unlike any gem or rupee he'd heard of. How much was this worth? How many families could it feed?

What other treasures did Tetra have that could help others? Had any families become impoverished because of her actions?

This wandering pirate had such a shifting place in his mind. She was brilliant. She was also a thief. And for all he'd said to her in ancient Hyrule, she looked capable of killing.

But she also seemed fragile. And the goddesses saw something in her. A fiery rogue that seemed uncaring about religion. And they'd chosen a boy who had scarcely faced down a monster in his life, who'd known little hardship in life.

But the goddesses saw something in them. And maybe he could find something in her.

1